• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget build with the Krylon touch!

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
Just wanted to share my diy Krylon camo. What do u think?

The rifle is a newly put together 300 win mag, #3 bartlein, remington action, hs stock and bottom metal. Hunting rig!

Last edited:
one of the better krylon-kryptek copies that I've ever seen! good color combo for the Oklahoma woods as well. Great job!

Looks great now.

After some light use it will look like crap. So unless it's a safe queen, plan on repainting it every other year.

Thanks Tex! I really like kryptek! This is supposed to be close to the highlander. I think it'll match perfect around here in winter.

Bird, you may be right but it's coated pretty well and a lot of clear. I also have extra paint! Worst comes to worse I strip it off. Stock seems like it took the paint well. The metal....we'll see. It's a hunting rig so not worried about pretties.

I saw the first pictures and was all wow that looks awesome but it probably won't shoot very well without a trigger :) I'm also curious about your technique because it looks so good

I like how that turned out. Are you using any of Krylon's specialty paints? I know the Fusion line is specific for plastic, don't know how that translates to the composite stock or if you use it on that.

Gotta love Krylon

Cool job.

I painted this one and it gets handled a LOT and so far the paint sticks very good. Too good in fact, I neglected to mask the scope turrets and painted over the numbers. It took about 45 mins with some lighter fluid and a lot of elbow grease to get them cleaned up to a point I could see my marks.

Thanks all! It turned out better than I would have expected for a first time.

Here's kind of the order I did it.

HS Stock
Sanded with 220 and 400
Added devcon for texture
Sanded some more
Sprayed the adhesion promotor by duplicolor on the stock after taping off the butt pad
Then W/2 minutes sprayed the rustoleum filler primer to fill any scratches etc.
then sprayed the flat krylon khaki camo paint
Sprayed a few coats
Then sprayed the clear satin krylon colormax clear 2-3x
After this was somewhat complete I moved on to the bottom metal and barreled action.
They were both bead blasted so I went straight to adhesion promotor, primer, and flat khaki
When all that dried I fitted it back together and bolted it all down (not sure you want paint under the action on the bedding, but it worked ok on this one I think)
This was all cleared satin at this point
Then I went on to lightly spray olive and brown flat krylon after adhesion promotor without the stencils.
Next night I added the stencils from ebay and started spraying a little very lightly. Tried to spray olive and brown where the tan was and tan where the other colors were.
Then of course some more promotor and clear.
This paint says it's for plastics and is chip or flake resistant in 7 days. We'll see.

Overall I like how it ended up. I'll post pics.

Just be careful with solvents cleaning it, krylon is very susceptible to being removed by many splbents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk