• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brushes and Bores!!!

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
So does anybody have any proof or speculations that copper brushes used the proper way harm the bore at all. Whats everybodys thoughts on this. I have been using a bore brush for a while now and have had no problems but i have read where some people dont like them.

Re: Brushes and Bores!!!

i personally dont use a brush... i use jb bore compound on a patch. then rush bore tech copper remover and then run a patch of oil.

Probably matters more if you use a bore guide than the type of brush. But I use a nylon brush just in case.

For me, I use nylon because it elimates the "false positive" indication of copper in the barrel when cleaning. I decided to see if bronze brushes would really turn a patch blue so I soaked one with bore tech CU2 and let it sit on a rag. The rag had a 4X4 inch area that turned completely blue under the brush within 2 minutes.

How effective are the nylon brushes? I have been using a bore snake for awhile and it gets me by until I need a thorough cleaning.

I've been using foaming Bore cleaner. The way I see it it does all the work, less mess and the smell of bore cleaner/copper remover is no longer a factor. I do however turn the barrel so the pressure port is upwards (meaning I turn my M1A/M1 Garand upside down). I use about 4 patches by the time I'm clean. Sometimes you might have to use it twice. I don't have a lot of time to mess around and it really does the work for you. Gunslick and Wipe Out have worked well.

Brushes harming anything? Uneducated guess Here, Only if you drag it back through the bore over the crown. I used them for a long time. Now I don't need them.

There is no reason to use a copper or other metal brush. Apply a decent solvent with a plastic brush and let it soak.
But I don't buy the idea of (proper) metal brushes hurting the bore, either.

The centers are made of steel, the portion you hold on to while screwing it in to your rod, can scrape against the crown when you push it thru. It will wear a Melonite finish off, so i'm assuming it will wear the steel too. This happens on my pistol, and probably on my rifle as well, cant really tell since I have a flash hindered attached. There is a company out there making brushes with brass centers.

I clean from the chamber and use a chamber guide. Even though the brushes I use have a brass base (the part that threads into the rod) I don't let it drag back over the crown on the back stroke.
If you clean from the muzzle end, use a guide or the rod itself will wear on the crown.

My brushes still hit the crown, on the forward stroke, when cleaning from the chamber end with a bore guide. I'm using Tipton carbon fiber rods, I dont know if the coated spring steel rods are any better at preventing this. Getting new brushes was a quick enough fix.