• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes bsa sweet .223 for the money 3x12x40

HDoctane

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
sacramento , california
just curious for someone that dpoesant shoot everyday whats some imput on the bsa sweet .223 does it do the job for a once amonth shooter on a budget I will get something nice but for now moneys tight

Re: bsa sweet .223 for the money 3x12x40

Oh dear...

Well, my advice would be if you are going to put inexpensive glass on your rifle, it should be the cheapest possible especially if you are saving for an upgrade. Alot of guys would have you just not shoot until you had saved for the best but I think the trigger time would have merit. The biggest problem with cheap optics is going to be tracking or rather the lack there of. If you get it dialed in to 100 yards and primarily shoot that distance, it should be fine. But back to the cheapest possible theory, it looks like this scope is going to run 100 bucks or more. for the money, I'd opt for the vortex crossfire from swfa, I beleive they are on sale for the same money. I would still look for cheaper if you can, find yourself a 40-50 dollar scope, that will be less time until you upgrade. Remember, the more you spend now, the long it will take to get the funds for the better one. And that bsa will be worthless when you are done with it, trying to sell it later to fund your next purchase will gain you little. Better yet, try to find someone who all ready upgraded and buy their cheap scope cheaper.

This is the link to the Crossfire.

I bought mine from swfa last week. It is clear and a great scope for it being cheap. We shoot alot of bsa scopes on higher magnum guns without an issue also.

Id buy it. For a budget scope its great. I got the 6-18-40

I know its different but I have a sweet .22 on my gun. It does the job. I can't get another one for it right now and for the cost, it does what I expect from a 70 dollar scope.

The BDC turrets suck, however the scope does hold a good zero. The screws for the turrets strip really easy too. I also bought mine from SWFA.
smile.gif

I just put a Sweet17 6X16X40AO side focus for $150.00 to my door, on my Savage 93R17-BTVS 17HMR. The scope is clear and bright and the BDC works very well out to 150yds(<have not went past 150yds yet) and back to 50yds and it held zero, I was suprised how well it did work for a cheap scope.
On the BSA website it says new for 2009, So I am guessing there are different generations? Maybe the genII is better? Mine has a side focus knob for AO and I see others with the same specs and AO on end of the scope.

Blue Skies

Ive shot mine over the weekend with the 223 sweet scope. Tracks and holds a zero fine. I adjusted the turrent up to 250 at 100 yards shot and brought down to 100 again and hit in same spot. Look up my name and u will see my target i posted

Owned a Sweet 22. The worst piece of glass Ive ever seen. Ive seen cheaper bushnells look better. For a cheap scope you may check out the Simmons Whitetail Classic mildot for a little over a bill from Midwayusa.com.

I'm in the same boat as you with no money(and no job at the moment), but I got a CenterPoint from WalMart for $55.00. It's a 4-16x40 illum. mil-dot scope with zero lock, and for what I do(100 yd bench is the only thing around me), it works excellent. Mine tracks great and is pretty clear (although to be honest, I've never looked through good glass). One day I will be able to own some good glass, but until then, my WalMart cheapy works good. YMMV

Im no expert, but I would say get the best scope possible. If you can afford a high end rifle, get a high end scope. But for cheaper rifles or rimfires, BSA and Centpoint works just fine.