• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Budget Surplus K98 Build

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
April of last year my Dad bought me an isreali K98 for my birthday.it was definitly a junker. heavy with deep pits and smeared with thick dirty grease i knew i had what i was looking for, a project rifle. after two days of cleaning off all the grease and some light rust i saw the rifle for the "first" time. it was perfect for my purposes. since then ive mustered up only enough money for a scope base, a birchwood casey stock refinishing kit, a rotary tool, a limbsaver recoil pad and a book on gunsmithing. i cut down the stock and and cut off the old metal buttplate with a hack saw. from there i stripped the old oil from the stock using an oven cleaner and steel wool. i sanded down the stock to 300 grit then fit the recoil pad (a very very messy procedure) i then refinished the stock and added sling studs from an old stock i cannabalized. After that i ground down the "ridge" used to hold the wood in place. i polished the bolt just to get some practice(I plan to paint the whole thing later). Then I polished the bolt raceways using an eraser wrapped in sand paper and a bit of WD-40. lastly I sanded the sides of the trigger guard down to make them square and I also removed the rest of the pits on the guard by simply sanding. I just sent it to the gunsmith today to get it drilled and tapped. I wouldve done it myself if the jigs weren't so expensive. I will get some pictures up once I get the rifle back in a few days. As u read along keep in mind that I am still a young student and this is a very tight budget job so it'll rake me a while and I won't exactly have premium parts. Thanks for reading and I hope you'll stick along for the ride.

Re: surplus K98 build

keep going, I love to hear about old mausers coming together.

I did a k98 rebuild for fun a few years back. They were on sale at a local shop for $60-ish and after tooling around with it and drilling and taping the receiver for a base I finished it shot it and forgot about it. It's just an old piece of shit, fun project but ultimately its junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a k98 rebuild for fun a few years back. They were on sale at a local shop for $60-ish and after tooling around with it and drilling and taping the receiver for a base I finished it shot it and forgot about it. It's just an old piece of shit, fun project but ultimately its junk. </div></div>

I disagree,
they are fine weapons and can be very accurate if built correctly....
to the OP, keep going, it's addictive....
wink.gif

Thanks guys, this is my first real project and I really want to be a gunsmith sometime after college so this is already getting addictive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a k98 rebuild for fun a few years back. They were on sale at a local shop for $60-ish and after tooling around with it and drilling and taping the receiver for a base I finished it shot it and forgot about it. It's just an old piece of shit, fun project but ultimately its junk. </div></div>
The are what all others are based against....Junk is not the term to use unless your particular one was. They can be real shooters if done right. I say go for it and enjoy!

my thoughts exactly keydiverfla, and to anyone else who is here to give negative feedback or to tell me not to do it, im kinda already at the point of no return here and i plan to make this rifle the best i can. does anyone know about adams and bennet barrels? i saw some on midway usa for a steal and ive heard of people getting under a minute with them. one person even claimed a third MOA at 100yds. are these claims true?

I just built a 7X57 AI for my wife on a mauser 98 with an A&B barrel I checked it with my bore scope and it did have a few tool marks I hand lapped checked it again it looked pretty good was able to remove most of the tool marks . I will be taking to the range next week, that will tell. I would post a picture if I knew how maybe I can figure that out

Ken

I built my nephew a 243 with a A&B sporter barrel for white tail...
it will hover close to 1 moa with handloads (hunting bullets) for 3 shots.... I imagine with good projectiles and some tuning, it would get under an moa.....
you might consider the "tubb's final finish" to smooth it out...

th_DSC01279.jpg

Here is a picture of the rifle,I fluted the barrel, made and installed a muzzle brake.surface ground the receiver front ring to make it concentric with the bore and the rear bridge so I could install a FN scope base,welded on new bolt handle and a after market trigger, I did lap the lugs add trued the front receiver ring. Most of the time I have Mausers re-heat treated but I didn't with this one because it was originally a 7X57 and didn't feel the Improved version would create that much more pressure. I installed it in a stock I bought of e-bay and if it shoots well it may get something better.

DSC01279.jpg

Ken

NRA Life Endowment Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a k98 rebuild for fun a few years back. They were on sale at a local shop for $60-ish and after tooling around with it and drilling and taping the receiver for a base I finished it shot it and forgot about it. It's just an old piece of shit, fun project but ultimately its junk. </div></div>

I disagree,
they are fine weapons and can be very accurate if built correctly....
to the OP, keep going, it's addictive....
wink.gif
</div></div>

I guess I should have spelled it out better for you guys... I $60 k98 like the one I was messing with was a turd out of the box. Sure it's a Turk model that is supposed to be the most accurate and it is a pretty good shooting rifle but I had to replace the whole bolt and pin along with some machining to the lugs in order to get it to go into battery, the safety on the OEm bolt was FUBAR and the new one is not much better. Now it works great but I made the awesome mistake of putting on a synthetic stock which made it feel better but the un-weighting makes it kick like a donkey and is not pleasant to shoot at all, hence my POS comment. In the end, I built it as a fun project, spent a good $400 after the fact on it and someday I'll take it out and shoot it some more. To me it was a purpose built rifle, the purpose being a fun project.

Here's one we built for about $250 using cheap parts, not including the bipod. Its a .243 and holds .5moa pretty well, a very accurate and fun rifle to shoot.

P1000656.jpg

I've heard that some of the WWII stuff simply won't hold up to the pressures, aren't worth the trouble, and can become dangerous. I've love to hear if anyone has rebuilt one from the late 30s early 40s. I've got 4 of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krlemas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
th_DSC01279.jpg

Here is a picture of the rifle,I fluted the barrel, made and installed a muzzle brake.surface ground the receiver front ring to make it concentric with the bore and the rear bridge so I could install a FN scope base,welded on new bolt handle and a after market trigger, I did lap the lugs add trued the front receiver ring. Most of the time I have Mausers re-heat treated but I didn't with this one because it was originally a 7X57 and didn't feel the Improved version would create that much more pressure. I installed it in a stock I bought of e-bay and if it shoots well it may get something better.

DSC01279.jpg

Ken

NRA Life Endowment Member </div></div>
how did you attach the muzzle brake? Is it clamp on or thread on?

[/quote]... I $60 k98 like the one I was messing with was a turd out of the box. Sure it's a Turk model that is supposed to be the most accurate and it is a pretty good shooting rifle but I had to replace the whole bolt and pin along with some machining to the lugs in order to get it to go into battery, the safety on the OEm bolt was FUBAR and the new one is not much better. Now it works great but I made the awesome mistake of putting on a synthetic stock which made it feel better but the un-weighting makes it kick like a donkey and is not pleasant to shoot at all, hence my POS comment. In the end, I built it as a fun project, spent a good $400 after the fact on it and someday I'll take it out and shoot it some more. To me it was a purpose built rifle, the purpose being a fun project. [/quote]

Send me a pm, i'll take it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: youngsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krlemas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
th_DSC01279.jpg

DSC01279.jpg

Ken

NRA Life Endowment Member </div></div>
how did you attach the muzzle brake? Is it clamp on or thread on? </div></div>It is threaded 9/16-28 thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's one we built for about $250 using cheap parts, not including the bipod. Its a .243 and holds .5moa pretty well, a very accurate and fun rifle to shoot.

P1000656.jpg

</div></div>It really looks good with that laminated stock ...nice job.

Ken

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: youngsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, this is my first real project and I really want to be a gunsmith sometime after college so this is already getting addictive. </div></div>

Keep goin' these old actions are very strong and can be built into excellent shooting rifles.

If you have any questions shoot me a PM, my dad and I have built several. The one shown below was my graduation present from HS. The deal was that I had to buy the scope, the rest of it was in a pile of parts, and my dad worked with me to build it.

It's now a sub MOA 30-06 and it's wearing a 26" A&B barrel that cost 70 bucks. It started out around .9"-1.0" for a 5 shot group but after a few hundred rounds it's polished up some more to shoot around 5/8-3/4" and I've shot some 3.5" groups at 600y with it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kunz.josh/AnkaraMauserRessurection#5337140545405804562

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard that some of the WWII stuff simply won't hold up to the pressures, aren't worth the trouble, and can become dangerous. I've love to hear if anyone has rebuilt one from the late 30s early 40s. I've got 4 of them. </div></div>

That's a myth.

I've shot stuff from my Turk 1943 action that was hot enough to blow the primer pocket out to .281" as opposed to .210" which should be around 80ksi

Apparently the NRA did some testing after WWII when the actions started showing up in this country and the Turks, Obendorff's, BRNO's in general most mausers are exceptionally strong. They tried to blow them up and it turned into the testing program putting high order propellants (explosives) into the acitons.

The strongest ones are the pre-war produced ones, up til about 1941 or 1942 the actions are just fantastic.

i built my m48 8mm mauser (yup thats where the handle comes from) into a great medium range sporter... it will hold .75 moa on a good day, and sub moa most... just a 21" two groove p14 bbl, tapped 4 a scopemount, re-bbl, re blued and alot of stock work... i have a thread around here somewhere, but need to fix my photobucket and get pics back up...

keep going the mauser is the pre64 mdl 70's daddy...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: youngsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, this is my first real project and I really want to be a gunsmith sometime after college so this is already getting addictive. </div></div>They have a good Gunsmithing program in N. Calif at Lassen Community College that also offers 1 week classes put on by the NRA. Lassen Gunsmith Classes

Ken

man hearin all these stories and seein all these guns is gettin me anxious! it shouldnt take a whole week to drill and tap a reciever! i understand hes busy bein one of the few smiths around here but come on!

Anyone know someone that bends bolts? I've got a project gun in the cradle but the cost of the heat sink, and jig is a bit prohibitive for a one of at the moment.

Cheers,

Doc

Doc, Jered would do it, if not he would know someone who would. I have to go down and pick up my build.

I dunno, that is kind of a specialty thing. Doing it and having done a couple hundred are 2 different things. 'Course if he said "BTDT got the tools and the torch" it'd be in the mail in the AM. When you going?

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno, that is kind of a specialty thing. Doing it and having done a couple hundred are 2 different things. 'Course if he said "BTDT got the tools and the torch" it'd be in the mail in the AM. When you going?

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>
first ild check prices. the cheapest gunsmith in my area charges $50 an hour and the Forging blocks cost $65. ive heard that with the Brownells Bolt Forging blocks you dont neccesarily need a heat sink as the blocks work as a sink. also if you ever want to do another project youll end up saving more money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know someone that bends bolts? I've got a project gun in the cradle but the cost of the heat sink, and jig is a bit prohibitive for a one of at the moment.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Doc:

I used The Boltman for a Mosin Nagant bolt years ago. He does top notch work. He does Mauser bolt handles, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VSP968</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know someone that bends bolts? I've got a project gun in the cradle but the cost of the heat sink, and jig is a bit prohibitive for a one of at the moment.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Doc:

I used The Boltman for a Mosin Nagant bolt years ago. He does top notch work. He does Mauser bolt handles, too. </div></div>

A good deal too.....

i saw a picture of a mauser converted to accept m14 mags on this site a couple days ago. since then ive been trying to track this picture down so i can figure out how he did it!! if anyone knows who he is or knows how to do this please let me know

I have used three vz-24 actions and one argintine. The argintine was opened up to 300wsm and after three rounds the action clamped down on the bolt and wouldnt open. Two of the vz-24s were 300 wsma nd the other is a 458 win mag. Love the vz-24 and have had no problems after hundreds of rounds.

i found the conversion....... still waiting to hear from the gunsmith....... i think im going to have to track this guy down

just for the halibut what is the link to the conversion thread

the guy who came up with the awesome idea is hyugo. search for him on this site and all his posts will come up and there you go
smile.gif
i cant wait to get my rifle back

Here are a couple of Mauser 98 builds. Yugo Mauser with a Target barrel, a Standard Mauser in 35 Whelen, and an Intermediate Mauser in 22/250.
308.jpg

35WhelenMauser1.jpg

22-250Mauser2.jpg

I am a student at Yavapai Community College taking their gunsmithing course. For our first semester we had to stock a Mauser using a semi-inlet. Learned a lot in the process. I used a Turk for my project. Also had to polish and reblue the barreled action. I am going to rebarrel the thing next semester in .257 Roberts and give to my daughter, with a little engraving to commemerate her first deer this year. The barrel on this one has been cut down, so the stock is a little long, but it was set-up for a longer barrel which will help balance it out. Not too bad for my first stock job. Next is an African Dangerous Game rifle in .375 H&H, complete with integral 1/4 rib, secondary recoil lug, sling stud, and front sight ramp. One of our instructors has built many of this type of rifle on these older Mauser actions. In my opinion, they can make an awesome rifle. Just depends on what your expectations are.

1striflepic2.jpg

Here's a pic of the other side. By the way, AZShooter did one also that turned out very nice. Will see if I can hit him up for a pic or two.
1striflepic3.jpg

Best of luck with it. I've got a 1912 erfurt that will become a heavy 6.5 swede and a couple of turks for who knows what else. I'm broke as hell for another year or so so on the back burner they wait.

2 376 Steyrs for my brother and me(mine, bottom, might become a 375 Ruger in the near future )and a lightweight 243 Win for my daughter.
376Steyrs3B.jpg

LightweightRifle6.jpg

Sailorman2 that top one is a beautiful piece of wood.

Thanks, both stocks are from Richards MicroFit and are blems. The top stock is Maple, the bottom one(mine) is English Walnut. Both stocks started as Rollover style, I modified mine.
Here is my son's 300 Win Mag in a Richards blem Bastogne walnut stock.
Robs300WinMag1.jpg

A couple of buddies and I are going down to Richards next Friday to try and find some stocks. I need to finish my 300 Win Mag.
My300WinMag2.jpg

ok i cant find out anywhere. how do u add pictures?
personally i think four and a half weeks is far to long to drill and tap three holes.

just got some parts in today from brownells. in all i got a timney FWD k98 trigger, stock ferrules, a remington 700 tactical bolt handle (im going to cut it down and shape it for a mauser) and some tix solder and flux.
total investment so far minus the rifle itself is:
$40 for a stock refinish kit and a recoil pad
$153 for parts above
$193 total

i would post pictures but i still dont know how to

got it!
this is the project gun with a temporary synthetic stock. since then i took that ugly thing off and put on the orginal one.
nya8hh.jpg