• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Build or buy a western hunting rifle.... need advice please

JoedirtPNW

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
So i've shot a 300 win mag strictly for hunting since I was 10, my son also has a few kills with a 300 win mag (started at 12) I want to branch out....

So far im set on the 6.5PRC for most of my western hunting.

My goal is a crossover type rifle. I will hunt anything from black tail, mule deer, antelope, rocky/rosevelt elk along with black bears and banging steel.
Ive not been into precision rifles for long kinda just getting started, my goal is to have a rifle to practice and hunt with. I would like to hone my marksmanship skills, 6.5 PRC seems to be the best of all worlds, energy, cost, recoil.....

(1) Weight 7lbs and under. I put in 10+ mile day hunts, oz's turn to lbs.
(2) $2000 price range
(3) vertical grip stock w/non adjustable cheek comb, Manners EH1 stock or equivalent (27oz-30oz) close to factory Tikka stock weight.....
(4) 6.5PRC. 800 yards and out has more energy than a 300 win mag (comparable bullets)
(5) 20" threaded barrel
(6) %100 stainless rifle. I live in a rain forest....

Buying.... I really like the Seekins Havak, lots of great range reports. However im in western Oregon the 24" barrel with a 7" Thunder Beast suppressor is going to be a tad long for the brush. I really wish they had a 20" option.

Build a Tikka T3X, $600 used rifle, $400-$500 pre fit barrel, PVA has great range reports, more and more aftermarket support, action only weighs 28oz.... Cost??? Manners EH1 ??$600-$800?? EST $1600-$1900 build.

Build my Sako A7 (chambered in 300 win mag) I like the rifle real similar to the Tikka (med action) however the mags are crap and it shoots like crap, the mags only hold a max 3.340" COL. Standard soft point bullets need a COL of 3.500" to touch the lands. Stock has a more relaxed grip and low cheek height. Problems unknown custom inlet price (made call to Manners have yet to hear back) Unknown barrel thread, would be cool if Tikka pre fit works!! Cost??? I would save the $$$ in buying an action.

Build my Model 70 long action PRF. (chambered in 300 win mag) Probably my most favorite action. 3 position safety, easy to field strip, push round feed (controlled round feed is overrated) Issues well long action, its steel (not stainless) not too much aftermarket love for the M70.

Build a custom Rem 700 action..... Might push me over my budget???

I live in similar conditions and hunt the same way including the can.
After trying to have it all in one rifle a few different ways, I realized that at least for me it’s not possible.
20” barrel 6.5 prc is likely to have the same performance as a 6.5 Creedmoor. And yes I found this out the hard way.

My eventual solution was to have a 24” barreled 300 win mag
And an 18” 7-08.

The 7-08 is very handy with a can attached and still has the reach to get to 500+ yds

For bull elk or hunting out west I pack the 300 win mag

For rifles any of the ideas you listed would be fine
But check out Fierce rifles before you make a decision.

I haven't seen the data , but I doubt any 20" 6.5 at any range will compete with a 215 Hybrid energy wise .

I think the various 6.5s are a great choice for many hunters and shooters , just be realistic and don't be fooled into thinking that light bullets will do everything heavy bullets will .

What's your time frame? Depending on what parts you use it may take some time. If your in no rush then have some fun building with your son. It be fun for him and you to research and pick out parts together. Send them off to a good smith and weight for that magic phone call stating your rifles done.

Building a custom rifle off a 700 is a great cheap way to go if you dont want all the bells and whistles. Stainless steel rem 700 is $335. Lots of Smith's will true them pretty cheap if they are spinning up your barrel. Pick the stock, bottom metal, and trigger of your choice and go off hunting. If you want fluting, side bolt release, m16 extractor and so on. Just buy a custom action as it probably will cost the same.

With whatever you decide, have fun building memories hunting with your son and new rifle.

Reactions: JoedirtPNW
I live in similar conditions and hunt the same way including the can.
After trying to have it all in one rifle a few different ways, I realized that at least for me it’s not possible.
20” barrel 6.5 prc is likely to have the same performance as a 6.5 Creedmoor. And yes I found this out the hard way.

My eventual solution was to have a 24” barreled 300 win mag
And an 18” 7-08.

The 7-08 is very handy with a can attached and still has the reach to get to 500+ yds

For bull elk or hunting out west I pack the 300 win mag

For rifles any of the ideas you listed would be fine
But check out Fierce rifles before you make a decision.

18" 7-08 is an interesting idea !!!

20" PRC vs 20" Creedmoor I would think the PRC would have the advantage, larger body case should be slightly more efficient with a shorter barrel.

Im with you on the 300 for elk...lol A 300 WSM probably would do well with a short barrel.... Just want something with less recoil thats a little more fun to shoot.

I haven't seen the data , but I doubt any 20" 6.5 at any range will compete with a 215 Hybrid energy wise .

I think the various 6.5s are a great choice for many hunters and shooters , just be realistic and don't be fooled into thinking that light bullets will do everything heavy bullets will .

215's pack some punch I was just comparing 143 ELD-X vs the 178 ELD-X The PRC had more energy farther out. I've always shot 30 cal for ELK, people have success with the 6.5 calibers im still a little hesitate.

My plan it to get out and shoot more with the 6.5 PRC, take some classes get some precision time under my belt then think about the bigger calibers for longer range.

Even though I like my 300 for Elk, I have yet to shoot one over a 100 yards, just the terrain I live in. My son shot his at 42 yards. In fact the last 20+ years I cant even think any of my hunting buddys have shoting an elk over 100 yard.... The closest being 10 yard on a 6x6 :p

+1 for berger 215s in the win mag. They are like cheating

To the op
As a rule, the more over bore the cartridge, the longer the barrel needs to be.
Ie the 6.5 creedmoor is much more efficient in a 20" barrel than the prc.

What's your time frame? Depending on what parts you use it may take some time. If your in no rush then have some fun building with your son. It be fun for him and you to research and pick out parts together. Send them off to a good smith and weight for that magic phone call stating your rifles done.

Building a custom rifle off a 700 is a great cheap way to go if you dont want all the bells and whistles. Stainless steel rem 700 is $335. Lots of Smith's will true them pretty cheap if they are spinning up your barrel. Pick the stock, bottom metal, and trigger of your choice and go off hunting. If you want fluting, side bolt release, m16 extractor and so on. Just buy a custom action as it probably will cost the same.

With whatever you decide, have fun building memories hunting with your son and new rifle.

My son and I have a couple Antelope hunts coming up, 5-6 months maybe? That would be ideal but we have plenty of options in the hunting rifle area..... so 5-6 months is not necessary.

a slightly different reco than what you asked for, but in your price range and considering you like to hike pretty far, the Barrett fieldcraft might be worth a look.

Remington 700 mountain ss in .280 remington. It seems to be a good balance of weight, do-all power, barrel length and load tunability/availability. 9.5 twist is plenty for the majority of 168gr weight class bullets which sould be good for most aplications you are looking at. Not as sexy as a 6.5PRC but is tried and true as an “almost 7mag”

https://grabagun.com/remington-arms-co-guns-84274-700-mountain-ss-bc-280.html

Can use the money leftover for some decent glass. Wish i could afford/justify to go this route. Good luck!

I never heard back from Manners but McMillan said they can inlet my Sako A7 in their carbon Game Warden stock. 28oz!

CarbonSix wote back and said a 6.5 PRC in a Tikka style prefit barrels no problem. Damn might make a custom out of that Sako platform!

Leaves more money for a scope. Leupold Mark 5 :love:

I never heard back from Manners but McMillan said they can inlet my Sako A7 in their carbon Game Warden stock. 28oz!

CarbonSix wote back and said a 6.5 PRC in a Tikka style prefit barrels no problem. Damn might make a custom out of that Sako platform!

Leaves more money for a scope. Leupold Mark 5 :love:
What did you end up doing? Were you able to use a Tikka prefit on your Sako action?

What did you end up doing? Were you able to use a Tikka prefit on your Sako action?
Yep, Sako A7 6.5 PRC
IMG_3074.jpg

That’s a nice looking set up. I am putting together a 6.5 PRC on an ARC Nucleus in a long action. How do you like it so far?

Currently, I mostly shoot a Sako 85 in a 260 Remington, but I figure I will need to rebarrel it at some point, and it would be great if I could manage it myself. (I live pretty far from any gunsmiths and they tend to take a while on a gun)

That’s a nice looking set up. I am putting together a 6.5 PRC on an ARC Nucleus in a long action. How do you like it so far?

Currently, I mostly shoot a Sako 85 in a 260 Remington, but I figure I will need to rebarrel it at some point, and it would be great if I could manage it myself. (I live pretty far from any gunsmiths and they tend to take a while on a gun)

So far I like it! I wish I had a more compatible action for accessories though. My scope mount options are pretty limited.

With the wide availability of prefit barrels I just opted to buy all the tools for barrel changes. Once you do one swap its pretty easy.

Reactions: fmillik
I have the Optiloks on my Sako, which I am not a huge fan of. I recently got a torque screwdriver which helps. I think if I end up building a rifle off of the Sako's action, I would probably have it drilled and tapped for picatinny railing.