• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget 1907 pattern sling from cabelas?

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
While I'd love to eventually pick up a nice Turner-made sling, it's not in the budget at the moment, and I'd like to keep the milsurp sling that accompanied my '03 from sustaining any new damage (it's not in the best of shape...). Does anyone have any experience with the budget ($25-27) triple-k 1907 slings they sell at cabelas? Will they function properly?

They will.....probably...for a short period of time before they stretch out, rip or the frogs bend and it will be useless. This will happen when you most need it.

Take your time and save some money. In the meantime get a cotton or nylon sling and practice the loop method. The cotton/nylon slings are much easier to use anyway.

but....they lack soul. Save your money and at minimum get a Turner. Turners seem nicer than GI MRT slings and they are serviceable. If you decide to step up with about $10 in investment over Turner ($60 or so) try a Ron Brown 1907 sling. I was trying to get a Les Tam sling and Mr. Tam told me he was booked up so I should try a Ron Brown sling. Les Tam met Ron Brown on the beach in Hawaii and apprenticed him on his sling building methods.

I took the MRT sling off this rifle and mounted a Ron Brown.

Its a serious peice of Herman Oak leather and the hardware is beefier than GI. It beats Tuner by a good bit.

There are different ways to rig your sling. I like running mine backwards with the frogs against the rifle (Oh No! Wont that scratch it!). It tightens better and will stay tight while you are in sling.

pmclaine, mind if I ask, is that a PWS built rifle?

Yes, yes it is. Its built on all new parts (save the trigger) and shoots mighty fine. Matter of fact my work here is done and in about 15 minutes it and I are going to continue getting to know one another.

I started in service rifle and wore out a leather sling in about 4 months of Sunday shooting I was guides to Renee sadlery and spent the next 4 Years using it, although it took about 6 months and a few rain storms to break in. I have never used any other brand over turner so I can't say how they are compared, if money is tight thy had seconds on the turner sight for a bit less. The synthetic sling are nearly as good from turner but I've seen people get stuck in them. Rain gets on them and they have a tendency to lock on.

My better half loves your hat by the way.

Replica 1939 Red Sox.

Wanted to buy one for my son last month while at Fenway. Pissed me off they changed the design. Now instead of a sewn on felt "B" the have an embroidered one.

How the crap can you call that a replica hat?

Any 1907 sling be it turner MRI of Cabalas will work better and last longer if you give them a good work out every now and them with saddle soap. Same with any other leather product.

Any 1907 sling be it turner MRI of Cabalas will work better and last longer if you give them a good work out every now and them with saddle soap. Same with any other leather product.

My MRT from 1986 was dry and cracking at the frog holes. I greased it up with Pecards Antique dressing and it is looking like brand new. Nice and soft.

Too much dressing though and I'd think I'd be greasing it up to stretch more than it should.

Like everything in life use in moderation. More is not always better.

Recommend saving up for a Turner LEATHER sling. Mine got me my "master card" and Distinguished Rifleman's Badge. You will not be disappointed in the initial investment, as it will break in well, give you great service, and further your quest in becoming a rifleman.

Recommend avoiding the synthetic Turner sling. Too hard to work with... My 0.02.