• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Browning BAR 308. Shooter?

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
Just got a Belgium made BAR, in 308. Any one shot one of these? It' not a black rifle, but I like some wood guns, now and then. I "used to think", that Browning made good stuff. Any input, would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The BAR II is a fine and very accurate self-loader. Although it doesn't look it the barrel is free-floating and capable of very good accuracy.

The weak point of the system is the barrel extension, which could be harder. The action itself can be modified into a very fine sniper weapon. This is a BAR II in 300 Win Mag:

clip_image002smir.jpg

I haven't shot a .308, but the BARs I've shot have been very accurate. The only complaint I have noticed is they're more pressure sensitive than bolt guns, so if you're going to reload start low and work up very carefully.

THANKS, for the input. I'm setting up, for load work-up, But don't know when I'll "Hit the wall", with trying to get more accuracy out of her. Some guns go to 1 1/2 in. groups, at 100, and stop .Some do better. Kinda looking for advice as to what I can "expect". I'll look out for the "pressure issues". Thanks. I don't see a lot of these guns, here, so I'm thinking they're "out of the realm" of what guys normally shoot. I saw the rifle, and it's "nice wood". My Dad had 2 of these, but sold them, before I "was of age". Wanted to have one for the memories.

Based on the two I've loaded for, if I was getting 1.5" at 100 I'd keep working up loads. Both we're kind of picky, but when you fed them something they liked, they would shoot around .75" with hunting bullet (mostly Nosler partitions).

One other thing I noticed is they are sensitive the amount of torque on the sling stud in the forearm as this will put pressure on the barrel. I broke one down to clean it and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't shoot worth a damn after that. Added some extra torque and it went right back to where it had been.

I've got a BAR Safari II in 30-06 which is a MOA rifle with hunting loads. It had to have a trigger job before it would shoot. There's a gunsmith that does triggers on FNARs, which is the same trigger, I think, that will work on a BAR. You should be able to find him on Google. Good luck...

The BAR II is a fine and very accurate self-loader. Although it doesn't look it the barrel is free-floating and capable of very good accuracy.

The weak point of the system is the barrel extension, which could be harder. The action itself can be modified into a very fine sniper weapon. This is a BAR II in 300 Win Mag:

clip_image002smir.jpg

That is a very intriguing modification! I am most impressed! Could you give us the complete break down on the component/part? I would like to build one too. Thank you for sharing.