• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Buffer tube length

Hopar

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2023
SF Bay
My 15 has 20" barrel with the gas port about 16.5" away.
Does it need a rifle buffer tube or the carbine tube?

TIA

Use the tube length to match the buffer type you are using. Either can work.
The decision is likely more based around your choice of stock.

Reactions: Hopar
Are you asking about the thin gas tube on the barrel, or the receiver extension tube on which the butt stock slides?

Here are some links that might help.

Are you asking about the thin gas tube on the barrel, or the receiver extension tube on which the butt stock slides?

Here are some links that might help.

Receiver extension.

I will watch. Thank you

Use the tube length to match the buffer type you are using. Either can work.
The decision is likely more based around your choice of stock.
So as long as the bolt clears the bolt catch, I should be OK?

Not quite. If you used a carbine length buffer in a rifle length extension you'd need to use a spacer to prevent over travel, otherwise you would damage the lower receiver.

If you are using a non-adjustable stock such as an A1 or A2 style you'd use a rifle length extension. Normally you'd use a rifle length buffer and spring, but a spacer, carbine buffer and carbine spring can also be used.

Not quite. If you used a carbine length buffer in a rifle length extension you'd need to use a spacer to prevent over travel, otherwise you would damage the lower receiver.

If you are using a non-adjustable stock such as an A1 or A2 style you'd use a rifle length extension. Normally you'd use a rifle length buffer and spring, but a spacer, carbine buffer and carbine spring can also be used.
I have the carbine length tube with a fixed stock (I am in Comifonia)

I assume you meant both tubes will work.

Carrier stroke length doesn't change no matter how long your barrel, gas system, or receiver extension. Pick a buffer tube based on the stock you want and use the appropriate buffer and spring.

Reactions: Hopar
Carrier stroke length doesn't change no matter how long your barrel, gas system, or receiver extension. Pick a buffer tube based on the stock you want and use the appropriate buffer and spring.
Got it.

Thanks.