• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

build or buy 338 Lapua ?

Bravo 1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2010
USA
If you were wanting a 338 who would you go with and why ?

Use ? hunting and or matches

I was looking at R Bros or Surgeon rifles.

Thanks in advance for replies.

FWIW- I used the search funcion and didn't get much.

Last edited:
Build...Cheaper and better.

I'd go with:

AICS stock, AX or STD.
Stiller Tac 338
Bartlein Barrel
Whatever trigger makes you happy

Find a good smith...

Everything up there, you could have parts within 2-3 weeks and a rifle within 6-8 if you play your cards right.

You could also go with a DTA // AI MC -- I'd personally go with the AI MC.

Use: whatever you want to do with it.

If you're going for distance -- As Frank has noted before, the 375 is an option worth looking into opposed to the 338...

If you're going for distance -- As Frank has noted before, the 375 is an option worth looking into opposed to the 338...

I was wondering can you get a 375 weight down to what a 338 weighs? My current rig is probably around 17lbs and just wouldn't want to carry around too much more weight. I hike around with a drag bag with all my gear so too much rifle weight could be an issue for me.

Yes, a .375CT can be made close to .338LM system weight, but will kick like a mule. In fact, I think Kiwi Greg has a lightweight .375 variant...

To the OP, why do you want a .338LM? I see a lot of guys who're used to shooting .308s out to 500 or 600 yards suddenly make the jump to .338LM, not realizing that it's so much more of a commitment than they expected. In many cases a .300WM makes a lot more sense, but as .338LM is hugely popular nowadays I can understand the desire.

I have done both. Go with a build and cry once. I had HS Precision do this last one and I will be keeping this one. Lot's of good builders out there and on here.

QUOTE=Dogtown;2981728]Yes, a .375CT can be made close to .338LM system weight, but will kick like a mule. In fact, I think Kiwi Greg has a lightweight .375 variant...

To the OP, why do you want a .338LM? I see a lot of guys who're used to shooting .308s out to 500 or 600 yards suddenly make the jump to .338LM, not realizing that it's so much more of a commitment than they expected. In many cases a .300WM makes a lot more sense, but as .338LM is hugely popular nowadays I can understand the desire.[/QUOTE

Been shooting the. 308 bolt for some time now and want to go out 15-17 hundred yards. I understand the

Just looking now and was wanting to pull the plug on one some time in the next 6 months.

Yes I have looked at the 300 win mag and 300 ultra and haven't excluded them.

Was planning to use a Thunderbeast can and NF Beast.

Will also look at the other recommendation-375.

I am aware of the commitment. I am nearing retirement and will have a lot of extra time that I can give to this hobby.

My only concern is finding primers at this time. Been trying to find Fed lg rifle match with no success for my. 308 so again I have some real concerns and just may stay with the. 308. If the primer issue is here to stay.

Keep it coming...I enjoy reading what others think and doing research on those thoughts.

I found far better accuracy with my 338 using CCI 250's. Just a thought....

A friend who is a gunsmith built a nice .338lm on a Rem. 700, I also had the choice of buying any other
.338lm and test fired Accuracy International; I bought a Armalite AR-30a1 .338 fixed stock and could not
be happier. It shoots 1" groups at 300 yds with most loads and on a no wind day hit 6" plate at 1000yds,
also I find .338lm easy to reload for; current load 250gr bullet, 92grs Retumbo, CCI 250 primer, Hornady
case. This load has same point of impact as Hornady 250 factory at 300 yds.

I have not shot the 338 armalite makes but I have an AR-30 in 300wm and it shoots fantastic for an off the shelf rifle. All it needed was an adjustable cheekpiece so I could get a good cheek weld.
I have a savage 110 Fcp hs in 338 it shoots well but is prone to sticking even lapua brass if I push a 300gr past 2650.
It all depends on what you want to do but for me the 300wm sees a lot more range time due to lower cost of ammo and easier to source components. Plus I only get out past 1000yds 3 or 4 times a year.

If you build, you get what you want.
If you buy an existing rifle, you get what the're giving.
Pretty much a no brainer.

I answered the build vs buy question with a Sako TRG. Couldn't be happier and there was the benefit of plenty of data to start loading with.

Agreed! Sako TRG 42 in 338 Lapua with a 1/10 twist. Put mine in an XLR Industries Stock, APA Fat Bastard Break...have made hits out to 2160 with the Berger 300-OTM and a bunch of Retumbo!

If your just banging steel or punching paper why not go with a 300WM or even a 284. I have shot my 284 out to a mile and its damn accurate. Easy on barrels and a lot cheaper to shoot. The big magnums are not all that much fun to shoot. You get a lot of blast and then they are expensive to feed.

Could also go with a 7 mag/ultra-mag first until you get out past 1,200 or 1,400. Then take the big leap to 338. Rounds would cost like 1/2 as much to load.

The big magnums are not all that much fun to shoot. You get a lot of blast and then they are expensive to feed.

I just have to disagree with this one, I can't get enough of shooting the 338 lapua. But then again I'll sit there with the 50 BMG and not put it down till the ammo runs out.

In this caliber especially it makes much more sense financially to build your own. For some reason the 338's that are factory built cost much more than standard calibers, whereas it wouldn't cost any more to build from the ground up in this caliber and you will end up with far better components. I built a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Bighorn Action with a Bartlein 5r gain twist heavy varmint bbl, jewell trigger in an AICS stock. It was an awesome rifle. I had it for about a week before I traded it for a 338 Lapua with a fella on here. I really like the 338 Lapua. It brings a lot of energy downrange and is very accurate. +1 on the win mag, though. Those things are typically very accurate, cheap ammo, and doesn't give up much to the lapua inside 1200 yards. I only wish Bighorn would make an action compatible with the 338LM, that is the best piece of machinery I have held in my own hands.

I've been struggling with this for a while too. I just couldn't justify not building one. Getting it started next week

Build it with rbros , I bought a 338 lapua savage and could only get 1 moa on a good day .. So I sold it and ordered a 338 lapua from Travis at rbros rifles .. It just showed up yesterday. Waiting my 10 days then I'm ready to go. He was getting close to 1/4 moa on his first few break in shots ,,, can't wait

Decided to have it built.

Going with a stiller action bartlein barrel. Been looking at AI chassis or McMillian.

ALLOITIND- need contact info for Travis at rbros. Never mind found it

Thanks.

Last edited:
Build, and Travis @ R Bros builds an amazing rifle. Talk to him about the 338 Edge as well, he has been using the Seekins bottom metal and getting OAL of around 3.940. If your not a handloader, 338LM all the way, I run the Edge

Had a McMillan, had a Dakota Arms; both were well made, fit and fucntion were flawless; grouped very well once I found the "load" they liked. Each shot well with Lapua ammo; but I reload and prefer my own, so it took me a bit to discover a happy combination. Both rifles liked Lapua brass (as did I and the resizing die), Sierra and Berger bullets; 250 grn. BTHP; (yeah I know there are plenty of others that work good; that's just what I like). The guns are a bit pricey at around $8000 and $7000 respectively, with optics. You might opt to have one built----one thing you may want to look at is the type of action you're getting for your money. Dakota builds a monster, Mauser style action with controlled feed, which most builders don't offer; also their actions have been time tested hunting dangerous game in Africa as well as having been sourced for military use (as have other builders). I have had no problems so far with either. I can pick up the phone and call Dakota anytime and talk the "the" man that built my rifle---who does that these days?---------------Best of luck with your decision.