• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BSA ffp/mil-mil scope

FNARSHOOTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Ga
Anybody had a chance to handle one of these ?Ectched glass, 4x14,mildot, tactical knobs ect.They are made for Midway at about $300 they sound way to good to be true. But may be good for a AR15 budget project.
Scot

Re: BSA ffp/mil-mil scope

It's a BSA... For $300 I'd look at a Bushnell 3200 or something similar. Possibly used Vortex or even Weaver. I've used a couple Weaver scopes that were on AR15 platforms that worked pretty well for their price range. They might not have all the cool adjustments, but like you said, it sounds too good to be true. Not saying that is, but it sure sounds like it. I don't feel like I would trust a BSA scope over the others mentioned.

I wish sombody else would try one first. Somebody gave me a BSA once and it was not bad but far from good.
Scot

Didn't Natchez put all the Bushnell scopes on sale? And I don't just mean "on sale" like $20 off, but horrendously discounted. My fixed 10 power mildot scope I bought at retail ($199) is now like $149.50.

i have two BSA. one on a pellet rifle, one on a 22. the old one from my pellet had a bit of fungus in the eyepiece. its like 5-10 years old. i sent it back in and got a new current model. overall i have been happy with them for what they do and what they cost.

Yes, Natchez has all of the 3200's on sale. Bushnell is discontinuing all of the 3200 and 4300 series scopes. They are working on something new (basically redesignations).

I work for Natchez's parent company. I've heard that they are going to a single "Elite" series instead of the 3 different classes. Cannot confirm that yet as we haven't seen the new part numbers yet. I'll post some info when I do.

Charlie

It's a BSA. But it's funny it has quite a bit more elevation than a $650 Bushnell!!!!

There's no way in hell that I'd throw $300 at a BSA optic. I've never looked through the one specified by the OP, but the ones I looked at were garbage. If this is for an AR, I'd use open sights until I could afford a decent optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's a BSA. But it's funny it has quite a bit more elevation than a $650 Bushnell!!!! </div></div>

I surely doubt he will be shooting an AR-15 past the elevation reaches of a Bushnell or anything with over 40 MOA of adjustment for that matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's a BSA. But it's funny it has quite a bit more elevation than a $650 Bushnell!!!! </div></div>

I surely doubt he will be shooting an AR-15 past the elevation reaches of a Bushnell or anything with over 40 MOA of adjustment for that matter. </div></div>

I shot my .223 AR @ 1000yards in FTR for about a year. Barrel sag coupled with the luck of the draw of how the rings sit/fit on the flat top- I doubt I'd have got out to 1000 with the Bushy.

YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I surely doubt he will be shooting an AR-15 past the elevation reaches of a Bushnell or anything with over 40 MOA of adjustment for that matter. </div></div>

I shot my .223 AR @ 1000yards in FTR for about a year. Barrel sag coupled with the luck of the draw of how the rings sit/fit on the flat top- I doubt I'd have got out to 1000 with the Bushy.

YMMV </div></div>

In that case the only way to get that far out would be a one piece canted mount. The only reason I don't know he would be pushing the gun that far is because I feel like he might have mentioned that when asking. But hey, I could be wrong. I have the Bushnell and if there was anything I wish I could change would be the amount of elevation adjustment. However, if I had to choose a BSA for the elevation or a Bushnell for beating it on everything else, I would choose the Bushnell just for piece of mind. Throw a canted base under it and go. Were also comparing scopes that are in 2 different price ranges. I'm not sure how much elevation the 3200 has.

I agree Snipe, I'd feel safer with the Bushnell at the end of the day.

OP SCOT:

Sorry to hijack your post.

Back to normal programming everyone......

I just bought one from Midway... TMD414x44-30... wanted it for the FFP and the Mil-Mil features. Could not afford any of the next range FFP's. Still cold from the UPS truck but looking thru it on this very bright snow-scape day says the optics are OK. The reticle is pretty tiny at the 4 end. Very clear all the way to 14. Overall fit and feel is fine, but I am not an expert. Feels heavy. Made in China. I'll report more later after I mount it and try it out.

Update 1:
looked around on the net... I don't see this as a clone or rebrand of anything I could find, including the Vortex line. I mounted it on a .22 Rem Model Five... (it was what I had available for a test mounting)...
scope is HUGE on it and more $$'s in the scope and mount then the gun! Plan on shooting over the weekend/holidays. Note: the deal at Midway is thru Dec 31... so I may not have a range report before the $299 deal goes away. I think will be a really good scope for the money as a trainer.

I called BSA to find out more about this scope and they said that it is not like any other scope that they produce, in terms of quality. The saddle and reticle look just like a Falcon. I wonder if they are coming out of the same factory?

richmich, would like to hear how this thing works out for you .I can not afford to put $1000 plus scopes on every weapon and feel this might fill a spot if its not junk. I have had Inexpencive gear out preform the high dollar stuff in the past. The "you get what you pay for" thing is dead today its more "you pay for the name"My super snipers out perform alot of high dollar big name stuff maybe this new BSA will be a pleasant suprise.
SCOT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperSGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called BSA to find out more about this scope and they said that it is not like any other scope that they produce, in terms of quality. </div></div>

Well I wonder what that means?

No BSA for me!

Rich, others:

Keep us posted. I'm thinking it might be a scope to put on my .22 trainer that I don't know I'm getting for Christmas.

Looks suspiciously like a rebranded "Famous Maker" scope, which looked suspiciously like a Falcon clone (if there can be such a thing).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have had Inexpencive gear out preform the high dollar stuff in the past. The "you get what you pay for" thing is dead today its more "you pay for the name"
SCOT </div></div>

I have less expensive scopes as well but I also think the higher end scopes are worth the money if your going to actually need them for their intended use. They are built to be tough and perform perfect in every condition. Most scopes these days will hold zero and have decent adjustments. It's when you start really putting it use aside from the range when you notice the big difference. For a range gun and a guy that just wants to enjoy his days at the range, most $500-$1000 scopes are more than adequate.

Looks like Midway has put the Weaver on sale and bumped the BSA down in price and extended the sale to keep it competitive:

Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot [Second Focal Plane] Reticle Matte
Regularly $399.99, Now $299.99, Save $100.00, Sale expires 12/31/2010

BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal MRAD Reticle Matte
Regularly $399.99, Now $249.99, Save $150.00, Sale expires 1/31/2011

I have 2 bsa's one is a sweet 17 and the other a sweet 22 both scopes have problems tracking and holding zero i will be replacing both of these scopes soon when i get the money

My first scope was a BSA contender 4x16. It was on my first .308. It worked fine, tracked and returned to zero great. When I got my Leupy Mark IV, the BSA was like looking thru a dirty milk jug. Now, I only paid $99 for the BSA. I gave it to a friend at work for his kids rifle. The scope is still working fine as I just talked to him a couple days ago about it. Dont know if I would drop $300 on one tho.

richmich, Any more comments on this scope. Seems like it might be good for a 22 trainer?

Thanks

HQ to Richmich, more updates please, over...

i used BSA's on stuff before. they will fail. one way or another they will. usually after 3 years they will suddenly get gray through the glass. then the tracking will fail. then it will not keep a zero.

i've bought several of them, different models, and replaced every one with the replacement the factory sent me. when they started to fail, i gave the 2nd replacement scopes away for christmas gift, birthday gifts, etc.

yea they have the fancy gizmos that are all the rage with mucho options, bells and whistles for a low price. and they do work fine up to a point - but then FUBAR.

had them on muzzleloaders, 25-06, ar15 and a .22 bolt. all failed and usually in the same fashion, in the same timeframe.

for the price the topic optic is, there are many more reliable scopes out there with similiar options and trinkets, and IMHO a better choice than BSA. even the walmart centerpoint for 70.00
seems to be a better scope.

do what you want, but if you plan on doing any decent amount of serious shooting in the next 3-4 years, i'd shop around more now than be disappointed later.

I've managed to break two BSAs on a .22LR in about 4 range sessions dialing in elevation few years ago. The cost of the scopes were no where near as much as the value of the lesson in using cheap optics, even on rimfires.

Still though!
With advanced mil reticle,mil turrets,l ffp, side focus and ! 26 mils ! of elevation all for $250 I'd be crazy not to try it on my .22 trainer. That's enough elevation to get a .22 to 400 yards+++ with a 20m moa base.

And since my .22 is not my go-to work horse rifle I can afford for it to be down a few weeks each year for warranty scope exchange!

I disagree with the you dont get what you pay for any more comment.
there are three things that if you buy cheap vs expensive
you will notice the quality immediately
1. holsters uncle mikes vs galco
2. rifle hard cases kmart brand vs pelican
3. optics bsa vs N.F.
you may not notice the quality until you run top tier gear
and after you do you will spend the extra cash.

Example of low price high quality Super sniper scopes.Example of high price low quality Leupold scopes.It Do happen.Would love to see LOWLIGHT take this $250 ffp for a ride I say it is a 50/50 chance it might be ok NF no on par with some scopes costing lots more probally.
Scot

The BSA Distribution Warehouse is about 15 miles from my house. The scope test and repair man shoots with me at the range.
He keeps after them to get the quality up. I think management is more into flashy crap to catch the attention, than fixing poor quality issues.
My buddy did say this one looks like it has some potential as being a good scope. We will just have to wait and see.

I do have 2 BSA scopes that are fair quality so far, a 36X and a 24X fixed power target scope. Both have seemed to do ok on my sons rimfire bench rest rifles so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... when they started to fail, i gave the 2nd replacement scopes away for christmas gift, birthday gifts, etc. </div></div>

Some friend you are to be giving problematic scopes for gifts. Hahahahaha

"Here's your gift. It's is going to frustrate the living shit out of you and won't work right...ever. It's worthy only of the trashcan...or you. Happy Birthday!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Example of low price high quality Super sniper scopes.Example of high price low quality Leupold scopes.It Do happen.Would love to see LOWLIGHT take this $250 ffp for a ride I say it is a 50/50 chance it might be ok NF no on par with some scopes costing lots more probally.
Scot </div></div>
Did you have an issue w/ a loopy? would love to hear about it!
The s/s is a good piece of gear but I noticed out to 800 is the pinnacle of the glass not to say you cant shoot farther but the clarity goes quick past that distance it seems .
I saw a hit at 1100 with it

I have issue w/a few loopys not tracking and canted crosshairs. But my main issue is they are way over priced. The older ones seem to hold up better but they are no longer the scope they once were .As far as the SS out past 800 I think for the money they are as clear as they need to be I.M.O. But then agian when my eyes were younger irons worked out to 600.
Scot

My .22 trainer is on the way. Anybody tried one of these scopes yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My .22 trainer is on the way. Anybody tried one of these scopes yet? </div></div>
id go weaver 3-10 MIl/MIl. Thats my plan actually.

The weaver a has a crappy old mil dot & only 16 mils elevation, & very expensive.
Not the scope the bsa is for a trainer, that is if the bsa works.

A few years back I bought a BSA Platinum 6X24. It was a good buy for the $. It was one of the early made in Japan units & performed well.

I used it for about seven years & then sold the scope with the rifle it was mounted on.

I have heard some horror stories about BSA scopes. Maybe I was lucky & also it's a possibility that the earlier ones were better made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rod B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A few years back I bought a BSA Platinum 6X24. It was a good buy for the $. It was one of the early made in Japan units & performed well.

</div></div>

I too knew the OLD Japan made BSA scopes to be dependable scopes. (No they never were a $1000 scope, come on. But they were repeatable and held up fine.)

I remember the original BSA's to be pretty good units. Then they went to crap. Interested about such a modern tactical style scope as this one is, I called BSA/Gamo and had a LONG conversation with the VP. He explained:

The old original BSA scopes were made in Japan and were of dependable/repeatable quality. Then BSA sold out to mass production & cost cuts to make Wal-mart happy. Like so many other good products, when they sealed the deal with wal-mart the quality went out the window to meet cost per unit agreements. [He admitted (in eloquent terms) the current BSA name = junk on the street. I appreciated his honesty.]

BSA/Gamo recently got a new CEO, and he's determined to get BSA quality & the name to a place of better/higher than it EVER was. I explained I was a seasoned 1k yard f-class shooter and new how to shoot, how to load and immediately knew good equipment from junk. He said time and time again If I'd give the scope a try, I WOULD BE pleased, that these scopes were better than the old Japan made units.
The guy seemed to be shooting me dead straight. And the scope @ Midways $250 price is the lowest cost scope that has every modern tactical scope feature.
The conversation with the VP &
It having a little more than (claimed) 26 mils elevation turned my head & sealed the deal for me.- I need a scope with a LOT of elevation for my new .22RF trainer...

He also told me the new CEO has created a "signature" warranty, carrying his personal signature. From what I heard it's basically a forever no questions asked warranty.

So I'm gonna try one.

I should receive it in the mail early next week. We'll see if it is a good scope. Here it is: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=456482

If it is a dud, then Larry Potterfield will just have to eat it! He's the exclusive & only dealer for this particular unit.

I'll do put it through the paces in EVERY way and report back. I'm putting it on a .22, so who knows how it would hold up on heavy recoil, but I'll test it in every other way.

"Crazy" not to spend $250 on a BSA.

Dude, if you're gonna throw your money away at least give it to a charity or something.

There is no substitute for quality. BSA is cheap Chinese made GARBAGE. Period.

Sorry for the rant. Just couldn't stand the BSA bullshit anymore.

I have the scope. It seems comparable to Falcon Optics in quality (fit, finish and lenses.)

I have not tested it at the range as the scope base for my .22 trainer is still on back order.

I would like to hear your review on it when you take it to the range. I have thought about getting one of these for the 22 also.

Scot, Leupold is a very bad example of "high end" optics. They're overprice junk. But if you honestly think a BSA will compare to a NF, I think you're being a bit optimistic. I have seen plenty of BSA's and they're exactly what they are, LOW END optics.

I would rather save a few more nickles and invest in a better scope (Vortex PST for example) if I was looking at <$1000 FFP variable mag optics.

You would be just as well off if not better off with a toilet paper tube with pubic hair for a reticle, and it would probably zero faster than a non tracking BSA too. For the same price you can get a weaver grand slam tactical, or two Bushnell 3200 10x's and be much better off.

If you want a cheap chi-com scope then I would suggest going to wally world and picking up a center point 4-16x50 for $70. Surprisingly the scope tracks decently and always returns to zero and holds zero, plus when the scope breaks, which a Chinese scope WILL break your only out of a trip to Walmart and your right back in business. With the BSA you have to go to the post office, pay for postage to send it in, and wait for weeks at the mercy of BSA's crappy customer service while your rifle is without a scope, and hope that that replacement they send you isn't a dud because they sure as hell aren't fixing a scope that probably cost them all of $20. The glass on the centerpoint is useless above 10x (what Chinese scope isn't though) but at 10x where the reticle is true its plenty clear for daytime plinking. The illumination is also pretty much useless as both red and green are both way too bright on all settings, and the rheostat usually dies before the first battery does. For a $70 scope for a 22 or something that's strictly a range gun its purpose served and is super easy to break when it breaks.

A $300 BSA though.... F that, not even those crappy millets or falcon are worh that when there's higher quality scopes for the same or less money,

If nothing else I think it's a good sign that more main stream scope companies are starting to produce FFP options.

Like others said though with my previews BSA experiences boy would I have to be impressed with it to spend $300 on one.