• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget build ideas

oconnell.josh

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
South Eastern NC
Hi everyone. I'm Josh and new to the forums and fairly new to LR shooting. I don't have a lot of spare money but would like to build a decent rifle. I currently own a remington 770, I know I got what I paid for, but I was wondering if there was anything worth while that I can do that isn't to expensive. A $100 here or there isn't to bad. So far the only thing I have bought was a Leapers 3-9x40 mil-dot scope. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Re: Budget build ideas

sell it and buy a used 700. shoot the hell out of it.
find a used rem 700 ADL, usually will run you around 400-500. check some pawn shops as well.
good luck!

You could always buy a used Savage or a Stevens 200. They are easy to upgrade as money allows. Thats what I have done with my Stevens and it shoots great and has been an "interesting" process since I've done all the work myself! Good luck

If your budget is really tight look around and find a good used savage varmint rifle in 308. You can shoot it now and later on install a custom pre chambered and threaded barrel cheaply. Most of the savages already have pillar bedded actions and you will not get into LR cheaper than this!

+1 on the savage. Swapping barrels is a whole lot more affordable and less time consuming when you can do it yourself.

You can run 308-based cases very easily out of a long-action 110 or Stevens 200.

There are quite a few more aftermarket stock options for the short action Savage/Stevens, however.

Sell the 770 and leave the Leapers on it. Get a Savage HB 308 of whatever model you prefer. It gives you all kinds of possiblities for modification down the road. If it must be extremely cheap, go for the Stevens 200. It is a sporter weight rifle but still gives you the ability to easily upgrade to better parts down the road.

My first build was a budget build to see if I could do it without any specialized machine work. Bought a Remington 700 .243 Youth at a gun show for $315 otd. Then I wanted a .308, so I purchased a Shilen short chambered prefit barrel from Brownells for $259 and a Timney trigger for $125. Bought an action wrench and barrel vise for about $120. Unscrewed and installed the new barrel, rented a finish reamer and presto. New rifle for me. The stock was a used HS Precision off a 700P. Best group to date .189 moa (pure luck). Ave groups are .6 moa. Total for barreled action with tools was around $860, then I bought a bolt knob and installed it myself.