• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build my rifle!!!

Gobears16

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Blackhawk, Ca
So I’ve been tasked with building a rifle for a friend. He has a budget of 6-7k including optic. We have a private range from 25yd-1760yds. He’s had cataract eye surgery and heavy calibers won’t work. 75% will be bench and 25% truck hunting pigs and deer. Going to be buying match factory ammo. He has no time to reload.

If you had the budget listed above what would you guys choose? Cartridge, platform, optic?

This is almost like the kid in the candy store, but I don’t know which candy is the best for him. Money is no object to a certain point. He just wants the best for the application. What do you guys think?

For me that build would be a defiance or bighorn tl3 action, proof carbon in 6.5prc. with a S&B and manners stock. With his eyesight needing a little help might want to look at the NF 7-35x56

18" Rem700 pattern with a 2-10x Nightforce. 308 or 6.5 creed or 243win depending on his druthers.

There's no way I would go with a PRC if you're looking for something with low recoil. I'd be looking at a 6 Creed or 243. Factory ammo is going to be the limitation.

Does he plan on putting a brake on it, or maybe a can? That would reduce recoil by a bunch.

I would agree, though, that some good glass is going to help him see targets.

There's no way I would go with a PRC if you're looking for something with low recoil. I'd be looking at a 6 Creed or 243. Factory ammo is going to be the limitation.

Does he plan on putting a brake on it, or maybe a can? That would reduce recoil by a bunch.

Ability to shoot to 1760 and doing some hunting with it would make me want something with a bit more than the 6cm has to offer.

Ability to shoot to 1760 and doing some hunting with it would make me want something with a bit more than the 6cm has to offer.
He said shooting from the bench and hunting from the truck.

A mile is what is available, not the stated goal.

Reactions: Gobears16
I second the 6 Creed recommendation and if he reloaded the 243Ai would be a good fit.
Either of those will have low recoil and very good ballistics and be more than what's needed for ethical kills on feral pigs and deer.
If a little more recoil isn't an issue for him the 65 CM would be the choice I would make, way more factory options for ammo, better barrel life and more energy on target than the 6mm options.
If he isn't opposed to using a brake or will be running a suppressor then it's a wash on recoil.

Keep in mind that extra weight makes a "huge difference" in felt recoil! My 24lb all up 6.5 Saum with 5 port brake feels like my 15lb braked 6mmBR, which isn't much more than my 13 lb unbraked 223AI using 88's.

Now my friends braked 6.5-4s hunter which is 11lbs all up has some buck to it but it's more that the rifle moves more not that it is unpleasant to shoot. Heck an unbraked 308 is punishing in comparison.

I would choose the 6.5 CM for the cartridge. It's not ideal at 1 mile but it will get there. Factory ammo is good, available, and you have lots of options. With a good brake or suppressor recoil will be mild. It will be quite capable of killing hogs or deer at reasonable hunting ranges.

I'd build the gun off a KRG Bravo, Bighorn TL3, BixNAndy trigger, a 26 inch fast twist barrel (1 in 7 or 1 in 7.5) in a medium contour, an Atlas bipod using Area419's ARCA system, and ARC rings.

The optic is where I would splurge due to his eyesight issues. Either a ZCO 5-27 or TT 5-25. If that's too much magnification go with the ZCO 4-20 or TT 3-15.

Looks like I’ll have Spartan Precision build a 6.5CM on a Defiance hunter w/ 26in bartlein #3 and Bix n Andy. Looking at the Zero Compromise line of scopes. The only other decision is stock or chassis... maybe a KRG Bravo

go with KRG. They are great folks and their chassis have great adjustability at an unbeatable price. They are built by folks who know about using weapons professionally, so that is nice. You can mix and match rear and fore ends on them.
@Massoud for his comments.

@MK20 Thank you for the kind words! The Bravo is virtually impossible to beat on value and with the optional items we have it's hard to beat period. The Whiskey-3 is our high end chassis though if you want to go upscale. We're happy to help how we can.

For using factory match ammo with lighter recoil it's hard to beat 6.5 Creed. 6mm is lighter but the ammo offerings are significantly less.

A can, brake or our weighted accessories will bring the recoil way down of course.

Justin

I recommend letting him choose his reticle and looking through scopes before choosing one. A lot of the time when people ask for recommendations everyone is quick to recommend what they bought without taking into consideration end-user quirks. I would also recommend he handle some different stocks/chassis if possible to get a feel for good length of pull, total weight, etc.

I'd also recommend putting an ARCA rail on the forend to make tripod attachment easy if you'll be hunting out of the back of a truck.