• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build help - free float handguard

EscapeVelocity

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Zanesville, Ohio
Just bought an Aero stripped upper and lower. About to install the lower parts kit (first time). There are a ton of professional resources online to help guide me in this process (and you guys especially). I also decided on a barrel, WOA 18" spr mid length gas with 223 wydle chamber and 7 twist.

This is where I need a little help. I'm going to order a gas block, tube, and free float handguard. I'm curious as to the compatibility of some of rail selections and gas blocks. Which ones cover the blocks? Or is that the route I should go? I do like a little longer rail but i'm only concerned about mounting optics and flip ups, and a bipod. What are you guys running on your spr type builds? I do like the concept of mounting red dot just to the side of an optic.

The purpose of this rifle is versatility, with the emphasis on accuracy (what build isn't I guess). Thanks guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

For a great bang for the buck, and extreme light weight, I like my M.I. GenII 15" mod rails really well. I've got Samson/Rainier Evo's too, and like them pretty well. Overall, MI is my current fave under $200..

For a great bang for the buck, and extreme light weight, I like my M.I. GenII 15" mod rails really well. I've got Samson/Rainier Evo's too, and like them pretty well. Overall, MI is my current fave under $200..

Ive got a DPMS LR308, will I need any type of adapter to make that Gen2 15" fit my rifle? I really like the design and MI products works flawless on my AK's.

What gas block went well with that MI gen 2? I guess i'm worried about clearance on mid length..?

There are several quality free float rails on the market, but if you want versatility, then you might want to consider a keymod style handguard. A longer rail will increase the sight distance between your iron sights and should, in theory, help increase accuracy. I have the same barrel you do (except with a rifle length gas system) and I used a Troy Alpha rail and a Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block. Hope this helps.

What gas block went well with that MI gen 2? I guess i'm worried about clearance on mid length..?

Any of the standard lo-profile (non-railed) gas blocks will fit fine under the MI (and it is one of the slimmer diameter rails). I'm using a Troy on one and a BCM on another with plenty of clearance.

I've not dabbled with adjustable gas blocks, myself. I'd imagine you'd be properly gassed with a T2 or H2 buffer and FA carrier with that 18" midlength setup.

Last edited:
+1 for the MI handguards, they are really nice quality and not super expensive. You can get a low profile gas block from them as well.

No, I haven't made it to Rayners yet. I'd like to shoot one of their matches.

I have shot at Rayners Range a couple times now, beautiful range and great people there. I too want to shoot one of their matches soon. What range do you typically shoot at EscapeVelocity? I am a member at the Briar Rabbit range and go there pretty regularly.

I've not seen an FF HG that wouldn't fit over the standard low profile gas block style that practically every manufacturer sells a version of.

One of my favorite FF HGs is made by Head Down products, called the Provectus.
It's inexpensive and light, and the way it mounts on the included barrel nut is the strongest design I've seen, and I've seen and built a bunch.
Unfortunately PA only has the 9" rail in stock right now.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Head-Down-Products-Provectus-9-Rail-System-p/hdpr9.htm

You might want to just buy the Aero Precision COP monolithic upper/FF HG.
The full kits come with configurable sides and bottom for the HG, so you can have smooth or partially smooth sections on the HG.
The minimalist kits come with fewer options but are worth a look.
COP M4 - AR15 Continuous Optics Platform Mid-Length Upper Receiver Kit

Last edited:
There are several quality free float rails on the market, but if you want versatility, then you might want to consider a keymod style handguard. A longer rail will increase the sight distance between your iron sights and should, in theory, help increase accuracy. I have the same barrel you do (except with a rifle length gas system) and I used a Troy Alpha rail and a Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block. Hope this helps.

Why did you choose rifle gas over mid? I'm curious and have done a little research on which length guys go with. I just want to be sure i'm not over looking anything. I'm going with a standard low profile .750 gas block, probably going with a gen 2 MI rail (key mod), still undecided about the muzzle, and the gas tube should just depend on the gas block distance from receiver. Critique me if i'm wrong on anything.

Thanks for the input guys.

I chose the rifle length gas system because it's supposed to be a softer impulse when recoiling. The adjustable gas block isn't necessary, but if I can reduce the amount of gas and junk flowing into my receiver, then I can decrease the number of necessary cleanings. Not that I neglect my guns, but excessive gas means excessive recoil too. Syrac Ordnance manufactures the gas blocks for JP, but they're slightly cheaper.

I'm currently using a Seekins ATC brake. It's effective, loud, and the recoil is almost nonexistent. Over the weekend I let my friend shoot it while standing at his 7 o'clock without eye protection. I won't make that mistake again.

Your gun is a mid-length gas system. When you order the gas tube, just make sure it says mid-length and you'll be good to go.

I used the Midwest GII quad rail, rifle length, and my 18" WOA barrel is rifle gas so clearance wasn't a problem. But the gas block I have (YHM clamping) is small enough to where it would fit underneath without a problem. With a mid gas barrel a spectre length handguard, 10" should cover the gas block.

People say mid has more recoil than rifle length but really it is a 223 hardly punishing recoil here.

Yea I agree. There isn't anything about the .223 round that is punishing recoil. I would say that reducing any muzzle flip or recoil would be beneficial for maintaining POA, as we all know. That said, if rifle length is the way to go I will go with it instead of mid. I haven't placed the order yet, so I have until Tuesday to decide. I'll dig a little more or anyone chime in on what they like.