• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Buffalo (Bison) Hunting

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
I am looking for a nice place to go hunt big bison. I have found a few places but they only have bison that are under 1000 pounds. I am looking for the BIG boys, over 2000 pounds. If you know of any, please let me know.

Re: Buffalo (Bison) Hunting

Years ago at the Terry Bison Ranch (one of the largest ranches in the United States) they had guided hunts for Bison, and they were absolutely enormous, easily in the 2K class.

They are located on the Colorado/Wyoming border, off I-25.

If you find anything out, lemme know, as I'm interested in an enormous pile of bison meat!!

I can highly reccomend the durham ranch also and they have thousands of Bison and lots of huge old bulls. also the Blue Mnt. Bison ranch in Colorado north of Denver is also very good. you could pm me and I can help you with details about hunting bison.

Twin Pines ranch NW of Wheatland, WY has some buffalo "hunts".
I don't know much about it, but let me know if you need more info.

And the Durham Ranch has LOTS of bison. Just stay away from the hot wire at the bottom of the fence next to the highway. The capacitors store that charge real well...

I work on the Durham Ranch (oil and gas) pretty regularly and I can tell you that there is a shit ton of buffalo and some BIG bulls out there. Have some pics somewhere that I will try to find. Also John Flocchini is a great guy to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work on the Durham Ranch (oil and gas) pretty regularly and I can tell you that there is a shit ton of buffalo and some BIG bulls out there. Have some pics somewhere that I will try to find. Also John Flocchini is a great guy to deal with. </div></div>

I can't believe you claim Triple CS'er. LOL
It's like claiming "greenie"

I lived there in 1999-2000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John in WYO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work on the Durham Ranch (oil and gas) pretty regularly and I can tell you that there is a shit ton of buffalo and some BIG bulls out there. Have some pics somewhere that I will try to find. Also John Flocchini is a great guy to deal with. </div></div>

I can't believe you claim Triple CS'er. LOL
It's like claiming "greenie"

I lived there in 1999-2000.</div></div>

Well I happen to like that song lol. It is pretty much the truth if ya really think about it. Also it kinda takes away their ammo if you don't take offense to it but rather embrace it.

The Buffalo Hunt:

Wyoming has buffalo hunts. You put in, you get put on a list, and as the animals step out of the part, they take the first on on the list and work their way down. I got on the list a couple times but never got called.

Custer State Park has a round up every year and auction off excess critters. So I come up with the ideal of buying one of the Custer State Park buying one of these and turning it loose on my property and "huntng it".

Sounds like a deal right. Well these aren't tame ranch buffalo, the sucker dern near tore up my trailer when they loaded it up.

When I pulled in the yard, my wife and granddaughter desides its hungry and try to feed it. Sucker went balistic.

I figure maybe this isnt a great ideal. If I turn it loose I'll be fixing fences for a while. So I put the trailer in the arena figuring I'll shoot it there and haul it off to the butcher shop.

My neighbor a local state trooper and part time taxidermy was going to process the head. I call him for advice on where to shoot it without tearing up the future mount.

I get out a "real" buffalo rifle, An 1886 Remington Rolling Block in 44-90 Sharps Bottle Neck. My taxdermist tells me not to use the rifle, just shoot it in the trailer with a pistol.

I'm not sure about this, but he knows and I don't (supposely). So I get my model 28 Smith, 357 with 150 LSWCs. My old service revolver that has killed several moose in my cop days in Anchorage.

So here goes, I take careful aim at the forehead and shoot. Bounced the bullet off his head. Now he's really mad. You have no ideal how mad a buffalo can get if you lock it in a horse trailer and bounce a 357 bullet off his head.

My taxidermist is laughing his ass off. I start for the rifle and he tells me NO, make and imagamary X from the base of its horn to each eye, and shoot it in the center of the X. I did that and it works.

I get the tractor and pull it out of the trailer, and take a picture of it with my Remington Rolling block (which I should have used).

My original goal was to get some good cheap meat. Yeak right, Auction price for the buffalo, and repairs to my trailer, I could have bought a couple beef critters.

But anyway it was an experience. Those suckers are big and tough, be prepared for an all day process once you get the sucker down. Just glad I didn't have to pack the sucker. As it was I just loaded it into the pickup with my tractor and off to the processing plant. Lots of good lean meat.

Buffalo.jpg

That is hilarious.

I am picturing that thing going bat shit inside the trailer! Nice.

We have two places up here on Kodiak island where you can hunt. 2K and you ride out and pop one. I could not tell you how big they get but, they are huge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You have no ideal how mad a buffalo can get if you lock it in a horse trailer and bounce a 357 bullet off his head.
</div></div>

Quote of the day, maybe week/month.

there is nothing easy about a bison, I have been thru many a rodeo with these guys with several of the above stories. it can be funny as hell and serious as hell also. there is no fence that can stop them and they will go where ever they want. take a big gun and shoot right where his taxidermist told him to. light weight calibers will not work and just piss them off. I also do full time taxidermy and I can attest to the work just begins when they hit the ground. after my first one I had the utmost respect for the native indians and how they would take them apart with sharp rocks and bones. I would highly reccomend going with a ranch who knows how to handle them and has the equipment to do so. Also you only want to hunt bison from the 15th of Oct. thru the 15th of Jan. no matter where they live from south pole to north pole and every where in between, they start to molt after the 15th of Jan. so if you kill on after that date it will not come back from the tanners looking like what you shot. it will lose all the loose hair that has molted and just not fallen out yet. So hunt one in the winter and it will look awesome.

The Durham Ranch both the Bulls and the Facilites to handle them after the shot.( Think Front-end loader )
DSC00022.jpg

The bull was taken with a 260@100mtrs
DSC00023.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

You can shoot a little distance there also...
DSC00029.jpg

DSC00031-1.jpg

At these
DSC00034-1.jpg

Then go for Dinner in Wright, WY

You shot a buffalo with a 260! That is like going grizzly bear hunting with a 243. I want a BIG bore like hunters of the old days. Sharps or Remington rolling block in some 45 or 50 caliber with open sights is what I`m taking on my hunt. What did your bull weigh Duc?

Bull in the pictures was shot by a 130lb Lady with a 260. Weight maybe 1300 +- lbs.

From what I heard, that Durham Ranch herd is the biggest in the country. Don't know if its true, but from what I've see, its HUGE.

you got it...The Durham Ranch and Wright Wyo...where Men are Men and soo are the Women. awesome country!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have no idea how mad a buffalo can get if you lock it in a horse trailer and bounce a 357 bullet off his head.</div></div>

That is quite possibly the funniest shit I have read in a long time! LOL Thanks for the laugh, kraigWY!