• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Browning X-Bolt Opinions

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Saw a thread just a few posts below mentioning Browning X-Bolt, they have a couple of heavy barrel Varmint and Target models, anyone have one ? Are they any good ?

Reactions: Southern Custom
When it comes to the hit and miss nature of factory rifles there's a reason you'll see guys recommending the same few companies like Tikka and Bergara over and over. They are consistently good shooters and a poor shooting gun is the exception. Others are mostly good, with the occasional exceptional gun and the occasional poor shooter. Or, a bit more of a crap shoot. If you are going the production gun route, it pays to go with the gun with a proven track record. Not that there's anything wrong with the Browning. It's simply that if I had to bet on whether I was going to get a sub moa gun in the mail, my money would go toward something like Tikka or Bergara. There are others. Those are simply the guns I've had experience with.

i know of a 243 varmint model x bolt that isnt overly picky about bullet weights, or powder, and will shoot 1” groups at 300 yards...somedays the shooter can do even better. i used to have a 300 wsm xbolt hunter that was no slouch, either. i wouldnt pay 3100 for one, no way in hell. 1/3 of that perhaps.

Reactions: Bravo6
I just started shooting a Bergara HMR Pro in 6 Creed that was printing .25 -.5” groups it's first day at the range with the first 40 rounds during break in. With the largest group around .75”.
When I can buy that kind of accuracy for $1400 why mess with something else. And my gun is not a cherry picked one off gun.
For that matter the Bergara B14 HMR uses the same barrel as mine and runs $400 less.
Food for thought.

Browning makes a good rifle, however you are very limited when it comes to after market upgrades.. Pros are good resale value and good warranty service if needed.

The X-Bolt Target McMillan has a MSRP of $3,139.99, street price about $2700, im wondering what is so special about this rifle, is it a trued action and match grade barrel ? The McMillan stock is about $800, what am i getting for the other $1900 ?

https://www.browning.com/products/f...t-production/x-bolt-target-mcmillan-a3-5.html

Just talked with Browning Customer Service, they told me the barreled actions are exactly the same on both of the above models, pricing doesnt make sense.

Took my Bergara HMR Pro 6.5 CM out this week and shot Hornady 140 ELD Match factory ammo. 4 shots in the same hole, pulled the last shot. Group measured 0.375.
Love this gun.

I’ve never seen a Browning made in the last 30 years that wouldn’t shoot. That said, I’ve long considered the A-Bolt II the pinnacle of their evolution, and not a lot of varminters were built in that configuration.
Considering what I put together recently for about $2,300, factory anything for $3k is gonna have to be way more special than an X-Bolt. And I say that being somewhat of a Browning fan.

I looked at one when picking out a basic deer rifle. It ended up being my #2 choice to a tikka T3x. I thought the Tikka action was maybe a touch smoother. I don't recall he difference between the triggers or general price point. The biggest deciding factor for me was the T3x forest option. Its a raised cheek wooden stock from the factory. I feel in love with the way it fit me.

Reactions: Bravo6
$3000+ will build you quite a nice race rig that would likely come with a guarantee...
Brien

i paid a touch over 9 bills for the 243 varmint that shoots lights out. i wouldnt pay more than that. ESPECIALLY when you see what you can get a. tikka for.

add the aftermarket options of the tikka, and the experience i had with an older couple at the range that had twin 7mm08s. they were having issues with them, turns out the chamber was out of headspace. they took them back, i saw them the next day and the two they got in the exchange had the wrong headspace as well.

i’ve never had a problem with any of the x bolts i’ve owned or shot. not one. but i’ll be damned if i’d pay over 9 bills for one. 2700 you can piece together a helluva rifle with a tikka base.

Just wait till this guy gets promoted to Production Manager at Bergara.....

IMG_20181220_113610563.jpg
IMG_20181220_113627027.jpg

Im also very curious if anyone has shot the Xbolt max long range in 300prc out to a mile? Seems like would get the job done pretty easy. Im close to buying one. Seems like they are relatively inexpensive for what you get and has alot of nice features. Id like to build a rifle to shoot out to a mile, but that would take me a few months and alot of $$$, or I can order a Xbolt for half the price and go try next week hehehe. Best I have seen on youtube is a guy with a xbolt in 28nosler shooting 1200yards pretty well.

• Angry
Reactions: Iron Worker
My BIL always shows up with his Ruger American 6.5 while his x-bolt 6.5 sits in the safe....

His x-bolt wouldn't do moa without handloads, 3 moa was normal. The Ruger refuses to do more than 1.5 moa, at half the cost.

My Bergara was shooting .75 with American Gunner. I've got about 500 147 eld-m's through it now, all handloads, nothing over an inch. Quite a few under .5" during load development.

Im also very curious if anyone has shot the Xbolt max long range in 300prc out to a mile? Seems like would get the job done pretty easy. Im close to buying one. Seems like they are relatively inexpensive for what you get and has alot of nice features. Id like to build a rifle to shoot out to a mile, but that would take me a few months and alot of $$$, or I can order a Xbolt for half the price and go try next week hehehe. Best I have seen on youtube is a guy with a xbolt in 28nosler shooting 1200yards pretty well.
I bought a Browning X bolt Max long range in 6.5 PRC. Action was slick ,trigger was dog meat,stock was hollow garbage , bedding fell out with tap of screw driver. I've never owned a rifle that shot so poorly,3"-5" groups at 100yds . I traded it in after a new bedding job which turned it into a fair deer rifle. For a Bergara Premier Ridge back in 6,.5 PRC and first time at the range it surpassed Bergara MOA guarantee at 100yds with both factory and my hand loaded ammo. Only draw back on Bergara's is that they're heavy . I've also heard stellar reports on Tikka T3x

I bought a Browning X bolt Max long range in 6.5 PRC. Action was slick ,trigger was dog meat,stock was hollow garbage , bedding fell out with tap of screw driver. I've never owned a rifle that shot so poorly,3"-5" groups at 100yds . I traded it in after a new bedding job which turned it into a fair deer rifle. For a Bergara Premier Ridge back in 6,.5 PRC and first time at the range it surpassed Bergara MOA guarantee at 100yds with both factory and my hand loaded ammo. Only draw back on Bergara's is that they're heavy . I've also heard stellar reports on Tikka T3x

Does Tikka make a 300prc?
Id go with bergara if it wasn't so heavy. I'm looking to do some super long range plinking and then some hunting at distance. So I'd like a little lighter rifle
60°bolt throw, saftey on the rear Tang, side bolt release, and flush detachable mag are some features I really like.
I'll admit here that I'm a Savage Fan,lol I really like the floating bolt head, like a begara. I just don't want the begara weight or the price tag for the carbon version.
I went and shot a Xbolt Hells canyon in 28nosler yesterday that is holding sub moa at 600yards with factory nosler ammo.
The bedding job wasn't very good on this rifle either and it had a 4lb trigger.
I'll be handloading and probably fix the bedding and get the trigger below 2lbs.
The browing max long range is suppose to have a better stock, nice solid composite stock from what I'm reading, but haven't seen one up close.

Hey @jeepguy88 I'll give you some more feedback early into October. Not sure what you finally decided, but I was in the process of spec'ing out a build and had scope in hand (Leupold Mk5, 5-25) and I had to accelerate my timeline considerably.

I have a X-bolt (HellsCanyon) Max Long Range 300 Win Mag arriving this weekend. I do not have a ton of free time lately, but hope to get it broken in, sighted, and scoped ahead of my travels first weekend in October. I'm kinda new here, so I'll find the right spot to post some shot groups and shit as possible.

I was like you, I think. This rifle had many things out of the box that I just thought was useful; as I haven't shot long (much beyond 300m) in quite a while, I have decided to roll the dice due to sudden circumstances. There just wasn't a ton of info out there on these rifles, but as I got my meathooks on one of these earlier this year, I have used it as a "baseline" for what I was trying to build.

Worst case I eat a loss and sell and do this all again when I have a bit more time. The scope I am confident in - LOL.

Cheers,

Sapper

Hey @jeepguy88 I'll give you some more feedback early into October. Not sure what you finally decided, but I was in the process of spec'ing out a build and had scope in hand (Leupold Mk5, 5-25) and I had to accelerate my timeline considerably.

I have a X-bolt (HellsCanyon) Max Long Range 300 Win Mag arriving this weekend. I do not have a ton of free time lately, but hope to get it broken in, sighted, and scoped ahead of my travels first weekend in October. I'm kinda new here, so I'll find the right spot to post some shot groups and shit as possible.

I was like you, I think. This rifle had many things out of the box that I just thought was useful; as I haven't shot long (much beyond 300m) in quite a while, I have decided to roll the dice due to sudden circumstances. There just wasn't a ton of info out there on these rifles, but as I got my meathooks on one of these earlier this year, I have used it as a "baseline" for what I was trying to build.

Worst case I eat a loss and sell and do this all again when I have a bit more time. The scope I am confident in - LOL.

Cheers,

Sapper

Hi, I ended up buying the Xbolt HellsCanyon Max Long Rang in 300 PRC.
Sorry forgot to mention that in this thread. Its a pretty sweet gun for the price range that its in. The trigger was over 4lbs, when I got it, I put a MCarbro trigger spring in, I think its like $12-$14 its not much. Got it just below 2lbs. Pretty nice trigger now. Didnt have to anything else to the gun. The stock muzzle brake is pretty much just for looks, I put a Harrells Precision radial brake on, mounted my scope and went shooting. Took it out to ONE MILE the first or second week I had it hehe. Mine is shooting under 1/2 moa. Probably could get a lil better but Im not really used to magnums. Im getting there, Ive got 220ish rounds through mine already. I have a elk hunt coming up in November that hopefully will get a chance to see what it can do. Im shooing the 225ELDMS.
I was in the same boat, couldnt find alot of info on them, and took a gamble, if I didnt like it, kick it to the curb. lol. Ill be keeping mine around for along while.
Your going to love your new rifle.
Anyway here is me shooting 1mile.

Pretty hard to argue with those results haha

Reactions: Not a Sniper
Does Tikka make a 300prc?
Id go with bergara if it wasn't so heavy. I'm looking to do some super long range plinking and then some hunting at distance. So I'd like a little lighter rifle
60°bolt throw, saftey on the rear Tang, side bolt release, and flush detachable mag are some features I really like.
I'll admit here that I'm a Savage Fan,lol I really like the floating bolt head, like a begara. I just don't want the begara weight or the price tag for the carbon version.
I went and shot a Xbolt Hells canyon in 28nosler yesterday that is holding sub moa at 600yards with factory nosler ammo.
The bedding job wasn't very good on this rifle either and it had a 4lb trigger.
I'll be handloading and probably fix the bedding and get the trigger below 2lbs.
The browing max long range is suppose to have a better stock, nice solid composite stock from what I'm reading, but haven't seen one up close.
Oh they're stocks on Max long range are hollow . Ask me how I know ?

Oh they're stocks on Max long range are hollow . Ask me how I know ?

@Iron Worker I'll bite. How do you know? If you got dirt on these, I'd like to know. Mine just landed (xbolt, max LR (.300WM) and I got it cleaned up and scope mounted, dialed in to bore sight currently. Looking to take it out for shooting end of the month to dial it in proper.

Keep in mind, I'm comfortable with shooting fundamentals (retired Army), but only mildly exposed to these longer shooters, it was an odd occasion for me to get a Scout/Sniper weapon to fuck with on a range. I'm a much closer shooter to date (generally 300m and in), and am only now looking to hunt/shoot longer. I do not know what these serious long range folks know about rifles and setup. So I am askin'.

Thanks,
Sapper

Reactions: Iron Worker
@Iron Worker I'll bite. How do you know? If you got dirt on these, I'd like to know. Mine just landed (xbolt, max LR (.300WM) and I got it cleaned up and scope mounted, dialed in to bore sight currently. Looking to take it out for shooting end of the month to dial it in proper.

Keep in mind, I'm comfortable with shooting fundamentals (retired Army), but only mildly exposed to these longer shooters, it was an odd occasion for me to get a Scout/Sniper weapon to fuck with on a range. I'm a much closer shooter to date (generally 300m and in), and am only now looking to hunt/shoot longer. I do not know what these serious long range folks know about rifles and setup. So I am askin'.

Thanks,
Sapper
Remove the stock ,from the magazine forward its hollow . Bedding wasn't right ,had my gunsmith replace the bedding, he said a couple taps of the bedding with screw driver and it fell out. Mine was in 6.5 PRC 3"-5" MOA at 100yds . After new bedding job, cut those groups sizes in half . So it was deer rifle accurate ,and I traded it in for a Bergara Premier, which surpassed the MOA guarantee with both factory and handloads first trip to the range. Oh plus the trigger is awful . A guy on LRH had same rifle I believe in 28 Nosler? He invented new cuss words with his, had it re- Barreled with same contour Bartlien and problem was solved ..... However I've read reports from others saying they're satisfied ... So good luck, hope yours is great .

Remove the stock ,from the magazine forward its hollow . Bedding wasn't right ,had my gunsmith replace the bedding, he said a couple taps of the bedding with screw driver and it fell out. Mine was in 6.5 PRC 3"-5" MOA at 100yds . After new bedding job, cut those groups sizes in half . So it was deer rifle accurate ,and I traded it in for a Bergara Premier, which surpassed the MOA guarantee with both factory and handloads first trip to the range. Oh plus the trigger is awful . A guy on LRH had same rifle I believe in 28 Nosler? He invented new cuss words with his, had it re- Barreled with same contour Bartlien and problem was solved ..... However I've read reports from others saying they're satisfied ... So good luck, hope yours is great .

Thanks for the info-I'll check it all out.

Sorry forgot to mention that in this thread. Its a pretty sweet gun for the price range that its in. The trigger was over 4lbs, when I got it, I put a MCarbro trigger spring in, I think its like $12-$14 its not much. Got it just below 2lbs. Pretty nice trigger now. Didnt have to anything else to the gun. The stock muzzle brake is pretty much just for looks, I put a Harrells Precision radial brake on, mounted my scope and went shooting. Took it out to ONE MILE the first or second week I had it hehe. Mine is shooting under 1/2 moa. Probably could get a lil better but Im not really used to magnums. Im getting there, Ive got 220ish rounds through mine already. I have a elk hunt coming up in November that hopefully will get a chance to see what it can do. Im shooing the 225ELDMS.
I was in the same boat, couldnt find alot of info on them, and took a gamble, if I didnt like it, kick it to the curb. lol. Ill be keeping mine around for along while.

Just read this post. My brother has one and wants to put a new brake on. I'm wondering how you got the factory brake off. Thanks.

My LR stalker is one of the nicer production rifles I’ve bought. You can find the mcmillan stocks on the used market occasionally for great deals. Plus, the mags are decently long for reloaders.

I never shot my bergara, wasn’t super impressed with the action fit and finish.

I'm wondering how you got the factory brake off. Thanks.
Mine was just finger tight. No problems removing it, if yours is really tight, I'd put the barrel in the vice and put a punch in the holes of the brake maybe