• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

budget build....which stock

coues7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2007
White Mountains AZ
Any stock recommendations for a budget build? I'm doing a Rem 700 in 243 and I'd like to have an adjustable cheek piece. What is available?

Thanks

Re: budget build....which stock

whats the budget? Budget whats that???

Def a bell and Carlson but what's your budget. That term is very ambiguous here lol

Patience and planning in the right stock are key to a budget. You did not cite what you are using the stock for as weight starts to play a factor if for hunting. The B&Cs are a great place to start if you are looking for new. Also, you should check out some of the used stocks for sale on this site as you might come across something used with a cheek height adj already installed or for less expense than new. If your future planning includes DBM the then patience and saving a little extra will pay off. You only listed an adj cheek piece, but thinking down the road can save some $$. I run HS stocks, because I like the weight reduction. I run a PST035 which is around 2.4 lbs. I also run a PST012 which is around 2.6 lbs. Add a cheek piece and a little extra poundage. Again, B&C are hard to beat for the price. Be patient and Blessings!!

I was pretty set on the B&C A-5 but I'm now leaning towards the AIC1.5. I know it's about double the price, so I'm weighing the pros and cons right now.

You can also make your own cheek rest like the Karsten with thermoplastic and a heat gun.

-Travis

If this is primarily for a hunting rig, and you plan to move around or possibly stalk, just make sure to consider stock weight. While all the bells and whistles (adj. cheek piece, adj. butt plate, etc.) in e.g. a B&C A5 are very nice, they do come at the price of additional weight. The A5 weighs in at 5 lbs., which is why I use a lighter rifle/stock on my elk hunts.
If you can't get proper cheek weld with a lighter stock, seriously consider a Karsten cheek piece.

Or build a cheekpiece with a "Isomat" and green riggers tape. Worked great for years before I bought an adjustable and still have it done this way on my return staock which is my hunting rig. If you dont like the way it looks, throw a stock pack on and call it a day. For a hunting rig, on a budget, thats what I would recommend doing.

Isomat..........$5.00
Riggers tape....$5.00
Stock Pack......$30.00

For a budget build I'm going to throw out a +1 on the B&C medalist a2. I'm running one on a 5r right now. You could either throw an adjustable piece on one, but I'll probably just find an isomat and a stock pack.

I went with the B/C Medalist Style 3 and have been very happy with it. It appeared to be the best price/performance option for me.