• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Browning Auto-5 restoration; A work in progress

Casey Simpson

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2008
Louisiana
BELGIAN c. 1965 Auto 5 20 Gauge.

My uncle's bird gun who's been deceased 33 years today.

a4o9rq.jpg

2eas7k7.jpg

2dca6wh.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">BEFORE</span>

xgcvt5.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">BEFORE</span>

9fsgo2.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">AFTER</span>

rvx1zc.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">AFTER</span>
2cntuee.jpg

More to come so stay tuned...
wink.gif

Re: Browning Auto-5 restoration; A work in progress

AFTER receiving the gun, but BEFORE bluing.

After Scotchguard pad, 500grit sanding, 1000, 2000 (muscle/elbow grease), buffing. I know. Two little parts have to come off. Have to make a run for a roll pin drift.

2z9k6ft.jpg

Maybe I should leave this way? Well.

Great job! I've always liked a GOOD deep blueing on a shotgun, especially but that's just me.

Looks great from these pix! I would go ahead turn it upside down and punch those roll pins down toward the top of the receiver to get those last parts out. You have already gone this far why not go all the way? Great job!

Keep us posted....

i did the same thing to my grandfathers light 12. its the same year as yours is. 1965. a year before i was born. i had a guy go over the stock too and recut the checkering and clean up the lines. he also re-enforced the fore end since it was starting to crack. i didnt blue it, i just went thru all the internals and cleaned lubed it all. shoots like a dream

You gonna go back with the rust blueing?

BTW love me some A5's little less forgiving on recoil compared to some of the newer semi shotguns but they'll run damn near forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You gonna go back with the rust blueing?</div></div>

How could you NOT rust blue an A5?
shocked.gif
wink.gif

A-5 Brownings had a blue from a tank just like guns do today. The difficult part of a A-5 restore is getting a finish that looks original on the wood. It is high gloss and takes allot of time and layers. And like axeman says you will have to have someone clean up the checkering and that can get expensive if yo do not know someone handy.

just for info, i had the checkering recut and rubbed 10 coats of tung with 0000 steel wool rubdowns inbetween. i used a ramline plastic replacement stock set. this guy retired after he recut my checkering. i found an old A5 buttplate too with the old style script on it. but if you want the checkering done, id think you would do it before the clear coating so the lines are as sharp as possible. he said he mixed wood dust with epoxy and added it to the inside of the fore end where it was cracked. its solid now and i could tell it was cracked before i sent it to him

5836173625_c5a8ec8ea5_b.jpg

5836173613_dc0d5bdace_b.jpg

i carried that thing all my life til gramps stopped hunting. then he sold it and another browning to a cousin when he needed money to pour a driveway. later on i heard the cousin was ill and selling. $500 bought me my old friend back and i went thru it to fix that broken safety spring that cost me more than a few birds, lol. id have to tilt the thing so it would slide to safe, lol. i could still hit with it though. my gramps took an engraver to the receiver and scrawled his drivers license into it. so its mine forever

Nice I'm ready to see the auto finish on that stock. The original ones were pretty bright and a closely guarded secret. Hope this matches up nicely.

Wow axeman, thats a fine lookn stock.
Yeah, millman, I was trying to get them ready to show you guys on Monday but I'll have to get busy if that happens. The twenty's two big brothers need stripping too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: millman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A-5 Brownings had a blue from a tank just like guns do today. The difficult part of a A-5 restore is getting a finish that looks original on the wood. It is high gloss and takes allot of time and layers. And like axeman says you will have to have someone clean up the checkering and that can get expensive if yo do not know someone handy. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that A5's were rust blued up until sometime in the 60's. I know my dads A5 blueing looks identical to my FN commersial Mauser that is rust blued and neither have been touched except by the factory.

I ran across an old Auto 5 at a gun shop north of Richmond a few weeks back. The more I thought about it the more I wanted it. I went back one evening after work and carried it out the door for $300. Its a pre-war (WW2) 12 ga. Nothing fancy, field grade stock, cracked for arm, surface rust, barrel cut down and a poly choke added - but it still as slick/smooth as the day it came over from Belgium.

I cleaned it up, bought a ramline stock/for arm for it (till I get the original cleaned up and recheckered/refinished. I also bought a new screw set for, spring set, etc. Oh, the new recoil spring from Brownells won't work with the ramline for end. Binds up real bad. I just put the original spring and friction rings back on it.

The original plan was to parkerize it and make it a work gun (also bought the magazine extension tube/spring for it - by the way the statements on the internet that the Remington extended tubes fit the A5 are incorrect. I tried to put the A5 tube on my 1187 yesterday and the threads are different.)

After cleaning it up with 0000 steel wool and 3n1 oil I don't believe I can bear to parkerize it. The bluing's not perfect but its no worse than a lot of guns much newer (this ones over 70 years old now and soon to hit 80 years.)

Has an odd recoil pulse though. I never realized (in looking at them on the shelves) that barrel recoils back into the receiver like it does. Feels weird when the recoil spring pushes that barrel back into position.

I'll be shooting this one a lot more.

81z, sounds like you're having fun. I discovered the Ramline stock this week in the new catalogues - a wise alternative for a guy wanting to preserve the nicer wood stock from the knocks of hauling and hunting.

I learned a long time ago to rack guns muzzle down to prevent oil from discoloring the stock. Also, Art's Gun and Sport Shop restores Browning guns. You might give em a call about re-finishing your wood. One our friends here turned me on to him.

Your observation of the recoil impulse reminds me of a reason these guns wear well; an absence of gas injected into the mechanism as in gas-operated shotguns, and the fired shell remains inclosed by the chamber until much of the gas activity is over since the barrel recoils into the receiver meaning burnt and unburned powder isn't dumped into the lower trigger/follower assembly like in say an 1100 which seem to always be dirty to me.

You probably already know about proper friction ring arrangement and lubrication; like if shooting heavy loads little or no lubrication is recommended.

http://artsgunshop.com/

When I first started taking it apart I thought it was really rusty inside but after getting the trigger housing out I realized that all that brown gooey stuff was not rust. There no pitting inside, just gooey/runny brown stuff (some type of lube that may/may not have deteriorated??) Anyway, between disassembly and carb. cleaner its much cleaner than it was (having trouble getting that one lock screw loose on the right side so I can get the action screw out and completely disassemble it. Oh, I lost my train of thought there (happens more and more these days) while talking about the brown stuff. Your comment made me realize there was little/nothing of burnt powder looking debris/crud inside the receiver.

Since someone already had the barrel shortened and polychoked I'm thinking of getting screw in chokes installed in it. Maybe start looking for a replacement barrel at a gunshow.

Mine is one of the old guns that has the safety in front of the trigger - it pushes forward (like an M1 Garand) to fire and pulls rearward to put it on safe.

I think I'm gonna like it. Wish I'd "found" out about them 30 years ago when I was grouse hunting in the hills. It sure feels lighter than my 1187.

Fantastic thread. Thanks for sharing.

1905Browning12gashotgun.jpg

When I was a 14 year old kid, I was as fast with a shotgun as kids are today with video games. Unfortunately, the family heirloom I got was a Win 1897 12 ga pump with an exposed hammer. That is not nearly as good a shotgun as Browning's 1905 design, that I now hunt with.
A) I bought a Belgian A5 for $185 in a pawn shop [pictured], and it has been almost a never miss gun for me for pheasants, ducks, and trap.
B) I got a 12ga Rem 11 for $62 that also hits everything at the trap range.
C) I have a 20 ga Rem 11 for $62 that does not seem to kill things.
D)I have a 12 ga Browning I got for $200 that can't hit anything.
E) I have a 12 ga Browning 3" with the muzzle swaged for screw in chokes by Stan Baker for $400 that can't hit anything.

What does it all mean?
I love the Browning A5 design.

Clark, I notice a muzzle appearing oval on one last night I was taking apart so I checked both the outside and inside diameter.
0 - 180 degrees the dimension is .692".
90-270 degrees the dimension is .712".
_______
.020" difference.

2/100" I suspect is allot due to the muzzle being key to pattern size and dispersion!

These guns got banged around. The muzzle on this one was crushed probably by someone's clod-hopping size 13 foot in a duck boat or closing the truck door on it.

I'm not a shotgun expert. I suspect a flattened muzzle will affect shot pattern. Perhaps yours is flattened too?

The Rem11 12 ga has a rib, the 3" is swaged, so I don't know about them, but the other 3 all measure round.

I can see from wikipedia:
"Military versions of the Ithaca 37 with duckbill choke were used in limited numbers during the Vietnam War by US Navy Seals."

I spoke with a retired gentlemen who retired after 30 years with Browning as a gunsmith. His advice on fixing a muzzle was drive a brass mandrel into the muzzle. With a brass hammer, peen the muzzle into shape. My measly opinion, since us po folks aint got no mandrel, is to wrap the nuzzle in leather and mash it the other way 'til it measure right.
wink.gif

Now to find a brass mandrel, which is really a cone in geometry.

Stocks, cont'd. Browning Auto-5's being prepped for Automotive Clear coating ultimately, up to 10 coats, buffed. Should appear wet.
wink.gif

Steel to be blued when RadCustom digs out his blueingtanks.

There is a way to remove gun oil from wood that has been absorbed over the years using a heat gun and a slurry of whiting but I chose bleach and soap particularly because my owners think I'm doing more than I should anyway.

After bleaching. Stock was allowed to remain in bleach/water for about 5 minutes. Checkering scrubbed along grain with wire brush. Other part cleaned with fine steel wool. Patted and aired dried immediately. Bleach water solution was about half and half plus a tablespoon of soap.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Before</span> Tung Oil
16lbacz.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">After</span> one coat of Tung oil. Cut Tung oil 50/50 with Mineral Spirits. Dry, bleached wood gulps it and that's good.
The dark spot at the butt is simply a character of the wood.

153s3uo.jpg

Two coats of Tung oil and two coats of Sanding Sealer, rubbing with 0000 steel wool between apps. The dark spot at the butt is simply a character of the wood.

10mojrc.jpg

Applying/curing sanding sealer. Prep by sanding with 400 and 0000 wool.

333a6ut.jpg

Hopefully repairing a crack. Each of these three A5s' forearms are cracked.

2j4v794.jpg

My advice to a client is to get a RamLine stock set so when abusing the gun hunting put that on. When showing off the gun at Christmas time or Billiard night swap back to wood. Price new wood. Butts are over $300.00

<span style="color: #FF0000">Before</span>
xoqrgz.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">After</span> cleaning in Mineral Spirits and polishing.
2ni8e4z.jpg

ive got a 1952 a5 light 12.....my dad gave it to me. not a scratch on the wood, bluing still perfect.

Eight thinly sprayed coats of Automotive Clear by Ricky DeLatin, 40 year professional Auto Painter.

2luau0z.jpg

I'm lovin this thread. Have few A-5s but only one that was Belgian. It's a safe queen. One of my others is in need of work though.

Looking good! I think you will be glad you did the restore.

Finally. Back from my painter. Eight coats of Automotive clear.

2a51083.jpg

ahem.... so let me get this straight. You (on purpose) had your stocks covered with Automotive paint as opposed to bare-hand applied Spar Varnish? Or Tung Oil?

It's yours, to do what you want with, I guess. Enjoy.

?????????

No, silly boy. You don't got it right.

First, Sean read Jason Baney's article on <span style="text-decoration: underline">6mmbr.com</span>.

Second, this is not Automotive paint. It is a transparent topcoat <span style="font-size: 14pt">finish</span> used <span style="font-size: 14pt">over</span> auto paint, yes, but used here to mimic the finish Browning used in the day.

Third: Yes. I used Tung oil. Under this clear coat finish. Three applications. Further, I used Tung Oil on another gun's wood on which that kind of appearance was appropriate and as requested.

Interesting work. Not a fan of the wood finish but to each his own.

These guys are a good resource for Bronwing refinish/rebuild. They also sell the traditional "French Red" wood stock finish that generally matches what is considered the Winchester Pre-64 wood finish. http://www.artsgunshop.com/

Thank you lw8. I've talked with Art by phone actually and viewed his instructional videos.

Whew. Finally. I'll get a photographer buddy to shoot nicer pics this week. Not too nice. I don't want you to see my flaws. Enjoy these for now boys. Thanks for the support.

I'm not sure if its good or bad when you care more more about someone's gun than they do and you're the one working on it. Another thing I learned here is these guns, to me, are better than those new fadish flim-flam Italian gas-operated wall paper painted shotguns every one is so nutty about these days. Those are boy's guns. A-5's are men's guns.

ipvd6x.jpg

302271h.jpg
28lxcnr.jpg

o9e0z6.jpg

j6u4p0.jpg

35klx6h.jpg

13yp4yb.jpg

The gun in the opening pic in this thread is the bottom gun in this pic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
read Jason Baney's article on <span style="text-decoration: underline">6mmbr.com</span>.</div></div>

Anyone have a link for that?

This post has been eating at me for months now so I just had to comment. These are three Browning A-5's now lost. Any historical significance or collectible status is gone. Patina and character Gone. These will probably never be passed along after their current owners either tire of them or pass away themselves. No self respecting collector or firearms dealer would offer $1 for these in the future. This is not a restoration and should not ever be confused with such. No original manufacturing techniques or finish is involved nor do they remotely appear as such. This is more closely referred to as Bubba'ing a gun. Sure they may be nice to someone but they are pretty much ruined in the process.

So if i had a Model t that was rusted all to hell, i shouldnt try to clean it up, protect the metal from further corrosion, and make it nicer for myself?

The brownings are not a limited item, there are lots out there, and the ones that are truly collectable normally stay as such.

with that said, there are many of these that are merely "working mans" guns, and are restored as such.

according to your theory, nothing should ever be refinished for the sake of its loosing its "collectors" value.

i find your logic flawed.

Its not the post that is eating at you. It's something unrelated. Who knows?
Your post says nothing of the guns, restoration or me. It only says you have a need to speak out about something you feel was not done the way you thought it should have been. But because I have time and am in the mood, I'll play:

Lost to what? A collective value?
The owners are so very little interested in a collector's items that you wouldn't believe it. Instead, they are deliberate and practical; interested in utility - whether the gun functions without fail. Pretty is in their vocabulary but it refers to women and babies. Neither guns or roses to them are pretty, collectable, or worship worthy. The only thing they come close to collecting is empty beer cans until they have many and then they take them to be recycled.

They will never tire of them but they will pass away at which time their sons will, who are also disinterested in collectables, hunt with the guns and maintain them as poorly as their fathers. Tiring of something that works is a luxury for the wealthy. These folks do not comprehend it. I have known them for 48 years.

Moreover, these guys would not sell these guns for any reasonable amount of money either to a collector or anyone else. The guns were their father's whom they did adore, respecting his purchases and his love for bird hunting all his life. Therefore, to them whether a collector would offer to buy these guns for $1.00 or $2,000 is moot.

Because the owners are interested only in functionality these guns are now preserved for another lifetime of hunting enjoyment. They do not adore guns. They adore the experience of fellowship while hunting. To them, guns are tools like boots and tires. They wear and have a life though they might be reparable for a time.

Incidentally, original manufacturing techiques and materials are unavailable today obviously. New ones are but not original ones.
Can you now buy a recent and newly manufactured orignal fender for a 1964 GTO?
Can you now buy a 2x4 stud grown like one harvested and cut in 1965?

The only part of your observation I might agree with is that they were not restored, techniquely. The guns were something, but whatever one chooses to term it the owners are happy. In fact, since the guns are under their sole dominion and control could not they lubricate them with sea turtle urine if they choose?

Oftentimes truth is stranger than fiction. For you this might be one of those times.

Ciao.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if i had a Model t that was rusted all to hell, i shouldnt try to clean it up, protect the metal from further corrosion, and make it nicer for myself?</div></div>
No, corrosion should be stopped, general rule of preservation. Stop the rust with something like naval jelly and oil it. That's it. Patina is not rust that needs to be stopped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The brownings are not a limited item, there are lots out there, and the ones that are truly collectable normally stay as such. </div></div>
Not limited? They don't build the A-5's anymore do they? A well preserved A-5 brings decent money still. And the last run tributes will currently fetch $8,000-$12,000 depending on condition and serial #. 28Ga is highly sought after and different stampings, production years, Country of origin and use are all different things that can make them more desirable. I've seen guys sell A-5's for $250 only to see the buyer turn and sell it for $1500 because the first guy had no idea. Many A-5's are in poor shape and that is OK with me because it means my pieces go up in value. But at the same token if you own a classic 69 Camaro SS it doesn't mean you have to like watching another get tossed in the trash compactor. But I understand some people have to have things the way they want it. Just keep an open mind when you strip all the paint off a classic car and just clear coat it some people are going to stare. And I understand street rodding and chopping cars which is not the same as collecting firearms. A large number of people believe firearms more than a tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">according to your theory, nothing should ever be refinished. </div></div>

Never stated a my theory. Refinishing is a touchy subject but the general rule is you use original techniques and materials and you only do it under certain conditions. This is the theory of Gun industry, not mine. This can be read about here. http://www.amazon.com/Collecting-Firearm...4556&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0883173476

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0883172755

These are not just books for purists. They are for enthusiasts also.

I myself have messed up firearms in my youth and even recently on accident by not removing cosmoline from a stock properly. This depreciated the rifle by over 50% but I attempted to regain some of the value by refinishing it with original materials and techniques. This brings the rifle value back up but it will never be at the value it was before I removed the cosmo and I must declare it a restoration if I ever sell it. Some purists would still crucify me but luckily it was an inexpensive rifle with nothing that makes it more desirable from others of it's kind.

There are still places that use the original techniques and materials for the A-5. http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/gunsmithing-services MGW is one of the few left who do so and they do it very well as they have seen their work. I had them restore one of mine I had that was in poor condition of less than 20%. They have people who worked for browning doing the checkering on the A-5's last I heard.

MR. Simpson's work does look good for the technique he used. I'll give him credit for his patience and skill. His customers however, should be educated not encouraged. Granted they probably would not listen and to that I could only shake my head in disappointment.

Does anyone know how to get the finish stripped off the forend, I have tried Handi-Strip and it did not touch it! but it stripped everything off the butt stock just fine.

Great Work Casey!

I use a gel stripper that contained in a bronze colored can - don't recall the name, but it works. Use care on the fore stock. They are fragile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fosgate</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if i had a Model t that was rusted all to hell, i shouldnt try to clean it up, protect the metal from further corrosion, and make it nicer for myself?</div></div>
No, corrosion should be stopped, general rule of preservation. Stop the rust with something like naval jelly and oil it. That's it. Patina is not rust that needs to be stopped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The brownings are not a limited item, there are lots out there, and the ones that are truly collectable normally stay as such. </div></div>
Not limited? They don't build the A-5's anymore do they? A well preserved A-5 brings decent money still. And the last run tributes will currently fetch $8,000-$12,000 depending on condition and serial #. 28Ga is highly sought after and different stampings, production years, Country of origin and use are all different things that can make them more desirable. I've seen guys sell A-5's for $250 only to see the buyer turn and sell it for $1500 because the first guy had no idea. Many A-5's are in poor shape and that is OK with me because it means my pieces go up in value. But at the same token if you own a classic 69 Camaro SS it doesn't mean you have to like watching another get tossed in the trash compactor. But I understand some people have to have things the way they want it. Just keep an open mind when you strip all the paint off a classic car and just clear coat it some people are going to stare. And I understand street rodding and chopping cars which is not the same as collecting firearms. A large number of people believe firearms more than a tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">according to your theory, nothing should ever be refinished. </div></div>

Never stated a my theory. Refinishing is a touchy subject but the general rule is you use original techniques and materials and you only do it under certain conditions. This is the theory of Gun industry, not mine. This can be read about here. http://www.amazon.com/Collecting-Firearm...4556&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0883173476

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0883172755

These are not just books for purists. They are for enthusiasts also.

I myself have messed up firearms in my youth and even recently on accident by not removing cosmoline from a stock properly. This depreciated the rifle by over 50% but I attempted to regain some of the value by refinishing it with original materials and techniques. This brings the rifle value back up but it will never be at the value it was before I removed the cosmo and I must declare it a restoration if I ever sell it. Some purists would still crucify me but luckily it was an inexpensive rifle with nothing that makes it more desirable from others of it's kind.

There are still places that use the original techniques and materials for the A-5. http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/gunsmithing-services MGW is one of the few left who do so and they do it very well as they have seen their work. I had them restore one of mine I had that was in poor condition of less than 20%. They have people who worked for browning doing the checkering on the A-5's last I heard.

MR. Simpson's work does look good for the technique he used. I'll give him credit for his patience and skill. His customers however, should be educated not encouraged. Granted they probably would not listen and to that I could only shake my head in disappointment.
</div></div>

These weren't safe queens to begin with, not sure why you feel the need to add your 2 cents about what someone else does with their own property either.

And it isn't really apples to apples, but Browning does in fact still make the A5, they recently reintroduced it.

Just because a gun is old doesn't make it something that should be put on the mantle and preserved like a painting. If someone can clean it up and do some things that add useful life to it, it may not matter to them what it could be worth. How much would you sell your grandpas A5 for?

I think a French Gray finish (AO blast, then nickle plate) on the receiver and barrel would look cool.

Got it looking good. My hands are dirty from working on an A5 today. It was an old Mag 12 that looked like it had never been disassembled. She was dirty and had a few old worn out springs.

Good stuff, redirt.

Replace all the accessible springs.

Check for the broken left extractor that is common.