• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Build finishing ideas

broylz

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2010
Gallatin, TN
I am in the early planning phase of my rifle build and had a few questions. I initially questioned CM barrels vs SS barrels and was given some good advice in support of SS barrels on another forum. That said, I was planning on cerakoting either way but now I have been reading up on meloniting the barreled action and am wondering if this would be a better idea? reading about increased hardness, less throat erosion and slightly better corrosion resistance with CM, but possibly taking away some corrosion resistance from SS barrels.

I am planning a 30-06 shooting 190s. Im not a high volume shooter so im not sure if im overthinking this too much or not. I do shoot quite a bit more than the average hunter but maybe 1K a year with my previous 308s.

which route would you suggest? pros and cons of Cerakote SS or CM? Melonite CM?

as my post count nears 100, how about a third option: Remington trinyte available on the XCR rifles. I have one, the finish is very, very consistent, hard as woodpecker teeth, etc. I was told by the custom shop that if I sent them my barrel + action with a new barrel they can do it though I don't have it in writing.

I LOVE the finish of cerakote. It's extremely durable, which is a must for myself. I've had 3 1911's, my 700, and my LWRC all done in cerakote.

As for the Melonite, I have no experience with it