• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Build or buy 100 to 800m bolt gun ?

terribleone1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
NC
Hey guys

this is my first post hear and need some help deciding what to do......buy or build that is. Ive been into precision shooting mostly with the ar platform(spr) type and am now looking into a bolt gun in .308 for steel out to about 800m? Now i can obviously tell from experience that you can spend as much as you have and still spend more :( now ive come down to building a remington 700 or pick up an fn spr a2 witch i have found a good deal on. Im trying to keep the rig under 2k minus the optic rings exc.... Any input would be awsom.

Yea true....that is why im having a hard time deciding what to build a system from the ground up off a 700 varmint or aac barreled action drop it in a nice modular chassie with a good triger or buy a rifel like the fn for about the same $ ?

The FN's are great rifles from the factory. Your still getting a factory barrel tho. Putting a name brand barrel on you Rem my be a better option in ways of a more consistent barrel (accuracy, fouling, barrel life) Not to mention a few more options over the FN for stock and bottom metal.

Due to this being your FIRST bolt rifle.... why not just buy a 700 AAC in a 20" put a decent scope on it... and put the rest into ammo for practice. If you wanted... you could put it in a better stock than the factory but the rest could be wasted money if it becomes something that you do NOT like.

An older Remington 700 PSS would be another rifle to look at. You can find them fairly cheap as well and it saves you money for the optics....

Just my .02 worth. I have yet to understand why those that are "NEW" to long range... or bolt guns would drop the money on custom built rigs when in reality they have NO idea what will work for them. In most cases though... it allows some of us on here to purchase the rigs at a substantially discounted price.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Get a tikka t3 tac or a t3 sporter. Better accuracy than rem700 out of the box. Price about $1400-$1700 without scope.

Well i am new to this forum but not that new to long range shooting...the furthist my loca range will alow is 800m and i am getting sick of fighting the wind with 5.56 and yes my mk12 clone with 77gr will get out there...i feel that this task would be completed better with a 7.62 bolt gun. I preveously owned a rem 700 police years back and it would shoot 1/2 moa with 168 gold match...im just not a fan of the ergonomics of a standard rifel stock and as for the optic i have a NF 5.5-22 witch i had for a 308 ar build that never happend do to the new gun laws hear in NY :(
Im just looking to spend the money now and not later i like to buy one time and not 10 lol.....ive just red about poor accuracy from the lower end r700s in stock form? That is why i am asking does it even pay to build one in to a good shooter or buy a factory rig that is ready to go?

I would look then at the Rem 700 5R. Great out of the box and would give you a good start.

An FN (SPR) with the McMillan stock is a GREAT rifle.

Matt.

Wait just a few days, save a few more coins, and pick up a used TRG 22, or an AIAX or AE. There will be plenty of discounted AE's around with the new released models, any of those is going to shoot well, last forever and hold it's value if you decide to dump it later. I have bought a TRG for less than $2500 here on this forum, and it shoots VERY good. In 308, you have to shoot a rifle a LOT to wear it out.

Also, worth mentioning, my son bought one, with a NF scope, 6.5 Creed barrel, Atlas bipod and case for $4k. Just be patient, and watch the for sale section. I've seen GAP rifles in this range also, just be ready with the funds when the opportunity comes, that's the key, when a rifle like this comes up, most of the time, you have to close the deal quickly, or someone else will.

With a solid platform like that, you can focus on the most important part of the equation, the shooter, because it won't be the rifle.

Having said all that, I've seen quite few, every one in fact, 700 PSS in 308, be a shooter also, just not as slick as the rifles mentioned above. That's a lot less money, but the target can't tell.

Due to this being your FIRST bolt rifle.... why not just buy a 700 AAC in a 20" put a decent scope on it... and put the rest into ammo for practice. If you wanted... you could put it in a better stock than the factory but the rest could be wasted money if it becomes something that you do NOT like.

An older Remington 700 PSS would be another rifle to look at. You can find them fairly cheap as well and it saves you money for the optics....

Just my .02 worth. I have yet to understand why those that are "NEW" to long range... or bolt guns would drop the money on custom built rigs when in reality they have NO idea what will work for them. In most cases though... it allows some of us on here to purchase the rigs at a substantially discounted price.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

This is the platform for my first build. I had to modify the front of the stock because it isn't the firmest of stocks. But now it doesn't touch the barrel when on the bipod. And it shoots sub MOA at 300yards. Haven't had it out past that yet but I got one used for 475.00. Only had 58 rounds through it and the guy didn't like it. Scope from SWFA for 300.00 with a one-piece 20MOA weaver rail and haven't looked back.