• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buchanan Press - Any experience/advice?

obk

Private
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2020
    Arizona
    Do any of you have experience with the Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Reloading Press? I saw it referenced in a few earlier threads but not much from folks already using one.

I picked one up recently with the hope of getting into reloading without having to dedicate too much space to it and retaining some mobility so I can bring it to the range or wherever else if I want. Seemed like the better option compared to the Lee Loader and similar. Cost more and had better fit/finish at least. Should have all the things I need together shortly and for now I'll be reloading 308 and 556, eventually 6.5 and 375H&H once I get the components together. Not expecting much volume and component availability is looking to support that at the moment so I think I'll be working in batches on 20 start to finish.

There are a few good videos from the vendor, but do any of you have first hand experience? Setup quirks or things to look out for? I've reloaded for 308 on a normal single stage before, but only 60 or so cartridges, so I've got that as a baseline.

Its fits a really unique niche which is it is a precision mobile press. From what I remember most folks liked them, especially for like hunters traveling to remote locations where taking ammo with you is limited.

The two complaints I have heard is the cost compared to the Lee hand press and the action can be rough on the hands if you dont mount it to a table or a log or something heavy.

Reactions: obk
    I picked up the lock n'load version over the summer, and I love it! Recently, space has been a premium at home, so the small profile and portability has been perfect for my needs.

It's well made and very solid. In the five or so months that I've had it, I've sized a few thousand cases and loaded up a few hundred pistol and 308 rounds. No complaints about the results.

I've only experienced a few "issues" with it since I've had it, and they're really minor inconveniences that are quick to fix/deal with. In no particular order: the lock n'load bushing (in the press) started to loosen up on me after I had sized ~600 cases. I just hand tightened it, and it didn't loosen up until about another 200 or so cases. After repeating this a couple more times, I just put some blue lock tight on the threads it hasn't been a problem since. I should've done that from the start.

Another thing I've encountered has been that the nut where the spent primer catch attaches onto came loose. This is a problem because that nut is what holds the part where you insert the shell holder in place. If it's loose, it'll spin on you as you use it. I just grabbed a ratchet and socket to tighten it up, and it's been good to go since.

The last thing I've encountered has been the left cap head screw in the base, the one which is used to pivot the left arm off of, will periodically loosen off on me as I use it. I've just been hand tightening it since it only loosens off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn between use and me checking. I haven't tried putting blue lock tight on it yet, but maybe in the future I'll try to see if it holds.

Ultimately, I am very pleased with my purchase and would spend the money again. Also, I know it may sound silly, but I really like the case mine came in. It's a nice touch.

Great input, much appreciated! I also really like the case. I'm able to put the whole setup with a scale, dies, prep tools, etc into a small box and that's pretty valuable to me right now.