• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BSA CONTENDER

gars320

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2004
Lawrence County, MO
I have a BSA CONTENDER fixed 36X40 that I cannot find any trace of on the BSA website, it has a 10yd to 150yd ending in an infinity setting on the front ring. It only has an elevation & windage adjustments on the tube itself. It is made in China so I'm sure it's not worth much, I got it from ebarf before I found this site and I didn't know hardly anything about optics, I just got this one to set ontop of my Ruger 10-22. It came with a 4" sunshade & screw on cap. I still don't know much about BSA but I would like to find out about this one, it's in good condition but does have a ring mark on the front, has a Duplex reticle, non-illuminated & no serial number.
Thanks for any help

Re: BSA CONTENDER

BSA AKA Been Screwed Again, makes a 36X scope in their Platinum series, but I have never seen a 36X in their Contender series. The Platinum are their "Top of the line" scopes, and the 36X sells through Midway for around $65.00. Yep! A whole sixty five dollars. It has a fine crosshair with a dot. I bought one out of curiosity and mounted it on top of my Shilen DGA in 6PPC to try it out. Never could find the balls to bring it to the range with that scope on it. I don't know how well it would hold zero, but it did track perfectly. I also couldn't get all of the parallax adjusted out of it. It lives in my garage inside its original box now. One day I may take it out with a few other scopes just to see how it works, but it isn't high on my priority list.

Hopefully you didn't pay more than about $40.00 for it.

It MIGHT be OK on a 22, but you will have a hell of a time doing anything other than bench shooting with it. You will also be lucky to see a damn thing through it.

The front ring adjustment is the parallax ring.

The screw on caps are the best thing about BSA scopes. I wish more optics companies would supply screw on caps.

Go to the sticky posts at the top of this category and read, read, and read some more. Then read everything else you can on this forum. When you have questions, write 'em down and see if you can find the answers in the posts. Trust me, most every question has already been answered multiple times.

Buy the best quality that is within your budget. More magnification is not always better. Quality glass, good tracking and resolution are waaaaay more important than high magnification.

Mike

I bought a BSA and it works perfectly! Best money I ever spent actually! Besides, it makes a conversational door stop.

th_AndHereWeGoJoker.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
th_AndHereWeGoJoker.gif
</div></div>

Why? There's no point. It's about BSAs, not Counter Snipers.

Thanks for the replies, It is actually marked Contender on the opposite side of the windage knob & on the objective ring. I didn't find the premier series on the web site but I will check, thanks for letting me know.
You are of course right, quality is better than more magnification, to bad I didn't know it then as that was it's chief attraction. Luckily I only paid $30 on the auction which was its other attraction.