• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BSA ffp/mil-mil scope

Re: BSA ffp/mil-mil scope

Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread.

My calculation shows 5mil@25yards = 4.5 inches. Because 10mil@25yd = 0.25yd = 9inc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I performed this box test at 25yrd. The corner dots are about 5.5in up or down, and 5.5in left or right from center. I fired 3 rounds on the center dot to confirm zero. All 3 were 12O'clock on the center dot. I dialed 5mil up and 5mil left, shot 3 rounds. Dialed 10mil down, shot three rounds, and so on, you get the point. After completeing the box, I returned to zero and fired 4 rounds. These covered the first 3.
DSCN1211.jpg

As measured with the reticule, the groups are not exactly 5mil(more like 4.5mil) from center, but they are even, and seem to be repeatable. Return to zero was good. Like I said in a previous post, the clicks feel a little mushy. There is an audible click. The glass appears to be of good quality, especially for the price. In my oppinion, this is a great scope for a 22 trainer. It is not high end optics(ie nightforce or the like) but seems to be quite adequate for a budget build or a training rifle. </div></div>

I just got one of these in for a customer, and after looking through at a target about 400 yards away, I noticed some distinct blurriness. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it a simple matter of eye placement, as I have heard that is very critical for the Falcons.

ETA: This was done as light was indeed fading. Perhaps that too was a reason. I will try again in brighter light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread.

My calculation shows 5mil@25yards = 4.5 inches. Because 10mil@25yd = 0.25yd = 9inc.

You are correct 5mil@25 yards is 4.5 inches. 5.5 inches at 25 yards is 6.1mil, however I never said that 5.5 inces was 5mil. I just said that the dots were placed at 5.5 inches. The test was performed by adding 5mil adjustments. Why not 6.1mil? I don't know, probably should have been done that way but it wasn't. Anyway the groups still only measure about 4.5mil from the center dot using the reticle (not 4.5 inches.) This suggests that the turret adjestments are pretty accurate, but the reticle is not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I performed this box test at 25yrd. The corner dots are about 5.5in up or down, and 5.5in left or right from center. I fired 3 rounds on the center dot to confirm zero. All 3 were 12O'clock on the center dot. I dialed 5mil up and 5mil left, shot 3 rounds. Dialed 10mil down, shot three rounds, and so on, you get the point. After completeing the box, I returned to zero and fired 4 rounds. These covered the first 3.
DSCN1211.jpg

As measured with the reticule, the groups are not exactly 5mil(more like 4.5mil) from center, but they are even, and seem to be repeatable. Return to zero was good. Like I said in a previous post, the clicks feel a little mushy. There is an audible click. The glass appears to be of good quality, especially for the price. In my oppinion, this is a great scope for a 22 trainer. It is not high end optics(ie nightforce or the like) but seems to be quite adequate for a budget build or a training rifle. </div></div> </div></div>

I'll chime in here. I saw this on sale at Midway for $250 and was intrigued, so I found as much user feedback as I could, including this thread. As someone else here mentioned, it seemed as if everyone who actually had one in hand was quite impressed, and they people who poo-pooed it hadn't actually tried one. I wanted an FFP, mil/mil 3-15ish scope to practice my dope with on a .22, and I didn't have a fortune to spend. That said, I have also experienced the 'got what you paid for' feeling from cheap scopes in the past. Based on the excellent and informative reviews by a few guys here, and the pics taken through the actual glass, I decided I'd give one a try. Here is my experience. I received it one week ago.
It comes nicely packed inside a sort of fancy Crown Royal bag within a sturdy box, and includes a sunshade and a rubber 'bikini' type lens cover. I don't understand the reasoning behind the velvety bag, since you're gonna mount it on a gun and never use the bag again anyway. Would have preferred they spent the effort on some BC style caps instead, but oh well.
Pulled it out of the box and walked outside to look through the glass, and I have to say it exceeded my expectations by a startling margin. I'll say that this glass is better than any other Chinese scope I've ever seen. I have looked through $1k scopes that were not as clear and sharp. Of course, that is a completely subjective statement and YMMV; it's not really arguable over the internet, just my impression. Once mounted on my .22 trainer, my initial impressions of the glass quality solidified. It is really a pretty nice scope to look through, and very easy on the eyes.
Shooting it on the .22, everything works just as advertised, and the adjustments are repeatable. Let me say, having mil/mil and FFP on a .22 is freakin' magic! The turrets are easy to use with big fingers in cold weather, and the clicks are both audible and tactile. But, and this may be a big but, or no big deal to you, there is some 'mush' in the turrets. I investigated this, and basically found there to be some lash, or loose fit, between the splines on the turret caps, and splines on the actual adjuster underneath. The movement is damped by the o-rings that seal the turrets, so they don't rattle, but the mush is still there. Chinese machine tolerances still need improvement, and honestly, the adjusters are the only part that looks a little cheesy to me, and I wouldn't mind seeing a locking feature. They work just fine though, and you can zero them out once you find your zero. The focus and mag adjustments are both smooth and easy to turn. The rest of the build is pretty robust and feels as if it would take some abuse.
One nice feature for using this on a .22, is the side focus/parallax dials down to about 10 yds, and it would work fine for short range indoor practice.
So it worked great on a .22, and for the money, I couldn't be happier. Why not put it through some shit, right? So I mounted it to an LR308 gas gun, which is supposed to be tough on scopes, due to recoil in both directions. Out to the range, and it was a pretty sorry day for shooting, in the 40's with rain and 5-20 mph full value wind. I shot about 90 rounds with this scope over four hours, and by the end it had received a complete soaking from the sideways rain coming under the roof. The sunshade was great at keeping the objective dry, but the ocular got a soaking with no ill effects. I tested removing and zeroing the turrets in the rain as well, again with no ill effects, so it does seem to be weather resistant. The glass I'll have to say again, was remarkable at this price point. On a gray, rainy/misty day contrast and clarity at 750 yds was comparable to a $1k scope on the rifle next to it, and worlds better that another $250 scope I had with me.
Is it as nice as a $1k scope. No. Not quite. Would I rather have a $1k scope? Sure. Would I rather have a $1k scope more than a complete, nice .22 training rifle with one of these on top of it, out the door? No, Bob, I'll take the new rifle, please. Would I rather have four of these so I can afford to have mil/mil FFP on everything? I think so, and I'll spend the savings on ammo. Is this duty quality? Of course not, because when it's your ass, you don't compromise for price, and there is certainly better stuff to be had.
All that being said, only time and use can tell the true durability/reliability story. If this thing craps out, then the scope snobs will be proven right, once again. I have no problem with that, and will post an update if that's the case. But for now, I was impressed enough to buy another one.

You want mine? Not sure if its me, ammo,the scope, or possibly the rifle. Used on a .22lr. Anywhere from 0-3 rounds after adjusting would be far from zero(up to an inch at 25 yards)and then it settles in. I tried this with two other scopes (flea market tascos)and did not have the issue. A call to Gamo/BSA revealed that I am supposed to "tap" the turrets after making adjustments. I haven't had to do this with my other scopes. This scope is very clear and sturdy compared to my other scopes. I really wanted to like it. Thinking about sending it in and selling it off when it comes back.

Sure, if you're serious, I'll take if you don't want it.
grin.gif

I can't give it away but I can do better than Midwayusa in price. I don't want to violate the 100 posts rule so I might put it up on armslist or ebay.

I have a few odds and ends to sell as well, but like you, short on posts. Have 1 more than you now though.

Ok, I said I would add an update if I found any issues, so here's one. I mentioned in my previous review that I thought the turret construction was a little cheesy. They are cheesier than I originally thought. Here is my functional issue: The number of splines on the adjusters and turrets does not match the number of clicks. What this means is that if you are unlucky, your zero may not line up with the splines, so when you reset your turrets to zero, 1 click off is as close as you can get them. I ran into this issue on the elevation on one scope, and the windage on the other. One click isn't the end of the world, but this is a fairly glaring engineering flaw, and shouldn't be there. Of course, you may get lucky and never run into this issue if your zeros line up with the splines, but something to be aware of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TenZero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I said I would add an update if I found any issues, so here's one. I mentioned in my previous review that I thought the turret construction was a little cheesy. They are cheesier than I originally thought. Here is my functional issue: The number of splines on the adjusters and turrets does not match the number of clicks. What this means is that if you are unlucky, your zero may not line up with the splines, so when you reset your turrets to zero, 1 click off is as close as you can get them. I ran into this issue on the elevation on one scope, and the windage on the other. One click isn't the end of the world, but this is a fairly glaring engineering flaw, and shouldn't be there. Of course, you may get lucky and never run into this issue if your zeros line up with the splines, but something to be aware of. </div></div>

Pretty common on even some higher-end scopes. I know the SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD's have this "issue" as well as the Bushnell Tactical line.

Ten my 6-24 tactical done the same thing on the zero. I purchased a sav12 and decided it was time to put my mechanic skills to work. ordered a 20moa base and sav2 trigger choate stock and bolted all together installed my 4200 elite (old long version) and ran out of adjustment to get a 100yard zero. .223cal. so i ordered this bsa tactical scope i firmly agree with others would i trust my life to it no.. are they good for the money yes... but have had all the previous problems mentioned sad when a 150 dollar scope can zero a 20moa base and the 500 dollar at the time scope cant... but none the less if youre not beating the scope to death and mount it properly it should work fine. i use the mils for hold off points instead of continous turns on the turrets to save face. you have 6 already installed aiming points on the reticle. glass etched being a nice feature as well a bit shaddy on the top end but for the money still a nice scope.

Ordered one... plan to see how long it takes to kill it on a 700VTR in .308, then I'll put it's replacement on a .22 mag or .22 trainer rifle.

Got in a day or two ago. First impressions are favorable. Mounted and zeroed on a AR-10 for now, going to play with it some and I'll give some feedback.

Well looks like I'll be another guinea pig. Will be going on a remington 700 300wsm to try out. Will be used for 200 yard target practice (nj sucks) and possible hunting later in the year. Hope it can stand the torture test. If not replacement will go on a 22lr i guess. Looking for a cheap budget scope and this has the features I'm looking for mil/mil, ffp. Until i purchase a vortex pst.