• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget Friendly Pre-fit barrel Options??

Millron

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2014
West Virginia
Looking for some less costly prefit barrel options. I have several chamberings I'd like to try but not interested in 900.00 barrels for something that's not going to get shot much. Mainly interested in shouldered Prefits for Bighorn and Defiance Ruckus actions, mainly based on the fact I can't stand the look of a barrel nut.......but thats purely a cosmetic reason. We might as well include barrel nut options as well, as I know thats going open up a lot more options. The three that I'm most familiar with:

Keystone - GM prefits. Seems like a decent button barrel. I've tried one of these. Definately no Krieger or bartlein blank but it shot pretty well. Although that probably had more to do with the fact that he knows how to chamber an accurate barrel.

NSS/Criterion - Barrel Nut options only.

PVA - Rock Creek Button barrels. Slightly less expensive than the cut rifle options but limited calibers/twist last time I checked.

Anybody else??

Well shouldered is always going to cost more than a barrel nut.
Either you skimp on the blank or you skimp on the machining.

If I needed cheap it would be a NSS or keystone GM.

Will add preferred barrel blanks to the list of those to check out.

Any feedback with Crown Ridge Barrel Works? I think they are barrel nut only on Pre-fits.

Got a McGowen barrel replacement for my MPA-300-WM, and it is terrific. The web site is easy to navigate to make the order, and the price was very competitive. This will be my Go-T0 barrel company going forward.

You didn't say what caliber ,but proof offers lower cost shouldered prefits for Bighorn and others.
Your absolutely right. I should have mentioned them. I've had proof prefits in 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor and they have been fantastic. Probably the best prefit option out there for the $$, just limited availability and caliber selection right now. Looking at some non stock items like 30-06/22/250, maybe 6 creedmoor which aren't readily available.

Seriously, give keystone a call, I just had him do some minor work for me and he was really good to work with and very quick turnaround

I've used keystone before, just looking to see what else is out there. He does great work at a great price with a quick turn around, just wasn't overly thrilled with the GM blank. I'm not going to get into the weeds as to why, just curious to see what else was out there. He also doesn't offer any finish work on the barrel (cerakote, bead blast, etc) and thats something i'm looking for as well.

You can get X-caliber barrels in the $500 range. Especially if you catch one of their many sales.

I've used keystone before, just looking to see what else is out there. He does great work at a great price with a quick turn around, just wasn't overly thrilled with the GM blank. I'm not going to get into the weeds as to why, just curious to see what else was out there. He also doesn't offer any finish work on the barrel (cerakote, bead blast, etc) and thats something i'm looking for as well.
Well your odds aren’t as good of getting great barrel with the the cheaper blanks next GM blank could be really good.
The two brux 7 mm barrels he cut for me were insane.

I’ve had a few Shilen prefits that were good, one was just decent and two were my best barrels till the keystone brux’s.

Looking for some less costly prefit barrel options. I have several chamberings I'd like to try but not interested in 900.00 barrels for something that's not going to get shot much. Mainly interested in shouldered Prefits for Bighorn and Defiance Ruckus actions, mainly based on the fact I can't stand the look of a barrel nut.......but thats purely a cosmetic reason. We might as well include barrel nut options as well, as I know thats going open up a lot more options. The three that I'm most familiar with:

Keystone - GM prefits. Seems like a decent button barrel. I've tried one of these. Definately no Krieger or bartlein blank but it shot pretty well. Although that probably had more to do with the fact that he knows how to chamber an accurate barrel.

NSS/Criterion - Barrel Nut options only.

PVA - Rock Creek Button barrels. Slightly less expensive than the cut rifle options but limited calibers/twist last time I checked.

Anybody else??
Shaw barrels is gonna be the best bang for the buck in cheap barrels for $300

Like the sale that just started today...and the price to your door will be more like $400.
Hell of a deal right there if these are decent barrels. Prefit barrel with muzzle threads for $404.00. Their nut isn't obtrusive either on these

All the ones I would have mentioned already have been, only one I'm aware of that I didn't see is PVA.

PVA Rock Creek would be the best bang for the buck for a shouldered prefit IMHO.

You can get X-caliber barrels in the $500 range. Especially if you catch one of their many sales.
I've had good luck with their barrels just don't like the $30 shipping they charge for a single barrel.

Consider buying a good button rifled blank and having a smith chamber it. I have run a bunch of NSS Criterions. They are good. All were 1/2 moa capable with a little work. Had a few that would shoot less than that after load development and 2 that were sub 1/4 moa. I don't believe they indicate as carefully when chambering at Criterion.

I have had blanks chambered by a couple different really particular gunsmiths. The blanks have been 2 Hawk Hills, 1 Krieger, 3 Criterions, and 2 Bartleins. All have shot lights out with just about any random thing I loaded.

I almost refuse to shoot a blank that is not hand lapped. If I don't care if the groups hover between 1/2 and 3/4 moa for the life of the barrel, I will buy a barrel nut Criterion from NSS. If I want something that will shoot around 1/2 moa when it's shooting bad, I opt for a gunsmith chambered barrel.

When looking at prices and reputation, it would seem that Proof and PVA offer the best accuracy for the money. The other option is to get a cheaper blank like a Criterion or a Rock Creek button and find a good local smith that doesn't charge what the big names do. It used to be possible to get those blanks for around $250 and find a guy to do the work for around $300. If he is meticulous and knows what he is doing, it will shoot. The cost for the big names is for their name and the fact that they have proven to be consistently exceptional and stand behind their work and products.

I've got two GM barrels from keystone accuracy. They are hammers. The 224v took a bit of work but that seems like the norm for the caliber, now it's my most accurate rifle. The 6.5cm took almost no work to get it in the consistent 1/4-3/8" with the standard 140gr load and 4350. I'm trying some new stuff now that it's not liking so much but that's not the barrels fault I'm feeding it the odd ball stuff.

Plan for $500 TYD.

If they made longer blanks it'd be even better.