• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build me a sheep rifle

mtnhunter22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2020
Mainly looking for advice on caliber choices.

Have a browning xbolt LA that holds some sentimental value that I’ll be building off of. McMillan game warden stock. Thinking something short, in the 20” range. Leupold 3.5-18 mk5.

What would be your caliber choice if you built a sheep hunting rifle?

6.5x284 assuming you will be dragging your rifle up around tree line for days at a time.

It is a barrel burner, but for me in a big game hunting rifle that isnt a deal breaker.

If not that, plain old 7mm Rem mag.

My sheep/goat rifle is a Rem Ti short action in 6.5x284. Loaded with scope, sling, ect and Ultra 5 it weighs just over 7 lbs.

6.5x284 assuming you will be dragging your rifle up around tree line for days at a time.

It is a barrel burner, but for me in a big game hunting rifle that isnt a deal breaker.

My sheep/goat rifle is a Rem Ti short action in 6.5x284. Loaded with scope, sling, ect and Ultra 5 it weighs just over 7 lbs.
I have considered the trusty 7 Rem mag. Would 20” be too short of a barrel for it though was my only concern. I am not sure.

I own Brownings... I like Brownings.
After researching modifying a Browning into a different configuration I decided to not alter the Basic Browning configuration.
Ask around and get some opinions from some of the professionals. One disadvantage is the limited amount of after market items.

Exact cartridge I thought of when I first read the title

I own Brownings... I like Brownings.
After researching modifying a Browning into a different configuration I decided to not alter the Basic Browning configuration.
Ask around and get some opinions from some of the professionals. One disadvantage is the limited amount of after market items.
I agree. This one hold some sentimental value, barrel is shot out and sitting in the safe. Thought it would be a good one to build off of. But you’re right. Not 100% ideal. But I think I can make it work.

Sounds like I need to do some reading on the old 6.5x284. Not too familiar with it

I agree. This one hold some sentimental value, barrel is shot out and sitting in the safe. Thought it would be a good one to build off of. But you’re right. Not 100% ideal. But I think I can make it work.
A shade tree gunsmith can't even remove the Browning barrel.... Read up on the stories of some who tried and failed. Then there was a really big mess to deal with.

6.5PRC would fit the bill also.

Plenty power for sheep & light recoil for a light weight rifle.

Edit: my reading comp isn’t great…….

Last edited:
what's it currently chambered in?

sticking with that boltface would be smart. and there are plenty of good options with both a 308/30-06 or a magnum bolt face

what's it currently chambered in?

sticking with that boltface would be smart. and there are plenty of good options with both a 308/30-06 or a magnum bolt face
Currently a 7rem mag. So LA, mag bolt face. So just reading looks like a 6.5x284 wouldn’t work unfortunately.

Last edited:
Currently a 7rem mag. So LA, mag bolt face. So just reading looks like a 6.5x284 wouldn’t work unfortunately.
If it’s a LA/magnum bf I’d just stick with 7 mag. Rebarrel it with a shorter barrel, deal with the recoil with a brake or can.

As stated above, Browing isn’t a great option for a custom build, but the heart wants what it wants.

Reactions: mtnhunter22
If it’s a LA/magnum bf I’d just stick with 7 mag. Rebarrel it with a shorter barrel, deal with the recoil with a brake or can.

As stated above, Browing isn’t a great option for a custom build, but the heart wants what it wants.
Haha. Yes. I’ve done a couple different builds and spared no expense. And I love those rifles. This one holds some value and figured I could turn it into something better than what it is now.

Anyone run a 20” 7 Rem mag? Also not ideal I understand.

Reactions: HaydenLane
Haha. Yes. I’ve done a couple different builds and spared no expense. And I love those rifles. This one holds some value and figured I could turn it into something better than what it is now.

Anyone run a 20” 7 Rem mag? Also not ideal I understand.
I’m not, but I wouldn’t hesitate one bit. It’ll still be faster than a 24” 7mm-08 and probably a 20” 7 saum.

Buy a new rifle.

7mm-08.

IIRC the third-largest sheep ever taken in Oregon fell to a single 140 gr AccuBond out of a 7mm-08.

You know we kill elk with them, right?

P

Reactions: JAS-SH
300 NM. 8.5 lbs, folds up nice and small.

Attachments

• 6D63C168-5184-4245-8557-427D28FDB0C4.jpeg
    6D63C168-5184-4245-8557-427D28FDB0C4.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 719141D7-5E98-4046-8EA5-8E49C4AF6160.jpeg
    719141D7-5E98-4046-8EA5-8E49C4AF6160.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 85
7/270 wsm would be a better option for a short barrel. The long action would allow you to throat it for 180s I would expect 2850-2900 seated right. You could go straight 270wsm also now that there are a number of higher bc bullets in 270. I'm running a 140 game changer at 3140 and a 150 berger at 3030 in the straight 270 win with Rl 26. I don't see anything walking away from either. In a 20" wizm you might have a big flame thrower but I would think you could push the 150's to 3000 and the 165/170 to 2900.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
I see the 20" limit, now. I like 7mm, so I say 7mm-08. If 24" barrel is an option, then 280AI. 175gr Berger Elites @ 2850fps is easy, with 1000ft/lbs @ 1000yds and supersonic to 1500yds. Go heavy for elk, light for whitetail, or lighter for varmints. Sierra, Berger and Barnes make good hunting and target bullets. It's a very versatile and effective round.

Last edited:
I have heard the A-Bolt and X-bolt barrels dont come off too easy, but best to consult the riflesmith of choice.

Having said that, with a magnum bolt face LA with a 20" tube gonna need to find a cartridge that will be efficient in that length IMO.

Are you going to reload for it or factory foddler?

I got a sweet spot for 300WSM but don't know how will it will feed in the factory LA DBM.

7Maggie with a 180EDM is no slouch!

I have heard the A-Bolt and X-bolt barrels dont come off too easy, but best to consult the riflesmith of choice.

Having said that, with a magnum bolt face LA with a 20" tube gonna need to find a cartridge that will be efficient in that length IMO.

Are you going to reload for it or factory foddler?

I got a sweet spot for 300WSM but don't know how will it will feed in the factory LA DBM.

7Maggie with a 180EDM is no slouch!
I have been late to respond here. Everything will be reloaded. I probably pulled the trigger too soon on a barrel before deciding what I really wanted to do. Have a carbon six 7mm blank on order.

I really like the idea of the 6.5×284 but after digging into it a little more I don’t think I will be able to swap the bolt on an X bolt. Or at least browning recommended not to do it.

So maybe just run a “soft” 7 mag shooting something in the 160 range for bullets. I have a 7saum that I use the 180 Bergers with and it’s a hammer.

Any advantage to a 7WSM over a 7 Rem mag in a 20” barrel?

20" 7 mm mag? Are you trying to cook 'em the same time you shoot them??

Any bears where you are going to sheep hunt? If so get a Defiance anti long action. A Bartlein #3 barrel in .308. Chamber it for 30/06 at 24" length. Any stock ya want. Have some stiff loads of 200 gr Swift A frames or Partitions behind your first two rounds of 165 gr Nosler BT.

Any concerns you might lose your loads for your caliber and have to scrounge up some ammo locally? 30/06 is easy to find anywhere.

20" 7 mm mag? Are you trying to cook 'em the same time you shoot them??

Any bears where you are going to sheep hunt? If so get a Defiance anti long action. A Bartlein #3 barrel in .308. Chamber it for 30/06 at 24" length. Any stock ya want. Have some stiff loads of 200 gr Swift A frames or Partitions behind your first two rounds of 165 gr Nosler BT.

Any concerns you might lose your loads for your caliber and have to scrounge up some ammo locally? 30/06 is easy to find anywhere.
I know. Ordered the barrel on a whim and made a mistake. Didn’t realize a 20” Rem mag would be an issue with burning powder.

Oh don't let us put a damper on your rifle. Go on and build it. Should be fun and a blast at the range! Oh and it should make your guides eyebrows shoot up a bit too when you show it to him.

IIR, the Nosler magnums require a larger bolt face.

Last edited:
I've used my 257 weatherby on sheep, and everything else for that matter, but my son drew a sheep tag this year and will be shooting my 6.5x284.

Reactions: triumph001
Any advantage to a 7WSM over a 7 Rem mag in a 20” barrel?
Yes, the short mags allow slightly more barrel length and the short powder column is a perfect fit for short barrels.
The 7 wsm is probably my favorite factory 7mm.
I owned one with a custom throat, and got 3000 fps with 175s from a 22" barrel.
Currently I own an 18" 7-300 wsm improved and get 2900 with 175s.

With Hornady brass available I'd go 7 wsm

Reactions: BillyGoatMachine
alright so magnum bolt face. and 7mm barrel ordered.
so 284 anything is out. nosler is out. 7-08/7SAW is out. 280AI is out

7SS better in every way SAUM with good brass available
7RM since the rifle is already a 7RM
7SAUM (factory ammo?)
7WSM (factory ammo?)

Reactions: long range sponge
alright so magnum bolt face. and 7mm barrel ordered.
so 284 anything is out. nosler is out. 7-08/7SAW is out. 280AI is out

7SS better in every way SAUM with good brass available
7RM since the rifle is already a 7RM
7SAUM (factory ammo?)
7WSM (factory ammo?)
Well here’s the other kicker…I found a standard bolt face, LA x bolt bolt assembly for sale.

So if it’s gotta be headspaced anyway when the new barrel gets spun I may just swap the bolt and go 6.5x284. Obviously the glaring question is would an x bolt hold tight enough tolerances to swap the bolt and not blow myself up.

Also found a 6.5 proof small shank barrel on sale. So maybe the stars are aligning for the 6.5x284.

Otherwise I’m going to just do the 7 Rem mag as everyone has suggested.

I got a couple buddies that went to Jizzfukistan er somewhere last year, and each took 2
Ibex and an Argaili, both using 6.5x284 and 130 berger vldh.
Nothing wrong with the 7 rem either. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: mtnhunter22
I would have went with a 25-06.
Not a barrel burner (not too bad anyway).
Comfortable in a 20" barrel.
You can actually find ammo on the shelf.
Shoots very flat.

That's just me though.

Reactions: AlleghenyLongGun
You have to take into account the conditions when you finally take that shot of a lifetime.
Yer prolly dead tired physically, brain dead mentally from second guessing yer decisions for days on end. Shooting up, down or across some twitchy winded ravine. That 257 Bee
Can really take some stress off that shot for you.

I killed a nice 12 year old full curl Dall Ram in the Chugiak mountains near Eagle River, Alaska with a .340 Weatherby Mag. Was actually a Winchester model 70 stainless synthetic that I bought new in .338 Win Mag that escaped the factory with an unfinished chamber. Had a local gunsmith rechamber it to .340 Weatherby mag on Winchester's dime (he wrote the bill up as .338 Win mag). Was worried about Grizzlies hiking through alder brush getting to the high country hence the big gun. Plus I was alone. Good luck.

One Holer