• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Budget scope for 700 SPS

MH64

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2007
DFW
So have a 700 SPS Tactical with a 20" that am wanting to use as a base to work and learn with.
Have a Nightforce 20 moa base and am looking for a good scope to go with this for long range shooting. Say in the 200-800yd range. I will have an opportunity next year to go to the Whittington Center so will take advantage of the long ranges there.

My budget for now is $350-450.

Am saving to get alot better down the road but would like to get something now to start with.

Suggestions?

Re: Budget scope for 700 SPS

Kind of in same position, building up my first long range precision rifle - a Rem. 700 SPS Tac. I bought a Vortex 5-15x44 scope from Midway (a Midway exclusive), shot the rig last week and was very pleased. It's a SFP scope with mil-dot reticle, adj. parallax, matching zero stop mil. turrets, 30mm main tube. Only complaint so far was a stiff power ring. It's a bit above your range at $499, but not too much of a stretch.

Anything "SWFA Super Sniper or SS" that will fit your budget. Midway also has a 5-15 vortex viper mil/mil that’s exclusive to them and it is good (I don’t say that lightly, I have four of them) heard good things about the Bushnell 10x40 but no first hand experience.

While old school (moa/mil), Nikon Tactical's in the 2.5-10x are great and can be found used around 450.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything "SWFA Super Sniper or SS" that will fit your budget. Midway also has a 5-15 vortex viper mil/mil that’s exclusive to them and it is good (I don’t say that lightly, I have four of them) heard good things about the Bushnell 10x40 but no first hand experience.

While old school (moa/mil), Nikon Tactical's in the 2.5-10x are great and can be found used around 450.
</div></div>

+1 for the SS scope.......

Aron-

What are the pros and cons to fixed power vs variable if any shooting 200yds and out?

Grew up shooting with my dad and our bolt guns usually had 3-9 power scopes. Thing is dont remember ever using anything other than 9 power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the midway special vortex and a swfa ss, both great scopes for the price IMO
</div></div>

Which SS scope do you have?
Would you recommend one over the other?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With your price point I would recommend a 10x super sniper or a 2.5-10x44 Vortex Viper. </div></div>

What advantages do I have with going with the 2.5-10 power over the fixed 10 power?
Do not see myself shooting less than 100yds.

Tag..

I'm currently in the same boat. Just picked up a 700 SPS Varmint and I'm looking for a decent scope.

I've been looking at the SWFA 10X, but I'd like to be able to plink from around 50 to 200 yards. I think the fixed 10X will be too much for getting into 50 yards..

Watch the used stuff on here. Every now and then you come across something. Just saw a signature Burris 6-24 go in your price range.

I just got the Konus M30 8.5-32 x 52. It has good glass and is sharp up to 28x - indexed at 12x.

It has illuminated mil dot reticle and .1 mil adjustments and sunshade. Price-wise -$350

This might fit your program.

After lots of research and forum searching for similar requirements, I just ordered a fixed SS 16x42 from SWFA. SS scopes seem to get universally positive comments from everyone that has one.

I went with fixed focal because I mostly just shoot targets, and in the 200-600yrd range. (Paper and steel targets tend to move real slow, so I don't need to zoom in or out find them LOL). That allowed for a much lower price while maintaining good quality.

I waffled about whether to go with 10x, 12x, or 16x since 10 would probably suffice for my purposes. But since I'm used to a 20x and my eyes are over 40yrs old, I gambled on the 16x. Worst that could happen is that I end up getting a lower power version as well and own an additional scope. That ain't never a bad thing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 223hpbt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After lots of research and forum searching for similar requirements, I just ordered a fixed SS 16x42 from SWFA. SS scopes seem to get universally positive comments from everyone that has one.

I went with fixed focal because I mostly just shoot targets, and in the 200-600yrd range. (Paper and steel targets tend to move real slow, so I don't need to zoom in or out find them LOL). That allowed for a much lower price while maintaining good quality.

I waffled about whether to go with 10x, 12x, or 16x since 10 would probably suffice for my purposes. But since I'm used to a 20x and my eyes are over 40yrs old, I gambled on the 16x. Worst that could happen is that I end up getting a lower power version as well and own an additional scope. That ain't never a bad thing! </div></div>

Think I've settled on the SS. But am kinda stuck on which power to go with. Am leaning towards the 12x MRAD as the 10x is not much different from the 3-9x scope I've used and the 16x seems alot more than what I'm used too.
Figure the 12x would be a good middle of the road to start.

Since you are in the DFW area, take a trip down I-35E to Red Oak. You can get your hands on each of them and make an informed decision.

I would personally recommend that you go with the 16X. You can still hunt with it if you choose.

DK

If you happen to decide to go the Vortex route, give Mike @ CSTactical a shout. He is great to deal with!!

DK

Yea, I usually pick them up myself. Faster and cheaper than having them shipped.

Faster yes, but Mike ships Vortex stuff for free!! Just an FYI...

DK

Nikon stuff fits that budget nicely...

Mil or moa?

So if 1/4 moa is .25" and .1 mil is .36", does it make that much difference starting out?
Or just go with mil?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MH64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mil or moa?

So if 1/4 moa is .25" and .1 mil is .36", does it make that much difference starting out?
Or just go with mil? </div></div>

the amount of adjustment actually made has nothing to do with choosing mil/mil..

the Mil reticle does, life is easier if your reticle and adjustments are both in the same unit of measure

Right in your price range and with a Mildot Reticle is
Nikon's Buckmaster in 4.5-14 x 40 Mildot with side focus parallax adjustment.
I think this scope woould serve you well and the Mildot will come in handy for your long range shooting excurscion.

In that price range I don't see how the Midway exclusive Weaver or Vortex can be beat. The Vortex is listed at $499.99 but the code 30101212 will get it down to $469.99 shipped.

I have two SWFA SS scopes, one 10x42 and a 12x42 and love them both. Can't wait for tax returns so I can grab up a 5-20x50 SS. SWFA = GTG

Insted of starting a new thread,,,,,,,,,I have a question relating to a 700 and a scope. I just picked up a 700 Tactical AAC SD and a Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 and would like input on the rail needed. i will be shooting mainly 200 yards and rarely out to 600 (not many long range opportunities here on Long Island) Do I get a flat rail or a 20 MOA slope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a 700 Tactical AAC SD and a Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 and would like input on the rail needed. i will be shooting mainly 200 yards and rarely out to 600 (not many long range opportunities here on Long Island) Do I get a flat rail or a 20 MOA slope? </div></div>

I would get a flat rail (0 MOA) for that application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Insted of starting a new thread,,,,,,,,,I have a question relating to a 700 and a scope. I just picked up a 700 Tactical AAC SD and a Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 and would like input on the rail needed. i will be shooting mainly 200 yards and rarely out to 600 (not many long range opportunities here on Long Island) Do I get a flat rail or a 20 MOA slope? </div></div>

i read on one of the scope sites that the 20 MOA is for shooting beyond 600yrds. good luck on your build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Insted of starting a new thread,,,,,,,,,I have a question relating to a 700 and a scope. I just picked up a 700 Tactical AAC SD and a Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 and would like input on the rail needed. i will be shooting mainly 200 yards and rarely out to 600 (not many long range opportunities here on Long Island) Do I get a flat rail or a 20 MOA slope? </div></div>

Personally I would go 20 Moa just because it isn't going to cost you more and if you ever got the opportunity to stretch it out further you have the capability. Just my opinion.

Agree with Sheepdog762. 20 MOA rail will give you more flexibility in the future, if you have the opportunity to shoot 1000 yds. Most of over time want to stretch out our rifles. I have that exact scope and loved it except for no zero stop. You should really enjoy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHEEPDOG762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Insted of starting a new thread,,,,,,,,,I have a question relating to a 700 and a scope. I just picked up a 700 Tactical AAC SD and a Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 and would like input on the rail needed. i will be shooting mainly 200 yards and rarely out to 600 (not many long range opportunities here on Long Island) Do I get a flat rail or a 20 MOA slope? </div></div>

Personally I would go 20 Moa just because it isn't going to cost you more and if you ever got the opportunity to stretch it out further you have the capability. Just my opinion. </div></div>

that is what I did...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^ The above or the good ol' Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Tactical midway exclusive. Those go on sale every other month or so for $299.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/...t-reticle-matte </div></div>

The Weaver looks to be on sale again right now. I grew quite fond of mine, and am only switching out from it because I went to a S&B (which is obviously a different class of scope).

Another option for the OP would be the good ol' Bushnell 10X40 fixed power scope with the mil reticle/mil turrets. My buddy used one of those on his SPS for about a year and a half until he went to an HDMR. I also know some people who seem happy with the Vortex Viper PST scopes, but that seems to vary based on who you ask.

Most guys seem to like the 20 moa bases. For what you're talking about doing you won't need one. You will need one (potentially) if you decide to shoot further distances in the future. I ran a flat picatinny rail on my Tikka for the last couple of years, simply because it came with the gun, and I didn't need to buy anything else.

With my 1-inch tube Weaver scope (which lacks the internal adjustment range of scopes with 30 and 34mm tubes) I can still dial up 8.3 Mils from my 100-yard zero, which will take me to 800 yards without any problem. Granted, like the others have said, a 20 MOA base will allow you to get beyond 1,000 yards, but if you know you won't have the opportunity to shoot at that distance, it really doesn't matter.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Redfield for you intended purposes.

My local range only goes to 300 yards so I shoot mostly to 300 yards. However, I do stretch it out further on occasion and now I'm going to start shooting at 1000 yards since there's a range not far from my in-laws. For the reasons listed above, I chose a 20MOA base. I'd recommend you do the same.

OK so my budget scope turned into a Vortex 4-16x50 ffp mrad.
Got a great deal on a new one and just couldnt pass it up.

Congrats and nice choice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MH64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mil or moa?

Or just go with mil? </div></div>

Stop thinking in linear measurements. MOA and milrad are both angular measurements. That is the best way to use them.