• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget binoculars, Nikon Monarch 5. 8x42 vs Bushnell Ultra Legend HD 8x42, any experiences

bjtiger75

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2010
Anderson, SC
I am currently in the market for a set of binoculars to mainly be used for hunting. Most of the places I hunt the longest view is less than 500 yards. I have a budget of about $300 for new set and have seen good reviews on both of these. Any observations of these two?

Thanks,
BJ

I use the NIKON Monarch ATB 10X42 and the quality is excellent. They get a lot of use at the Outer Banks searching for Dolphins. When I purchased them, I compared them to 5 others of similar or highr price and selected them - clear. Think you can get them for under $300.00.

I'd give the Nikon Monarch set another vote. For that budget the Monarch's would get my money.

I've been researching a set of 8x42s for my father in law and bought an "open box" Meopta MeoPro 8x42 from Camra Land NY for $269 (normal price $399). I've had them for 10 days or so.

I then ran across a bird forum thread on the newer low end Zeiss Terra binoculars. These are made in China to Zeiss specs (supposedly), but have German glass.

The local Sportsman's Whse had the Zeiss Terra, but only in 10x42. I did a brief outside comparison with a set of Monarch 5s (also in 10x42). To my eyes the Zeiss won by a significant margin - mostly for a much better field of view, but also brightness. Both seems to have a good crisp focus, (based on my very brief review that was in bright sunlight).

The Zeiss Terra in 8x42, with a free carry case (they normally come with zero accessories), are $349 delivered from Eagle Optics. Mine came in yesterday. I've been comparing them to the Meopta Meopro 8x42 off and on all morning (also with some nighttime views from my balcony last night).

The quality of the glass (to me) is virtually identical, with a possible slight edge in crispness going to the Zeiss. I was just barely able to read a no skateboarding sign on a light pole ~120 yards with the Ziess, The MeoPros were just barely behind (could not quite pick out all the wording). However, when looking at some big sky views just off the the rising sun this AM, the Meopta seems to do a little better job against the glare.

The eye-cup relief at the middle setting (I wear glasses), is better for me with the Meopta - they are just a little less critical when bring them up to my eyes. The Meopta's focus wheel is a little less sensitive and seems to work a bit easier as well. The Meopta wins on ease of use; easy noticeable - but not a huge deal.

The Zeiss is in a more compact package and wins overall in the looks or cool factor department. Both are fairly heavy.

After viewing the store demo Zeiss 10x42, I felt sure I would be returning the Meopta 8x42 and ordering the Terras for the F-I-L. That's not going to happen after the side by side comparison. I think the "easier to use" win, (not to mention the better "open box" pricing), will work well for him. They will likely be left at the beach cabin for general use - from checking who's showing up at a neighbors cabin (security issues), to "views on the beach" :). The Ziess Terra 8x42s will become my general use binoculars and probably see some use at my gun club for spotting hits on steel when I can get by w/o the spotter. Also the occasional back yard birding, which my wife and I enjoy.

Last edited:
I have an older set of Nikon Monarch 10x42's. I'm not sure what "grade" they are but the quality is very good. I think they listed for ~$350 when I purchased them.

I am right there with Shootist. I went through this whole process back in October trying to decide between the Monarch 5, Zeiss Terra, Bushnell Legend HD, Cabela's Alaskan Guide and Vortex Diamondback. I spent several hours on multiple trips to Cabela's comparing all of them both indoors and out. After all of my comparison time I chose the new Zeiss Terra 10x42. I nearly jumped my budget up $100 to the Vortex Talon 10x42 but comparing them both I couldn't justify the extra money. My final decision was between the Nikon, Zeiss, and the more expensive Talon.