• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing budget 300 weatherby mag project

Streetstar

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2011
THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT

Its winter time so my thoughts wander to my stack of unfinished "projects" ––- i just finished an AR pistol, have ordered some parts for a Rem 700 .243 Scout project, and am now considering a longer range target specific rifle. I want a .300 WBY because i like the cartridge , have several other rifles in that calibre and have been reloading for it for a long time

I entertained the thought of one of the ER Shaw "semi-custom" rifle packages but the wait time is pretty long and a lot of internet reports on ER Shaw barrels is that they are OK, but nothing special. So i looked at my gunsafe and i have 2 Weatherby Vanguards (Howa actions) both in .300 Weatherby Mag –– one gets used lots, the other one just sits -
I wish to re-barrel the safe-sitter with a longer, heavier barrel and re-stock it . Stocks are easy, but does anybody have any recommendations for a reasonably priced - (i dont mean cheap either –– but this isn't a Surgeon action we're talking about ) barrel and are there any difficulties in finding barrels for the Howa based rifles?
I thought that using my action, i could slide in close to the ER Shaw rifle price, but have a bit better barrel to boot –––– My intention is to have a decent long range fun rifle, not a competition rig or anything close

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Edit -- i have posted this same query on another firearms forum, but wandered here and thought i might get a better answer -

Re: budget 300 weatherby mag project

If your goIng to pay a gunsmith to blueprint the action and fit a new barrel, I would spend alittle more and get a better barrel (mike rock,kreiger, ext..)

I have a howa action with a shilen barrel in 300 WSM. It is pretty dam accurate for what I have into it.

Thanks for the feedback, i have looked into Shilen as well --- i am contemplating sending the action to the barrel maker for fitting, there are very few 'smiths in my area . Plenty of parts changers though.
Surgeon makes their actions in a lottle town just 40 miles away from me --- i'll call those guys and see if they can recommend someone local ---
This project is one i have wanted to do for a while but it was always one of those things that is easy to back-burner because of more pressing needs .
Even now, i am trying to budget for an AR50 that has come up for sale at a decent price in my area ----groan - it never ends
frown.gif

If you find a smith that can't fit the howa....walk away. There is nothing voodoo about howa actions...fact is, they are dang good. They do use metric threads, but that is the sole oddity. They can be a sob to get the tube loose on, especially the blued ones....but it will come off.