• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Budget scope... For a kid?

Mike_P

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2013
    Lacey, WA
    I know the word budget gets thrown around a lot with new members. Especially when it comes to putting together long range rigs for their first time. I've done the searching and the reading and I'm coming to the hide for help as I'm stuck. I have no problem using the buy once, cry once philosophy with my own rifles, but this situation is a bit different.

My girlfriends 9 year old daughter loves her AR. However, she wants to learn to shoot further than 50/100 yards with an aimpoint. She's wanting to switch to a scope and step out to precision shooting at 300 yards for now. Once she learns that, maybe further. With that said, I'm thinking since it's a child's rifle, and she may decide in the future that it's just not for her (You know kids. And females...) that it might be best NOT to go blow a thousand dollars on something for her. She originally learned to shoot on a fixed 3x scoped 10/22 and has jumped behind my .308 Rem700 with a variable scope. She has no preference between the two.

If you had to outfit a kids rifle, where would you start? I'm thinking sub $300 in case she were to accidentally destroy it. I've looked at SWFA SS fixed output, Weaver Tactical 3-10 at Midway, and a few others.

Are these too much scope for a 9 year old? lol Any suggestions you guys might have for a kid? Let's definitely stick with mil/mil and what not. :cool:

I know the word budget gets thrown around a lot with new members. Especially when it comes to putting together long range rigs for their first time. I've done the searching and the reading and I'm coming to the hide for help as I'm stuck. I have no problem using the buy once, cry once philosophy with my own rifles, but this situation is a bit different.

My girlfriends 9 year old daughter loves her AR. However, she wants to learn to shoot further than 50/100 yards with an aimpoint. She's wanting to switch to a scope and step out to precision shooting at 300 yards for now. Once she learns that, maybe further. With that said, I'm thinking since it's a child's rifle, and she may decide in the future that it's just not for her (You know kids. And females...) that it might be best NOT to go blow a thousand dollars on something for her. She originally learned to shoot on a fixed 3x scoped 10/22 and has jumped behind my .308 Rem700 with a variable scope. She has no preference between the two.

If you had to outfit a kids rifle, where would you start? I'm thinking sub $300 in case she were to accidentally destroy it. I've looked at SWFA SS fixed output, Weaver Tactical 3-10 at Midway, and a few others.

Are these too much scope for a 9 year old? lol Any suggestions you guys might have for a kid? Let's definitely stick with mil/mil and what not. :cool:

I have a son with a medical eye condition that he was born with, on his gun he uses a 3-9X40 Leupold scope VX2, I don't know how much this scope is in USA. He loves it.

I have a son with a medical eye condition that he was born with, on his gun he uses a 3-9X40 Leupold scope VX2, I don't know how much this scope is in USA. He loves it.

Thanks scrub, I'll take a look at it.

42769, obviously. In this case I'm putting a price cap on it as it has to be an optic that can be trusted and do the job well for a young beginner, yet, it wont break the bank since there's always a risk when a kid uses things. So I figured I'd ask for help. See what others recommended given the circumstances.

When someone says budget I always show them this UTG for 100 bucks, great scope for the price point. 120mins of travel, gobs of eye relief, Ill. reticle, I was very impressed with it when I got it.
    nUNOZjv.jpg

I've purchased two Leapers from Optics Planet now. I gotta say, for $100 range, it rocks. Came with rings and scope caps. The point of impact doesn't move around. I use one on a Colt flat top HBAR and one on a Springfield Armory SAR-8 .308 semi auto. I bought them for my kids and figured, "good enough" until they break. The quality is far better than I expected and they show no signs of breaking. I'm very impressed by them. I think you will be too.

$77 at Optics Planet, Bug Buster
    hu2hdf.jpg

$114 at Optics Planet, 3-9
    4j27t0.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll definitely consider the Leapers as well. How's their warranty?

if you'd get a SWFA SS, get the 10x and mil/mil, matching ret/turrets helps learning adjustment, tracks well, nice heavy duty feeling scope for the price. It's a scope that keeps it's Value as well so you can turn around and sell them for near the new price if she gets more into it and decide to upgrade.

if you'd get a SWFA SS, get the 10x and mil/mil, matching ret/turrets helps learning adjustment, tracks well, nice heavy duty feeling scope for the price. It's a scope that keeps it's Value as well so you can turn around and sell them for near the new price if she gets more into it and decide to upgrade.

I've got a line on a nib 12x mil/mil for $250 shipped. Thinking I might go that route based on price, but I'm still examining some other options if we were to go variable.

I've got a line on a nib 12x mil/mil for $250 shipped. Thinking I might go that route based on price, but I'm still examining some other options if we were to go variable.

Nice deal right there, the closer you get to 10x though you get less whitewash in really sunny situations, when shooting at an uphill plane with the sun somewhere in front me (rather than it being to my back) my 16x gets a bit of whitewash

Having three daughters that shoot, make sure the eye relief is generous and keep it simple. Girls at that age have a good attention to detail, but that attention is very short lived. She will be playin with bugs on the ground if things get over complicated.

I started my daughters at 10 with irons, then peep, dot, then a simple duplex. Now that my youngest are 14 they can handle about anything, but still do better with a simple target reticle (crosshairs with circle)

If you are looking for something with drops and windage, I would recommend the Redfield Revolution Tac, its basically a Redfield version of the Mark AR. Moa/moa. Made in USA, same Leupold warranty. The Revolution is about VX2 glass quality.

Thanks all. I went ahead with the SWFA SS 12x mil/mil. I figure for $250 shipped brand new in box it's the best option.

Roggom, I figured the fixed magnification would help the short attention span thing a bit. The less she has to mess with the better.

I looked at so many options between Nikon, SWFA, Redfield, Leapers, Bushnell, etc... With the warranty and price, as well as the ability to resell if she decides it's not what she wants, I think the SWFA was the best. Though I do need to think about mounting options now. Leaning towards the Aero Precision extended ultralight mount. Anyone have any experiences with these? I typically run with Larue mounts, but the Aero is a bit cheaper and much lighter, which again, for a kid, is probably something more important than the option to remove the scope quickly.

Chances are if she does decide against this scope, I would probably just keep it and put it on another rig.

I've purchased two Leapers from Optics Planet now. I gotta say, for $100 range, it rocks. Came with rings and scope caps. The point of impact doesn't move around. I use one on a Colt flat top HBAR and one on a Springfield Armory SAR-8 .308 semi auto. I bought them for my kids and figured, "good enough" until they break. The quality is far better than I expected and they show no signs of breaking. I'm very impressed by them. I think you will be too.

$77 at Optics Planet, Bug Buster
    http://i58.tinypic.com/hu2hdf.jpg

You sir, just cost me $91 :eek:

I HATE peep sights (which is what's on my AR now), and have been looking at something for it. My buddy just got a Sightmark red dot...and it's working very well on his Mini-14 so far. Not bad at all for the $80 he paid.