• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Budget(ish) illuminators?

Hollywood 6mm

Old Salt
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
Doing a little night hunting this week with a PVS-14 and an IR laser showed that I'm still pretty limited on range on nights where there's not a lot of moon and star light. I was out with a buddy that was running a thermal and a MAWL, so he was able to scan and locate possible targets, then use the MAWL to let me see them in the -14. I definitely can't swing MAWL level gear right now (and don't really need the lasers anyway), but I need to get an IR illuminator.

Goal is to allow positive target ID of coyotes, hogs, etc. out to at least 400 yards, with max engagement range being 200-300 yards. It'll be mounted to a pic rail on my AR. I've looked at TNVC, Streamlight, and Luna options in the $100-300 price range. Any suggestions?

I bough the Steiner SPIR's. Been extremely happy with them. Check around, my first one was retail (ish ), the second one was pretty nicely discounted as a dealer demo.

I bough the Steiner SPIR's. Been extremely happy with them. Check around, my first one was retail (ish ), the second one was pretty nicely discounted as a dealer demo.

It would have to be a significant discount to put it in my price range. If I am going to drop $700+ I will just save up a little more and get an ATPIAL-C or something.

I have a streamlight TLR/VIR and it definitely won’t do the distance your looking for. I had out a while back and was walking around with the 14s. If I can dig up the pics I will post them and tag you

Have you looked at old school like a good surefire with an IR filter?

448DE39C-30EA-4EE5-AAF2-CFB267F77883.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a streamlight TLR/VIR and it definitely won’t do the distance your looking for. I had out a while back and was walking around with the 14s. If I can dig up the pics I will post them and tag you

Have you looked at old school like a good surefire with an IR filter?

I haven't looked at anything like an incan Surefire. I honestly wouldn't expect them to give the reach I am looking for.

I actually have been looking at the VIR-II for a purely dedicated short range gun (9mm SBR) due to the small footprint.

I haven't looked at anything like an incan Surefire. I honestly wouldn't expect them to give the reach I am looking for.

I actually have been looking at the VIR-II for a purely dedicated short range gun (9mm SBR) due to the small footprint.
This is the gen1 I believe. I have had it forever but don’t use it anymore. I’m not able to sell on here yet or I’d offer it to you if interested. Been around here for 9 plus years just never really posted, always trolled for information and left. The old surefire lights are so so but probably not 400 yards for sure. The streamlight would make an outa T-shirt range light for a 9mm.

This is the gen1 I believe. I have had it forever but don’t use it anymore. I’m not able to sell on here yet or I’d offer it to you if interested. Been around here for 9 plus years just never really posted, always trolled for information and left. The old surefire lights are so so but probably not 400 yards for sure. The streamlight would make an outa T-shirt range light for a 9mm.

I'm specifically going with the VIR-II due to the lower profile - the laser is inside the front light bezel instead of mounted on the outside. I've got an SBR built off an MPA 30DMG Mac-10 type setup, so the light has to go on the top optic rail right in front of the red dot - hence the need for a lower profile.

I'm specifically going with the VIR-II due to the lower profile - the laser is inside the front light bezel instead of mounted on the outside. I've got an SBR built off an MPA 30DMG Mac-10 type setup, so the light has to go on the top optic rail right in front of the red dot - hence the need for a lower profile.
Ahhh got ya. Sounds like a fun toy. Good luck in your search for sure.

Optics Planet have the Armasight Extra Long-Range Multi Functional IR Illuminator/Flashlight for $65. It's not too hard to find a 10% off coupon as well.

I have the VIR-II it's a great all in one unit. I'm so happy with it I'm saving up for another one. The only downside is the IR illum is only for closer range stuff and the IR laser and IR illum operate together.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Optics Planet have the Armasight Extra Long-Range Multi Functional IR Illuminator/Flashlight for $65. It's not too hard to find a 10% off coupon as well.

Is it worth a crap? The price cut makes it look appealing for sure.

I bought one and returned it. The red glow was not workable for any type of hunting situation. I thought about trying to mod it in some way with filters, etc to help but decided it wasn’t worth it.

I bought one and returned it. The red glow was not workable for any type of hunting situation. I thought about trying to mod it in some way with filters, etc to help but decided it wasn’t worth it.

Was it just producing too much visible red, or what?

I just noticed OP has the RAPTAR Lite ES on sale for $750... now THAT is something I might be able to justify the added expense. I wish it was a green instead of red visible, but....

Worth it?

Interested in info and knowledge on this

Likewise, I have the smaller Armasight XLR illuminator that was part of my Clip On and I have never noticed any red glow from it.

I dunno about the red glow but as far as an illuminator they are tough to beat I think. Pic is of the armasight unit and a tnvc torch pro 2 o. The left. For a budget unit to illuminate targets to shoot at night it should work well. Distance, focus, and amount of light is good I feel. Tree line is about 500 yes. Taken through a pvs 14 to show how bright it is. Works well with a pvs 30

Attachments

• 20190924_231614(1).jpg
    20190924_231614(1).jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 134
I dunno about the red glow but as far as an illuminator they are tough to beat I think. Pic is of the armasight unit and a tnvc torch pro 2 o. The left. For a budget unit to illuminate targets to shoot at night it should work well. Distance, focus, and amount of light is good I feel. Tree line is about 500 yes. Taken through a pvs 14 to show how bright it is. Works well with a pvs 30

Damn, that's impressive. I ordered one - for $65 and free 2 day shipping it was hard to pass up.

I also had the Arma ir as it came with the unit I purchased way back when. It was bright but I did not care much for the activation dial, though they may have changed it as I am not current on those.

These days I mainly run with my Dipol (elir) as it is the lightest, smallest signature and really throws that beam. I do have a sniper hog light and that sucker is bright. They have the option to swap out the heads and I have a 38 and 50mm head. The 38 handheld for navigating and I use the 50 for static target shooting...the 50 will light up an entire field way out there...they also have a 66mm head as well. They are impressive little units.

Though these days I mainly use I2 for navigating and some range time with a 30, due to acquiring thermal sights.

Was it just producing too much visible red, or what?

I just noticed OP has the RAPTAR Lite ES on sale for $750... now THAT is something I might be able to justify the added expense. I wish it was a green instead of red visible, but....

Worth it?

Even if that RAPTAR Lite ES was $300, I still wouldn't buy it. It is going to run out of gas LONG before 400 yd. I have a Streamlight SuperTac IR that does really well but has too much spill for prone shooting if that matters to you. That Armasight illuminator on sale from OP is going to arrive at my door any minute now. Even if it doesn't work out, it's only ~$62 after coupon and tax. I have a feeling I will be happy with it for the money. Every now and then you see demo Steiner/LDI SPIRs for sale, those are supposedly incredible illuminators but I have never used one so can't comment from experience there. I have also owned the original "Da Torch," the Variable Torch, and Torch Pro illuminators but was largely disappointed by them (especially the Pro) when compared to the SuperTac IR as far as cost-effectiveness. The SuperTac IR really punches above its price point, you just can't adjust the focus of the beam.

Even if that RAPTAR Lite ES was $300, I still wouldn't buy it. It is going to run out of gas LONG before 400 yd. I have a Streamlight SuperTac IR that does really well but has too much spill for prone shooting if that matters to you. That Armasight illuminator on sale from OP is going to arrive at my door any minute now. Even if it doesn't work out, it's only ~$62 after coupon and tax. I have a feeling I will be happy with it for the money. Every now and then you see demo Steiner/LDI SPIRs for sale, those are supposedly incredible illuminators but I have never used one so can't comment from experience there. I have also owned the original "Da Torch," the Variable Torch, and Torch Pro illuminators but was largely disappointed by them (especially the Pro) when compared to the SuperTac IR as far as cost-effectiveness. The SuperTac IR really punches above its price point, you just can't adjust the focus of the beam.

Well, I bought a second FLIR/Armasiight MSI 8000 after checking out the one that came today. That IR illuminator really curb stomps the Streamlight SuperTac IR that I compared it against tonight, it was NOT close. At ~$62, it really is a screaming deal. The white light LED module that came with mine is non-functioning so I will reach out to FLIR about that tomorrow. That being said, the white LED was simply a bonus for me. For anyone wondering about it, the tube diameter in the middle where you can mount it is 25mm.

For $70 I am giving the Armasight a try.
I was also looking at the Nitecore CI7 that is "supposedly" more powerful at 940 nM and up to 2400 lumens white light but is twice the price.

On edit:
Does anyone have a handle on a weapon mount for this?

Last edited:
For $70 I am giving the Armasight a try.
I was also looking at the Nitecore CI7 that is "supposedly" more powerful at 940 nM and up to 2400 lumens white light but is twice the price.

On edit:

Interesting. The 940nm wavelength lights I have used were pretty underwhelming as far as effective range with US gen 3. That was a long time ago though, stuff has probably improved but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

On edit:
[/QUOTE]

Have always used Burris 1" sig. rings for x and y adjustment for illuminator body dia near 25mm and less.

Well, I bought a second FLIR/Armasiight MSI 8000 after checking out the one that came today. That IR illuminator really curb stomps the Streamlight SuperTac IR that I compared it against tonight, it was NOT close. At ~$62, it really is a screaming deal. The white light LED module that came with mine is non-functioning so I will reach out to FLIR about that tomorrow. That being said, the white LED was simply a bonus for me. For anyone wondering about it, the tube diameter in the middle where you can mount it is 25mm.

I got to use the FLIR/Armasight MSI 8000 with my KN203 tonight, it definitely throws some IR out there much further than what you pay for. It so thoroughly crushed my Streamlight SuperTac IR that I transferred that Gucci 1" QDish offset mount (~$4.80 from Amazon like five years ago) from the SuperTac to this thing. After a little bit of Gorilla tape to shim the beam to the center of my FOV, I got to looking around and playing with divergence and power adjustments. It is completely overcast here tonight so it was a good night for testing an illuminator. I was able to get good illumination out to at least 400 yd so far. As much as I would like to see tighter focus, I have to remind myself that this isn't a laser illuminator, I only paid $62 for it, and even if it did have tighter focus... it doesn't have elevation/windage adjustments that would allow me to put that tight beam where I want it. This is officially the first Armasight branded product that I have used and subsequently wanted to use again.
Also, the contrast from my KN203 is absolutely absurd even passive with no stars or moon. I can honestly say that I would part with my L3 super-tubed filmless WP PVS-14 before I would sell this SIMRAD.

I got to use the FLIR/Armasight MSI 8000 with my KN203 tonight, it definitely throws some IR out there much further than what you pay for. It so thoroughly crushed my Streamlight SuperTac IR that I transferred that Gucci 1" QDish offset mount (~$4.80 from Amazon like five years ago) from the SuperTac to this thing. After a little bit of Gorilla tape to shim the beam to the center of my FOV, I got to looking around and playing with divergence and power adjustments. It is completely overcast here tonight so it was a good night for testing an illuminator. I was able to get good illumination out to at least 400 yd so far. As much as I would like to see tighter focus, I have to remind myself that this isn't a laser illuminator, I only paid $62 for it, and even if it did have tighter focus... it doesn't have elevation/windage adjustments that would allow me to put that tight beam where I want it. This is officially the first Armasight branded product that I have used and subsequently wanted to use again.
Also, the contrast from my KN203 is absolutely absurd even passive with no stars or moon. I can honestly say that I would part with my L3 super-tubed filmless WP PVS-14 before I would sell this SIMRAD.

Good to hear. Sounds like the Armasight is just the ticket for what I was wanting. Mine should be here in the next couple days, and if it sucks it'll cost me $8 to send it back. I ordered a VTAC light mount for it to mount to my handguard, so hopefully it'll be close enough to POA without shimming, etc.

So far, the Armasight is a winner. I wish the difference in low, medium, and high was more noticeable, but on high with a big focus I was easily seeing detail on a building from 300y out. I modified a VTAC light mount to run it on my coyote gun, so it'll be interesting to see how it lines up.

My second one just came in tonight. The white light module on this one works... holy shit. At least 255 yd ACTUAL white light illumination NO PROBLEM. I will try farther next week, but wow. I just bought a third one, going to keep one ready for white light, one weapon light IR, and one handheld IR. I already talked about the IR illuminator performance earlier, but how good it is just can't be overstated... especially for the price. These would be incredible for twice the price. My wife even said holy shit to that white light performance, I don't know what else to say.

My second one just came in tonight. The white light module on this one works... holy shit. At least 255 yd ACTUAL white light illumination NO PROBLEM. I will try farther next week, but wow. I just bought a third one, going to keep one ready for white light, one weapon light IR, and one handheld IR. I already talked about the IR illuminator performance earlier, but how good it is just can't be overstated... especially for the price. These would be incredible for twice the price. My wife even said holy shit to that white light performance, I don't know what else to say.
Do you have a link for the one with the white light that you purchased?

How did you modify the mount to fit?
Pics?

I'll try to get pics later on, but I cut one outside ring completely off the VTAC mount and trimmed/sanded that area to allow clearance with the light body. If the mount was about 1/4" shorter, it would have cleared just fine, but it was hanging up on the shoulders around the straight section of the light body before trimming.

Do you have a link for the one with the white light that you purchased?

The one on OP comes with two LED modules - one IR one white. You just swap the front module out for the one you want.

So far, the sole complaints I have is it does take a second or two for the light to come up to power, and there's very little difference between low and medium power, and I can't see the difference in medium and high. I am also currently using a Streamlight 18650 battery with it, as I was waiting on the supplied one to charge up.

I hadn't checked price on them before reading this thread and finding them for $64. Were they $90 before the sale? Even at $90, that is a whole lot of bang for your buck. Nothing that I'm aware of comes close. My third one shipped today, I bought it last night apparently right before the price jump. There is absolutely a couple second delay between hitting the button and the light coming on, both of mine do it. I discovered my first one's white light is absolutely functional I just didn't know about the delay when I first tried it. I found the manual online and downloaded it but they are simple to operate. The lens cap doubles as a tool for loosening or tightening the LED module into the body, pretty slick.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a 18650 battery that does NOT have the flush positive terminal to see if they work with those as well? This is my first device type powered by this type of battery.

How large are these lights? I'm thinking about picking one up for a 300blk pistol but not if it's a huge beast of a light.

I hadn't checked price on them before reading..........

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a 18650 battery that does NOT have the flush positive terminal to see if they work with those as well? This is my first device type powered by this type of battery.

I used mine with an olight recharge. All my recharge 18650 have a protruded terminal, did not notice any degrade in performance...then again I didnt even open the wrapper on the included flush terminal battery.

This was years ago so unless something changed......hope this helps.

Reactions: cake5150
I picked up one of the Armasight IR illuminators and am happy with it. Looking for a good way to weapon mount it where it can be adjustable, looks to be 1" or 25mm body.

I picked up one of the Armasight IR illuminators and am happy with it. Looking for a good way to weapon mount it where it can be adjustable, looks to be 1" or 25mm body.

Heres my setup with the Burris 1" signature ring. When I had it weapon mounted I would use a 45° offset qd but here it is setup for target illumination with my Hog light which also has a t20 type 1" housing.

20191109_163831.jpg

20191109_163559.jpg

Adjustable on the x and y axis.

20191109_163637.jpg
20191109_163628.jpg

Reactions: Rangerbob33
Armasight is great for that price. Takes three seconds to spool up but sharp adjustable focus will switch from broad flood to tight spot

My third one just came in today, these were a steal at ~$62 after coupon. I may have to try those signature rings for use on the spotting scope. They won't be replacing my go-to Surefire weapon lights, but holy shit are these things powerful!