• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build my Reloading Cart on Brownells

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    After putting reloading off for over a year I bit the bullet and ordered an Area 419 Zero press. I just need help picking the basic tools needed because it is a lot to take in starting out. I know powders, primers, etc are hard to come by right now. I don't need a scale right now because when I can I am going to get the AutoTrickler Combo + FX-120i. I want to leave it up to the experts here on what other basic tools I need to get started for case prep and what not.

If you want to, build me a cart on Brownells of tools you purchased when starting out, wished you had purchased, or still want to purchase, etc. I'd like to keep it under $500 or so to start and buy more later. Bullets, brass, powders, primers all will come later.

Here is a picture of what I currently have in my cart on Brownells.
    1604059179396.png

You need an outside deburring tool as well.

Calipers - 6" mititoyu digital calipers are $!20 on amazon, but worth it for the convenience of digital and reliability.

Check the area 419 funnel kit. You don't really want to use the plastic universal ones longer than you have to.

A couple of akro bins to keep brass seperated by lot and step (ie sized, trimmed, etc).

I wish I had gone to a tri way trimmer initially - but I have the WTF for 223 and it does a good job, you just have to manually debur and chamfer after.

Also, either a notebook, or google docs. I notebook and pencil, and write down everything - date, steps taken, what tools i used, anything I noticed (ie brass had shoulder dents, new lot of powder), lengths, etc. I go back and add notes about how it shot afterwards, and file the targets in a binder by rifle. I wish I had kept better notes to start. One guy here suggested keeping a google doc because it is searchable - which is probably easier than flipping through 200 pages looking for a specific load and bullet you tried twice sometime two years ago...

Reactions: Gustav7
    You'll want a comparator body, bullet ogive insert and headspace insert for 280. Bullet insert is just gonna be the 28 cal one. Headspace insert just look up which one fits it. Heres the brownells landing page with what you'll need. I wouldn't buy the set unless you know you're gonna reload multiple different calibers

You'll want a loading tray. I like to do batches of 50 or 100 depending on caliber and motivation level. I like these universal MTM ones.

+1 on the Giraud Tri-way trimmer. I would personally get a tri-way cutter. Either the Giraud or the Trim-it 2

+1 on a load data book. Whether its a simple notebook, a formatted excel printoff or a Google Sheets form, etc. Keep track of everything. Neck Tension, Shoulder bump, # of firings, COAL, CBTO, any issues, accuracy, velocities, etc...

+1 on the calipers. Get a good set and you'll be happy for a long time

You can preorder the entire AD FX120 autotrickler set up from CE Products. You put $50 down and they're quoting a 6-8week timeframe.

You'll need a priming system... K&M, 21st Century, Sinclair, or this frankford get up

Thats all I can think of for now.

What is the benefit to using the area 419 funnel kit over a basic plastic funnel?

They fit perfectly and basically no chance static.... .thats about it. They're just really nice.

Some may not believe this...but improving on a small task like taking a funnel off a case and putting it on another case does make the reloading process smoother and more enjoyable, in a small way.

If you use a cheap plastic funnel and it falls off, gets all sideways, or allows a little powder to pass it starts to get annoying. It's merely a preference.

Reactions: TAMU20
    You'll want a comparator body, bullet ogive insert and headspace insert for 280. Bullet insert is just gonna be the 28 cal one. Headspace insert just look up which one fits it. Heres the brownells landing page with what you'll need. I wouldn't buy the set unless you know you're gonna reload multiple different calibers

You'll want a loading tray. I like to do batches of 50 or 100 depending on caliber and motivation level. I like these universal MTM ones.

+1 on the Giraud Tri-way trimmer. I would personally get a tri-way cutter. Either the Giraud or the Trim-it 2

+1 on a load data book. Whether its a simple notebook, a formatted excel printoff or a Google Sheets form, etc. Keep track of everything. Neck Tension, Shoulder bump, # of firings, COAL, CBTO, any issues, accuracy, velocities, etc...

+1 on the calipers. Get a good set and you'll be happy for a long time

You can preorder the entire AD FX120 autotrickler set up from CE Products. You put $50 down and they're quoting a 6-8week timeframe.

You'll need a priming system... K&M, 21st Century, Sinclair, or this frankford get up

Thats all I can think of for now.
    Added the priming system to my wish list and will get the Giraud trimmer. Have questions about the others.

Are these the headspace inserts you mentioned?

And I've had these on my wishlist for a while too.

For the AD FX120, would it be better to get it without the auto trickler and use Area 419s? Or does theirs just replace the funnel kit?

Or this for headspace?

No, those are GO and NO-GO gauges... you're not setting your headspace in your chamber. You're checking the headspace of your BRASS.

There are nicer versions of the hornady but its not a precision tool....its a comparator, so you're just comparing one measurement vs another to understand where your die(s) needs to be set, and how consistent you are from case to case.

Are these the headspace inserts you mentioned?

And I've had these on my wishlist for a while too.

For the AD FX120, would it be better to get it without the auto trickler and use Area 419s? Or does theirs just replace the funnel kit?

1.) Yes those are the headspace inserts. So what you need is ONE comparator body, thats the red thing with the brass knob, this goes on your caliper blade. The following inserts go into the comparator body. You need ONE headspace insert for 280 remington or similar case. The headspace inserts are not individual per caliber, they're based on case shape. You need ONE bullet insert, this is caliber based. You'll want the insert for 7mm/28 caliber. You DO NOT need the whole set and you can buy them individually. IF you wnat the whole set, then get it so you can use it for other calibers, but its not needed for only one.

See pictures below

This is the bullet comparator. It measures off the OGIVE of a loaded round so you can get proper measurements instead of OAL to the bullet tip, which is less consistent.
    1604092799254.png

This is the headspace comparator, it measures off the datum line on a case. This will tell you your fired case headspace measurement, and then you bump the case back in the sizing die and measure again. This is used to make sure your cases are sized enough, but not too much or in a random amount.
    1604092855961.png

Not sure what you're asking with the Autotrickler setup. It'd be easier to just buy the whole thing from CE Products. AREA 419 makes good accessories to the system. The Funnel set has nothing to do with the Autotrickler...thats a separate thing.

Check out the Shars Aventor digital calipars. They have a couple that are IP54 and IP67 rated. The IP54 rated ones can connect to your computer via a cable (sold seperatly of course lol) and input your measurments directly into a spreadsheet. You can also get them with the calibration certified by an independent lab to make sure that the measurements are correct and for less than the Mitatoyos.

Get the 8" calipers instead of the 6". It makes it easier to do tasks like measuring headspace when you are using long action cartridges.

They don't have to be Mitutoyo or Starrett, we aren't building the next space shuttle...but that being said:

K + M chamfering tool instead of sinclair, because k+m has a "stop" on theirs and all cases are chamfered the same........if you go with sinclair , count your turns.

Another vote for " Top Grade Ammo "
    I like k+m flash hole debur tool and their primer pocket uniformer....
    Just depends on how deep into rabbit hole you want go......go for the gusto , 21 century neck turning tool ........not "needed" but hey you asked us to spend your money.

All joking aside.......+10 on writing everything down....get some kind of data book and record everything.