• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Budget Surplus K98 Build

Re: surplus K98 build

i just got in a box full of parts/tools from miday usa. i now have the equipment for glass bedding the action, converting the bottom metal to M14 mag feed, rethreading the reciever, lapping the recoil lugs and to paint. also i picked up some sling swivels, a dremel tool kit, a new shroud and some silver solder and flux.
price so far:
$40 for stock refinish
$153 for trigger, ferrules, bolt handle and Tix
$317 for items above
Total $510 minus orignal rifle

still waiting for the gunsmith to give me my rifle. i dont even want the drill and tap done i just need it back and he still wont give it back. its working on its 2nd month there. nobody ever go to williams shooter service in ventura.

anyone ever done a 3 position safety instal on one of these. I have 2 mauser projects sitting around right now (FN military for a .458 win mag, and a CZ brno commercial for an ultralight 30-06) and a US1917 for a .375 H&H. I have been wanting a win type safety on atleast one of them. cant find anything about installing one though. all the gunsmiths want like $200 plus the safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nickdahick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone ever done a 3 position safety instal on one of these. I have 2 mauser projects sitting around right now (FN military for a .458 win mag, and a CZ brno commercial for an ultralight 30-06) and a US1917 for a .375 H&H. I have been wanting a win type safety on atleast one of them. cant find anything about installing one though. all the gunsmiths want like $200 plus the safety. </div></div>
ive looked into that also. I cant find any videos or anything but ive read that it involves drillin on the bolt shroud. i cant remember exactly where i read it but im pretty sure Brownells had somethin on one of the product pages.

How are E.R. Shaw barrels? better than what ive heard of Adams and Bennett (ive heard as low as .3 moa)? they are the lowest cost prethreaded barrels i can find. if anyone knows any good deals on mauser threaded barrels in .308 win let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nickdahick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone ever done a 3 position safety instal on one of these. I have 2 mauser projects sitting around right now (FN military for a .458 win mag, and a CZ brno commercial for an ultralight 30-06) and a US1917 for a .375 H&H. I have been wanting a win type safety on atleast one of them. cant find anything about installing one though. all the gunsmiths want like $200 plus the safety. </div></div>

I've not done one of the 3 position installs (though I have fitted a Recknagel shroud with safety), but I have done a number of the 2 position installs on both Springfields and Mausers. It requires extensive machining of the shroud, and in the case of the springfield, silver soldering a half-plug into the plunger tube up top. It's quite a bit of time to get even the 2 positions operating to a level of smoothness that's accetpable for a customer, which is why most gunsmiths charge so much.

For the Mauser safeties I usually install a Chapman, and I have used both Wisner's and Chapman for the 03s.

Here's a shot of one of my safety installs from the rear; it should give you an idea of what's involved in machining the shroud.

safety.jpg

you guys all have made some really great projects out of your mausers, i want to do that too badly, really impressive

i happen to have a yugo m52/vz24 mauser (formerly a tschech mauser)
with a somewhat scared barrel, schoots ok as far as i can tell with irons

i would really love to start off with scoping it, my questions is what picatinny bases are best used for mausers

check out midway usa. they sell all kinds of them. most bases require that you file down the stripper clip boss. B-square makes one that you dont have to. i dont know how good of a rep B-square has. EGW is a picatinny on midway. im pretty sure you have to file down the boss on that one

im thinking about getting a shilen barrel from brownells. ive heard nothing but good about shilen and figure the barrel isnt a place to go cheap on. they only have a few contours to choose from and im trying to decide between #7 and #5 any input?

how much are yall paying for the barreled actions?

I am paying about 120 for barreled actions out of the pawn shops right now. most are in sporter stocks and have been rechambered in 30-06.

sorry, not trying to hyjack the thread, but everyone is already looking into this one.

reference the 3 position safety:

Anyone ever installed one of the dakota or PTG 3 position safeties? they are the ones that are a complete shroud replacement. I am having a hell of a time finding info out about installing one.

I would think that on the Dakota or the PTG 3 position safeties, that there isn't much to the install. I'm only guessing on this, but likely a notch required on the firing pin? I've always wanted to use one of them, but never wanted to spend too much money on Mauser builds so always used triggers with the safety built into them.

Heres my Mauser. we affectionately call it Frankenstein because its a coble of parts. But man it shoots! VZ-24 action, A&B barrel and a homemade scope mount.
009.jpg

008.jpg

001-1.jpg

Hi all
In Israel the Mauser action is the most common in use for building precision and match rifles
Because it is the most available here we usually rebarrel the action
With IMI 03 Browning MG chrome lined surplus barrels and put some
Kind of aftermarket trigger then we glassbed the action and usually they
Turn out to be about 0.5 to 1 MOA rifles.
Check the link here it's for an article published by one of our club members that upgraded his stock Mauser rifle it is nothing fancy but it works.
you can also browse the English pages and learn about our new association:
Here

just got the rifle back after about 2 1/2 months in the shop. he didnt even bother to wipe off the cutting oil. I just put on the new bolt handle and new bolt shroud the other day. i finished inletting the stock for the new timney featherweight trigger today. i think i went abit over board with the dremel tool tho
eek.gif
. ill just have to find a way to fill in the gaps with the glass bedding. i sanded down a couple pits and tried to solder some of them but for whatever reson the solder doesnt want to stick to the old mauser. ill post some pictures tomorrow.

1903TurkBoltsaftercleaningmidhandle.jpg

pic of TIG welded 1903 Turk Mauser bolts coming out of my bolt handle polishing fixture.

I have been sporterizing various Mausers for a while, but I repeatedly bought a quantities of 1903 Turkish Mausers [Oberndorf Germany 1903-1905] and VZ24 Mausers [Czechoslovakia from 1924 to 1942].

It is easy to buy zillions of Mausers and take them apart.
It is harder to complete Mauser projects.
In the last 11 years my brother has rebarreled 10 Mausers while I have rebarrelled 13 Mausers.

What are some options to mount a scope on my russian capture K98k?

Also what are some options for reasonably priced ammo that is not surplus corrosive?

Lola- before you touch that captured 98k you want to make sure you're not "bubba 'smithing" a valuable piece.

A good condition Russian captured Mauser that has soviet markings on it as well is worth more than a run of the mill turk action.

As far as non corrosive ammo, Wolf makes some, but I just reload for the mausers.

i agree with Bohem on both positions. if you dont have a real valuable rifle or you just dont care midway has some bases you can drill and tap on (they are made for the 98 so i had to grind down a bit of one of the corners). you can get a side mounted scope but they are typically abit more expensive. if your not going to change the barrel and dont mind a long eye-relief scope or red-dot you can buy a mount that replaces the rear sight.

as far as ammo goes i havent bought any 8mm (im assuming that the russians kept the original barrel unlike the israelis) but ive bought a lot of .308 from wolf and its great for plinking. you can get it for well under $10 a box. Cheaper than Dirt sells brown bear and silver bear ammo also for under 10 (again its in .308 and i dont know if they sell 8mm). if im not mistaken im pretty sure i saw winchester 8mm.

+1 again on the boltman, my m48 is wearing some of his work, and i traded an M/N 7.62x54r that i biult into foe-sniper... after enemy at the gates came out my buddy traded me WAY too much to pass on.... but the bolt are great...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lola- before you touch that captured 98k you want to make sure you're not "bubba 'smithing" a valuable piece.

A good condition Russian captured Mauser that has soviet markings on it as well is worth more than a run of the mill turk action.

As far as non corrosive ammo, Wolf makes some, but I just reload for the mausers. </div></div>

It was sold to me as a "Russian Capture"
The only Russian markings on it are the new serial numbers etched in a couple different areas on the rifle.
It still has really really nice German Nazi markings on it.

The barrel looks to of been replaced.

Oh and I can't seem to find that 8mm wolf ammo anywhere?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lola85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lola- before you touch that captured 98k you want to make sure you're not "bubba 'smithing" a valuable piece.

As far as non corrosive ammo, Wolf makes some, but I just reload for the mausers. </div></div>

The only Russian markings on it are the new serial numbers etched in a couple different areas on the rifle.

Oh and I can't seem to find that 8mm wolf ammo anywhere? </div></div>

Sounds like a very nice rifle that you probably don't want to touch. I have an arsenal refinished VZ24 that needs a new home, looks nice, shoots well, and would make a very nice donor action.

Do you reload? I'm getting out of 8x57 altogether, I'll make you a deal on components and 8x57 dies, including a neck and full length sizer.

When you put good ammo through them, a lot of those old "junk" mausers will shoot surprisingly well. Shoot me a PM if you have any interest in the stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lola85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lola- before you touch that captured 98k you want to make sure you're not "bubba 'smithing" a valuable piece.

Oh and I can't seem to find that 8mm wolf ammo anywhere? </div></div>

Sounds like a very nice rifle that you probably don't want to touch. I have an arsenal refinished VZ24 that needs a new home, looks nice, shoots well, and would make a very nice donor action.

Do you reload? I'm getting out of 8x57 altogether, I'll make you a deal on components and 8x57 dies, including a neck and full length sizer.

When you put good ammo through them, a lot of those old "junk" mausers will shoot surprisingly well. Shoot me a PM if you have any interest in the stuff. </div></div>

I really didn't think it was anything crazy nice of a rifle. I've been shooting cheap military surplus rounds through it and just give it a good bore clean after every time I shoot it. Its hard to justify paying $1+ a round when I can get .20cent rounds. I mean the rifle was only a couple hundred bucks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lola85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I really didn't think it was anything crazy nice of a rifle. I've been shooting cheap military surplus rounds through it and just give it a good bore clean after every time I shoot it. Its hard to justify paying $1+ a round when I can get .20cent rounds. I mean the rifle was only a couple hundred bucks... </div></div>

Put a couple pictures up of it, it doesn't sound like something you want to change. If you're looking for a good project, I have the perfect VZ24 action for you.

A project gun sells for $175-$200 (tops) on GunBroker.

If you're shooting surplus ammo you're probably shooting stuff that's corrosive once in a while. Make sure you get some ammonia down that bore (windex down the breach does it well) so that any lingering salts from the primers are neutralized.

the 1909 Argentine mausers were great designs, but they used too soft of a steel. The back of the bolt lugs actually start to embed in the receiver from the backpressure. Eventually, you will not be able to lift the bolt handle. Not surprised to hear that yours locked up under mag pressures. I had a couple I was going to build on but after hearing all the lug setback stories, I sold them off. You can't go wrong with a VZ 24 or early model M98; people have built 458 win mags on them with no problems.....

Here is a link to some pretty sool detachable mags for mausers. they arent to musch more expensive than m14 mags and you dont have to mess around with your bottom metal. to bad they dont make one that has a bit more capacity. ild be willin to mess around with it a bit and see if i can some how make one hold ten.

3152900.jpg

15cem48.jpg

Thats just a temporary scope its my dads old bushnell.
hre99f.jpg

the new bolt shroud
w1qq9k.jpg

New bolt handle
2pot9o6.jpg

polished bolt race ways

It's certainly coming along.

Have you decided how you're going to refinish the metal?

If you're going to blue it, I'd suggest you start with 400 grit wet sandpaper and a vibratory sander. When you get to 1000 grit wet and it's coming off smooth, no high spots, then it's time to go to the cotton buffing wheel. A good dose of coarse rouge, then a couple doses of fine rouge and it will look like a mirror. (You need two wheels, the coarse rouge will still be in the wheel if you just switch to fine rouge and you won't get any benefit from the fine rouge).

i plan to get the reciever refinished. i want to get it bead blasted if i can find a place to get it done cheap. im going to get a new "in-the-white" barrel so i dont have to worry much about that. i have some ceramicoat paint from wheeler i plan to use. ive heard a lot of good about it.
the only thing im concerned about is the bolt. i want to paint that but im worried about the tight clearances. any advice about finishing it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: youngsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i plan to get the reciever refinished. i want to get it bead blasted if i can find a place to get it done cheap. im going to get a new "in-the-white" barrel so i dont have to worry much about that. i have some ceramicoat paint from wheeler i plan to use. ive heard a lot of good about it.
the only thing im concerned about is the bolt. i want to paint that but im worried about the tight clearances. any advice about finishing it? </div></div>

I just discussed all of this with one of my friends. I chambered a 6.5-06 for him last month and he's doing the cosmetics work himself.

I'm sure he'll tell you all about the surfaces in the bolt that you don't want to get paint on... he learned the hard way.

Shoot him a PM ply1951guy

Bead blasting is cheap. Most machine shops will do it easy enough. Instead of taking it to a place that specializes in blasting, you should tape up the surfaces that must not get blasted (lugs, raceways, etc) and walk in with a $20 bill. I bet that you'd have a blasted part in under a half hour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boogyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres my Mauser. we affectionately call it Frankenstein because its a coble of parts...homemade scope mount. </div></div>

Could you list the parts used?
What stock?
What paint?
Did you make a drawing for the scope mount?

Here's a surplus Mauser I have as a project in school.
When we got these they were covered in rust, dirt, and in their military stocks.

Here it is after cleaning it up. It's in my hand made English Walnut stock. In this pic, its almost dont being shaped and soon to be finished.
photo22.jpg

Here are pics of it being finished with Pilkington stock finish
photo2.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo12.jpg

Second stock I've ever made. Probably the last. The wood was $280, and the hardware was around $100. Finish is about $30. So around $400 in materials, and HOURS upon HOURS or work.
Not my cup-o-tea

Impressive work guys !!
Get those oldies back to life ...

Cant wait to see the finished result YoungSmith !!

Hey yall!Youngsmith you are doing a good job there!You've just stepped into something you'll get addicted to.I love Mausers!You can do sooo much with them and spend as much or as little as you want.I'll try to post some pics of a series of Mausers that I built using Israeli Browning Machinegun barrels as mentioned by another poster.I built aluminum chassis stocks for them and in the hands of a SWAT friend have outshot almost every highend rifle they've been compared to.If you don't count the time involved they averaged about $350 each.You can build almost anything with a Mauser!Good luck with your project.

hey everyone. sorry this is taking so long. ive hit a kind of economic barrier. at this point all i need left is a new stock (ive decided the current milsurp stock most likely wont work very well for my project it has numerous splits and is in pretty rough shape) a barrel (ill probably end up with the A&B barrels from midway) and an optic. i need about another $500 to get all that. i guess i need to start looking around for a job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sailormilan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you are in So Cal, why don't you go to Richards Microfit and picout a stock? They are pretty reasonable. rifle-stocks.com

You just missed a Boyds sale on finished stocks and Bold triggers. but they have some others on sale you can use.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/BOYDS-CrAzY-dEaLs-s/84.htm </div></div>

i was actually looking at some of the microfit stocks. i was thinking about getting the "tactical" style stock from thier website. my only concern is the weight of the stock but i guess it would balance out the barrel.

Go to their shop/store, and browse through the stocks. They will let you do that. 3 months ago, myself and two buddies spent about 2 hours going through their stocks. He finally bought one, I didn't find any I could live without. I am being very picky about a stock for my new 300 Win Mag.
What caliber A&B barrel are you looking for?

i want to get a .308 barrel. ild prefer the f54 contour but it doesnt matter a whole lot.

will hopefully have enough money to buy the barrel soon. im gonna have to buy a new truck pretty soon so ill have to see after thats all takwn care of.

was goin to have to scrap this project but i saw the light. im just goin to turn this one into a .30-06 hunting/just for fun rifle and save the precision rifle project for later on and just buy a remington 700 for that. anyways i plan pn getting a new stock a finishing it up all pretty.

should i go with .30-06? i figure its cheap and easy to come buy and has pretty good ballistics. i have five other options though: .35 whelen, .300 mag., .338-06, .338 win. mag. or .458 win. mag. im looking for something a bit larger in size able to take a moose and bear. i want it to be a bit cheaper though (atleast be able to reload fairly cheaply, the bottom preice on .458 i figure is about 1.75 a shell and i can get .30-06 for about .50) any input would be very helpful!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: youngsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">should i go with .30-06? i figure its cheap and easy to come buy and has pretty good ballistics. i have five other options though: .35 whelen, .300 mag., .338-06, .338 win. mag. or .458 win. mag. im looking for something a bit larger in size able to take a moose and bear. i want it to be a bit cheaper though (atleast be able to reload fairly cheaply, the bottom preice on .458 i figure is about 1.75 a shell and i can get .30-06 for about .50) any input would be very helpful! </div></div>

My 1st semester Mauser is re-barreled in .30-06. I chose that for the easiest ammo availability, wide selection of projectiles if I decide to re-load for it, I have other rifles in that caliber, etc.

(.30-06 AI is another option)

One of the guys in class re-barreled his in some large magnum caliber (started with a .4 but I forget exactly the cartridge). Only three of the things fit in the box.

He spent days just getting it to feed at all. Doesn't feed that nice, just works.
Further feeding work to come next semester.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Second stock I've ever made. Probably the last. The wood was $280, and the hardware was around $100. Finish is about $30. So around $400 in materials, <span style="font-weight: bold">and HOURS upon HOURS of work.</span>
Not my cup-o-tea</div></div>
I can certainly vouch for that!
eek.gif

Keith's stock came out real nice though.

bump

338-06 is an oddly attractive cartridge to me. I don't quite know what it is about it but it certainly does appeal to me strongly. I would say it's an awsome game cartridge for a mauser build like yours.

Mark Housel, PM inbound...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to check out some of the stuff on this page.

http://www.gswagner.com/ </div></div>

Wagner's site is a great asset to me.
The part about how to install an M70 safety on a 98 Mauser is in the "Sporterizing an M96" section.