• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build or Buy a Reloading Bench?

killerwaffles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
Houston, Texas
I am looking to either build or buy a reloading bench and i am looking for ideas. I am currently using a desk that is falling apart and i am looking for something durable. Is there anything you would recommend? Please show pictures of your reloading benches if you can

Re: Build or Buy a Reloading Bench?

Build.. two sheets of 3/4" ply screwed together and poly coated gives you a huge surface (4x8) to work on or cut back to 3' wide. I mount directly to my wall and use 2x4s (screwed together to make 4x4's) to make the legs. Then you can use the same 2x4s and strips of 3/4" ply to make shelves. Cheap and easy. Have the plans made up before you go to the hardware store and have them make all the cuts there.. then just screw together at home.

Here is a really old pick from my first bench I made:
reloadingroom1.jpg

you should build so you can have it just how you want. Can anyone tell me how to upload a pic from my computer on to this post?

Is plywood the go to top? Or is there better materials? like 2x12's butted together and sanded down?

I bought my dad some pretty nice shop saws a couple years ago and woudnt mind using them to build me a reloading bench.

I would put the top as plywood and put a 2x6 under the plywood up frount for support when you mount things to it.
2modwmd.jpg

I laminated 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF and formica - damn heavy but it stays put.Simple 2/x4 base with shelves added. Also made nice hanging cabinets for the walls but this is overkill (simply plywood is fine but I had left over materials from other project).

I'm about to build a new one.

Intending on 3/4" plywood topped with 5/8" tongue/groove solid oak plank flooring. At $3/sqft, only ~$100 for a tough, beautiful, prefinished top surface.

"Build or Buy a Reloading Bench? "

That depends a whole lot on your woodworking skills and the design you use.

A bench surface should be smooth, crack free and well finished so it won't get stained by spills and can easily be cleaned. That can be a sheet of plywood or any other seamless material.

The strength/rigidity of the top is more dependant on the under framing and where the legs are placed than what the top itself is made of.

Bench legs of plain 2x4 material provides all the strength we can use; 4x4 legs are a waste of wood.

I'm just finishing up my first bench. I used 3/4" birch on top of 3/4" mdf. I found the dovetail idea online. I would definitely build your own as you can customize for your needs and space. I just need to seal the surface and add an oak edge. The total cost of materials was only about $150 which is much less than buying one.
242fz0h.jpg

mvrn9d.jpg

If you bolt the press with lag bolts into a 2x6 you can take use almost any thickness plywood with no ill effects.

I bought this at Sams Club:
https://www.sevilleclassics.com/products.php?pid=371

Found it on sale one day for $109. Very solid and there was no way I could have built it for that much. Took about 30 minutes to put together. Not as big as I would like, but for now it fit in the space I have and will work great for a first time setup.

262445e.jpg
maple butcher block was the best thing i ever bought that i did not need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeltaGolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just finishing up my first bench. I used 3/4" birch on top of 3/4" mdf. I found the dovetail idea online. I would definitely build your own as you can customize for your needs and space. I just need to seal the surface and add an oak edge. The total cost of materials was only about $150 which is much less than buying one.
242fz0h.jpg

mvrn9d.jpg
</div></div>

Excuse the dumb question, but what does that dovetail arrangement achieve?

I was going to build my own bench based on the NRMA bench plans (a Google search will bring you to the PDF). In plywood/dimensional lumber materials alone I would be spending $1K. My labor would have been at least 3 days (I'm not a carpenter but have a bunch of tools. I dont own a shop area and the size would have had me working in the driveway - weather and my incompetence could have made 3 days a week).

My wife told me to check with a local furniture builder and get a price. I laughed at her thinking "This is going to be a ridiculously expensive quote". The quote from the builder was $2K, delivered and installed. Its huge money but I had been saving for two years. Considering I can convert my time building to cash at $320/day, I didnt think that was a bad price and I didnt have to risk digit loss. Again I dont think $2K is cheap but when I considered materials upgrades, my time, elimination of hassles it made sense. I bought the maple top at an add of $300. The bench was delivered and set up by the cabinet maker.

My bench is by no means cheap but spending the money has resulted in a really great space to work.

FinishedBench001.jpg

FinishedBench004.jpg

FinishedBench005.jpg

FinishedBench006.jpg

FinishedBench007.jpg

Talk to a local builder. You may be surprised to find their knowledge and access to materials makes them competitive and they will likely build you something very nice. This bench in maple way exceeded my plywood expectations.

Turbo-The dovetail sections allow me to mount different tools on the bench when I'm using them and have a flat bench when I need the space.

I did similar on my bench using extruded aluminum T-track from Rockler Woodworking (the blue lines routed into the bench top). If i want to clean a rifle I slide my press to the back of the bench and it allows for more workspace.

I could remove the press if necessary. If I want to mount another tool I'll buy another aluminum plate, mount the tool on the aluminum plate, than secure the plate/tool to the T-track.

For years I used a Gorilla 4' Work Bench. It was very strong if you weighted it with loaded ammo or something heavy on the bottom shelf.

I will add that the top of the bench is too thin and not acceptable to mount a press to. So I bolted a 2"x4" to the metal frame directly below the benchtop and lagged the press to that. Worked well for me. The best part is that it comes apart and can be moved very easily.

I've since moved and the house that I purchased had a nice bench in the garage already so I no longer use it.

If you do decide to build your own and want provisions to attach and remove the press repeatedly I used these wood inserts so that you don't tear up the bench top. Obviously this method isn't as nice as some that have already been posted but I don't have many wood working tools so this method worked well for me as it only requires the appropriate drill bit and hex driver.

Either way good luck.

I have never built a reloading bench, just simply used whatever work area was available. I may change that policy. My current bench is out in an unheated garage, and never was particularly good to look at anyway.

If I go for the indoor facility; I will build my bench, and do it with a serious regard to rigidity. Not because I will be leaning into the lever. If you need to use a lot of force you're doing something wrong. I just don't like things flexing and moving about.

I will also pay attention to easily cleaned, smooth white working surfaces where objects large and small are easily seen. I like the idea of using vinyl floor tiles for working surfaces. Easier to apply, easier to replace a damaged section. My kitchen counters are self built and surfaced with ceramic floor tiles.

There will be a minimum of cracks, nooks, and crannies where combustibles can collect.

There will be no rugs. Static electricity is no handloader's friend, and rugs can get impregneted with powder spills.

Storage and trash recepticles will be closed, and the working area will be kept free and clear of clutter.

No more than one type of powder, primer, or bullet will be out in the work area at any one time.

The vibratory cleaner will be situated where its vibrations can have no effect on powder measures or scales.

Electronic scales will be on an electronics-conditioned circuit, and fluorescent lights will be kept at a distance. The press will be electrically grounded to reduce the effects of static electricity. There will be a touch pad for personal grounding.

There will be no TV, and only one visitor's chair. Distractions need to be kept to a minimum.

There will be a separate work surface for working on rifles. Different tasks need different work areas, so they don't get in each other's way. The work room will have a door and an exhaust fan. I'll probably also have a model aircraft building area in the same space; sometimes one needs a change of pace.

Greg

I've given a serious look at a bench from Sam's Club in the following link. The website says $195, but they have it in the store for (hard to remember exactly) about ~$110. Hard to beat with built in lighting and electric. If I was gonna do it, I'd probably get two and bolt them together for an 8' long table and strap them to the wall in the rear with an "L" bracket.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3460484&navAction=

Those are some great points, Greg - always good to have another point of view from someone with experience.

build build build its the only way to go.you can even build it on papper alot cheaper till you have built what you are looking for.better yet there are many sites that have pics with many ideas to choose from.then you can use papper to form your on.when finished you then build it for real with a smile on your face.

No matter what you end up doing, just make it so that it is fuctional for what you are set up to do now and leave some room for more later unless you can afford to buy it all now, for me its as the wife lets me, lol. Im just glad to see that there are so many guys out there that are into reloading and shooting.

i built a table they outlined in the A-Square book "Any Shot you want". 36" deep by 72" long, two shelves underneath. can add shelves on top if you want to but mine already sits under cabinets. i am impressed by how heavy and sturdu it is... the top is 3/4 inch plywood sitting on top of two flat 2"x12"'s and the legs are made of 6 treated 4x4s. all lag bolted together.

7inthickreloadingbench11-19-2011-2.jpg

If I just keep screwing together more layers of scrap wood, the reloading bench gets stiff enough and heavy enough.

Delta Golf,

I really like that setup. Would you mind helping me with some dimensions? The dovetail is to securley mount a trimmer, press, etc and also can be moved out of the way when not in use

the bench is two craftsman benches together with a seven ft. top i put on them then polyurethaned it. the cabinets over the bench are kitchen cabinets from home depot on clearance sale.the gun cabinet i made myself.

My bench top is a blemished solid core door from home depot. I can't remember how much it cost but it was less than 1/2 price and it's extremely solid. It overhangs the base by about 8" and I can sit on the edge without it flexing.

The base is just some cheapo metal shelves. I used some 90 degree metal brackets to fasten the top to the shelf and I've got 2 bags of 25# shot for ballast (although it really doesn't need it). Pretty good work area for under 150$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to build my own bench based on the NRMA bench plans (a Google search will bring you to the PDF). In plywood/dimensional lumber materials alone I would be spending $1K. My labor would have been at least 3 days (I'm not a carpenter but have a bunch of tools. I dont own a shop area and the size would have had me working in the driveway - weather and my incompetence could have made 3 days a week).

My wife told me to check with a local furniture builder and get a price. I laughed at her thinking "This is going to be a ridiculously expensive quote". The quote from the builder was $2K, delivered and installed. Its huge money but I had been saving for two years. Considering I can convert my time building to cash at $320/day, I didnt think that was a bad price and I didnt have to risk digit loss. Again I dont think $2K is cheap but when I considered materials upgrades, my time, elimination of hassles it made sense. I bought the maple top at an add of $300. The bench was delivered and set up by the cabinet maker.

My bench is by no means cheap but spending the money has resulted in a really great space to work.

FinishedBench001.jpg

FinishedBench004.jpg

FinishedBench005.jpg

FinishedBench006.jpg

FinishedBench007.jpg

Talk to a local builder. You may be surprised to find their knowledge and access to materials makes them competitive and they will likely build you something very nice. This bench in maple way exceeded my plywood expectations. </div></div>

A couple of benches ago I went this route and hated it.
I think you will find you bang the sh1t out of your knees.
Try a counter top with some overhang.

Looks good though!

[/quote] A couple of benches ago I went this route and hated it.
I think you will find you bang the sh1t out of your knees.
Try a counter top with some overhang.

Looks good though! [/quote]

I considered how I work before hand. If I'm cleaning or loading I like to stand. Having the locking lower cabinets to store crap was a good idea for me, especially with kids around.

Buying the chair was the mistake.

Wow X-fan, that is not just a reloading bench that is a good looking piece of furniture. Ya with the kid deal its nice to keep them out of it for there sake but also so they dont mess up all your stuff. lol. Real classy

Those are pretty sweet setups you guys have. I really appreciate all the input. Its giving me some ideas

I have been scouring for ideas for quite some time, and at this point, I think a variation on the NRMA classic bench will work just fine. I likely will go with shelves, and not cabinets to keep costs down.

A lot of great ideas in this thread! And that maple piece of furniture is man-cave model home worthy!

ReloadinginfrontofthecomputersoIcan.jpg

When reloading gets repetitive, I move a press from the reloading room and clamp it in front of the keyboard and watch TV recorded off the cable TV receiver in my computer with Windows Media Center.

Use the hands to operate the press, but use the mouse to fast forward through the commercials.

Or I can post on SH.

all-work-and-no-play-makes-jack-a-dull-boy.jpg

Yea, I am not trying to overly complicate my bench, I am just looking for optimization. I was thinking about shelves on each side of a pegboard which will be in the center.

Killerwaffles,

My bench is 28Dx72Lx35.5H. You would want to adjust the height for your stature. That's just what worked for me. The back shelf unit is made from 3/4" birch plywood cut 9" deep and it stands 24.5" tall. The lower shelf is 1/2" plywood. The dovetails are 30 degree cuts and they are 7"D x 7"W. I got the idea from this site and just modified it to fit my needs and space. I used 5/16" carriage bolts on the legs and 1/4x20 bolts on the dovetail sections. Happy to provide any more info you need.

I've built every one of my benches and never looked back. I am a big fan of double layer 3/4" plywood with top layer being A/B so you can put a nice finish on it. I also wrap the faces with solid oak. Just my .02

Clark,

Be careful with those fingernails when seating projectiles or clicking the mouse.