• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Browning X bolt

I have the HC speed in 7RM for a PA whitetail rifle. I am biased as I am Browning whore but I love the xbolt design for hunting purposes. I have a few abolts that are lasers but I have had a frew that weren't too. The xbolt magazine design is much improved over the a-bolt. The Browning balance has always been a perfect fit for me. I don't know about any of the target offerings from Browning.

I run a couple of Western Hunters and absolutely love them. Neither shot super well with factory ammo, but I handload so I didnt really care. I love the short bolt throw and how lightweight they are. I would say 100% gtg.

Long time Browning guy and like the X bolt HC. No doubt a good choice for a hunting rifle but wondering if suitable for getting in to the sport of long range shooting. New to the sport and would like to find something that would be acceptable at both

The barrels heat up very quick. I say you get 2 MAYBE 3-4 shots before the barrel heats up pretty hot and you have to let it cool for 15-20 minutes. You'll want a rifle with a thicker barrel for precision long range game. I took an elk with my 300wm this past year at 720 and so I know first hand it is a great long range hunting rifle. But I would reach for other rifles to go out to long range shoot for fun before the X bolt.

Yes, the HC could do both. You'll be better off getting two separate rifles for hunting/long range shooting though. However, do whatever the budget will allow. It couldn't hurt to get the HC and use it for hunting and long range and then get a rifle down the line when you can afford/want to get something that is dedicated for the sport. Howa makes a decent rifle that can be upgraded easily. 700s are great and I have had pretty good success with Savage as well.

I too have been curious about these rifles. Seem to have a lot of nice features for around a 1k price point rifle. I'm curious about the differences between the "speed" and "long range" models.

Browning's website lists the Hells Canyon speed as a sporter contour as opposed to the Heavy Sporter found on the "long range" model, which is nearly a full pound heavier.

Does anyone have a muzzle diameter for the Hells Canyon Long Range?

Does anyone know if a 10 round magazine in 6.5 Creedmoor for the X-Bolt? Can any be modified?