• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Browning Buck Mark 5.5 Target

ORD

Montani Semper Liberi
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2005
Morgantown, WV, USA
Hey guys,

I just got a call from a friend of mine. He is in the midst of a nasty divorce and is selling some pistols that he rarely shoots to fund his expenses in getting away from the evil hellhound.

Anyway, one of the pistols is a very nice Browning that appears LNIB, but one that I am not familiar with at all. It is the Buck Mark Target 5.5 model. Heavy 5.5" bull barrel, hooded micrometer sights, a deep/rich blued finish and Cocobolo grips with L-side thumbrest. Before I take the plunge on a pistol that I really don't need, but really like the looks of...I am trying to dig up some information. I searched around and didn't turn up too much on these pistols aside from one on Gunbroker and some others for sale.

Does anyone own one of these pistols or have any knowledge/experience with them that they can offer?

Re: Browning Buck Mark 5.5 Target

I bet if you looked around here you would find more information than you wanted. It's a good forum, the rimfire world's equivalent of Sniper's Hide as far as I'm concerned.

I would probably say that my 5.5 buckmark is one of my more favorites in my collection. I have countless rounds through mine and have taught quite a few people not only how to shoot.. but accuratly shoot a handgun with it. My dad bought mine for me about 21 years ago and just a few years ago I replaced the buffer, recoil spring, extractor and extractor spring... but that is after lots and lots of rounds... and 18 or so years on it.

Depending on the price... I wouldnt hesitate.

Hope that helps.

I have one from the late 80's it is the same as the regular buck mark except what you pointed out.
You can adjust the width of the front sight by rotating it.
mine is verry accurate,good trigger.
I think some had an adjustable trigger stop.
mine has a mat finish on the barrel.
I do not Know of any holsters that will fit it with the hood on the front sight.
I like mine very much.. Hope this helps

Thanks to everyone so far for the information (and the link to rimfirecentral...found some more info over there).

Also, I should have pointed out the price he is asking...he said $450 (which seemed a little low to me since the closest available model now...the 5.5 Field...is $575+ and this one looks new and has the sight hoods). The ones I have found online for sale are at least $550 with some fetching $600+.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would probably say that my 5.5 buckmark is one of my more favorites in my collection. I have countless rounds through mine and have taught quite a few people not only how to shoot.. but accuratly shoot a handgun with it. My dad bought mine for me about 21 years ago and just a few years ago I replaced the buffer, recoil spring, extractor and extractor spring... but that is after lots and lots of rounds... and 18 or so years on it.

Depending on the price... I wouldnt hesitate.

Hope that helps. </div></div>

Haha my story with my buckmark is damn near identical!! Excepts maybe 2 or 3 years less on the time frames! Still pretty funny though!

Mine is the not the target model but a 5.5" slabside from the '80's. But it is absolutely ridiculously accurate. I never, repeat NEVER, go to shoot without it tagging along. Hard to say how many thousands of rounds mine has had through it and also a few years back I too had to replace said parts. Great thing was I think all my parts were less then $20 total! (our dad's had the right idea!
wink.gif
)

For $450 that's a sure bet! Buy it! I damn sure would!

My second favorite .22 pistol, right behind the Ruger MKII. There are pros and cons to both; I just happen to prefer the Ruger, but they're both excellent, proven, designs, and the Browning has a much better out of the box trigger.

It is MINE!!! I'll swing by the bank this a.m. and pick it up sometime later today when I get time.

Again...I appreciate all the help, gentlemen. I think I just needed a push to make up my mind. With several other .22LR pistols (incl. a customized IZH-35M, MkII and an S&W 2206T) I just wasn't sure I could justify another one...but for the price and quality of the Browning, maybe I'll ditch the Smith if the Browning shoots half as good as it looks!!!
wink.gif

Make sure you post up some pics!!! Ill try and snag some pics of mine a little later. Like BigDKC said... the parts were cheap as h@ll... I think I bought two or three of the same parts I replaced incase I have to replace anything again.

Good snag!

I'll try to get some pics soon when my camera returns home. It is away with the wife for a few days.

As for parts...I always like to keep an extra set of springs and "wear & tear" parts on hand. I will field strip the pistol after I get it, inspect everything and function check it before I hit the range. I'll also need to pick up some mags for it as it only comes with one and I can't own a firearm with only ONE MAG!!!

I have one with the URX grips which I find to be extemely accurate. At 25 yds I can put the whole clip inside a 3" shoot NC target. It also cycles every thing I use. I'll have a jam once in a while around every 500 rds. and once I clean it its good to go all over again. They are easy to clean and break apart. Especially if you get the buck mark tool and use the video in you tube. Check the links out.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306229&highlight=buckmark+tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U-PYQ-M4PQ

I would buy it if I were you.

I had this happen last year, a friend wanted to sell his 870 duck gun, so I bought it and this year I sold it back to him after the dust settled and his thoughts cleared,same price but I had polished and did some smoothing out etc.

If for only that reason I considered it a good investment.

It is hard to say how someones life will turn out when it gets complicated by divorce etc. he may have never wanted it back but it is there if he wanted it if not I had a backup gun to hunt with.

Just a thought..

John

Well...quick update.

After talking to my buddy for a while on Saturday evening when I went to pick up the pistol...I managed to talk him out of selling any of his guns. While I would love to have taken the Buck Mark Target off his hands, I could tell it was killing him to even think about selling off parts of his "collection" which he has put together over the last 15 years. I think I helped him work through some other options for raising funds to pay for his divorce and he seems happier about not parting with some nice firearms. I wouldn't be much of a friend if I'd handled things any other way!

I'm out a nice pistol, but my friend gets to hang on to it which is where it belongs. To anyone who has been through a bitter divorce, say a prayer for my buddy J.B. that gives him some patience, strength and wisdom to get through the next several months.

I want to thank everyone again for the advice and info on this pistol. If anything changes and I would happen to "unconvince" him, I'll be sure to get some pics and a range report up.

Nice play by a good friend!! And if he gets in a pinch you could always pitch it to him like LngRngShtr mentioned, make it a "loan with buy back intentions" when the dust settles!

If he want's it back you got to try before you bought, maybe decided if it's exactly what you want. Never know, you might end up preferring something else, or picking a different model of buckmark when it's time to return it home and go buy one for yourself!!

Either way, you showed you are a true friend and that's always worth more then a $500 pistol!

My close friends (the couple I would ever consider selling my prized guns too) and I are all pretty much in agreement that if anything like this situation where to happen to one of us, the buy back loan is the golden rule!
wink.gif