• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget Bolt Action build

brad.allen7

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
My goal is to build a range/hunting rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor while staying just at or under $2,000. Through my research so far, I think I can get a better rifle by building one rather than buying a factory rifle, however, I'm pretty new to the precision rifle realm and haven't done this before. What do you all recommend for what I'm trying to achieve? So far I was thinking either a Bghorn Origin or Defiance Tenacity for the action and then Criterion on the cheaper end of barrels or maybe just spend the extra and getting a bartlein/krieger.

Im open to all suggestions, just trying to learn and figure out what the best route would be. Thanks.

Reactions: jcmullis2
2k or right around there should be easily doable. Can get an Origin Barreled action (Green Mountain barrel) from Keystone Accuracy for $1,270 with a threaded barrel. KRG Bravo is $349, Triggertech Diamond $275. All in for just under $1900 ($2100 for the Krieger barrel)

Define “better rifle”. All of the factory precision rifles in the $1,000 - 2,000 range will shoot sub moa “if I do my part”, and I would think nearly if not equal in accuracy to a $2,000 custom build (I read it on the Hide so it must be true!).

But the feedback I’ve read on here suggests the custom actions might be smoother and have a few more desirable options standard vs factory.

The other advantage of a custom build is you get to hand pick the chassis you like best up to your price point. But depending on the action price and fitted barrel price, your chassis options might be limited. Good but limited.

My goal is to build a range/hunting rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor while staying just at or under $2,000. Through my research so far, I think I can get a better rifle by building one rather than buying a factory rifle, however, I'm pretty new to the precision rifle realm and haven't done this before. What do you all recommend for what I'm trying to achieve? So far I was thinking either a Bghorn Origin or Defiance Tenacity for the action and then Criterion on the cheaper end of barrels or maybe just spend the extra and getting a bartlein/krieger.

Im open to all suggestions, just trying to learn and figure out what the best route would be. Thanks.

What do you hope to learn from this thread that hasn't allready been explained in the other thread you opened yesterday going over the same things ?

7mmshooter is absolutely right. The only question is how long? If only a few weeks I’d jump on it
Spend the extra for the threaded Krieger barrel

What do you hope to learn from this thread that hasn't allready been explained in the other thread you opened yesterday going over the same things ?
Just trying to narrow down exactly what barrel/action to buy/understand what exactly would be the best route for my budget. I apologize for the repetitiveness.

If it’s a range and hunting rifle then it’s hard to pass up a Havak or CTR SS. Personally I’d probably pick the CTR SS and put the extra $1K toward your glass budget.

Reactions: brad.allen7
7mmshooter is absolutely right. The only question is how long? If only a few weeks I’d jump on it
Spend the extra for the threaded Krieger barrel
I think that's exactly what I'm going to do (with a krieger barrel). Thanks for everybody's input.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Man I’d honestly look into a Seekins Havak PH2, sub 2k but great rifles

Get a tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Put it in a KRG Bravo. Buy a 10 dollar trigger spring and enjoy it. Upgrade it over time.

Theres a lot of different options as far as chassis and every gunsmith can build a barrel for it. Put the extra money towards glass and over time you will have a BA rifle.

Last edited:
Man I’d honestly look into a Seekins Havak PH2, sub 2k but great rifles
I do like that rifle and the bravo, however, for the extra $300 i could be into a bighorn action and krieger barrel. I think I'd rather just spend the extra $300 (already have a scope)

Reactions: clark33