• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build or buy?

Killbox Alpha

Silenced America
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2010
North Texas
I am wanting to start shooting a 308 for semi long distance and I am looking for opinions on how to get started.

I was considering building a 308 from a Rem 700 heavy barrel and putting a AICS stock on it with a nice piece of glass. Or, just buying a AICS or a SAC. I'm not wanting to buy something and then buy something else in 12-18 months. What experiences have you guys had?

The Rem 308 I am looking at is intended as a hunting rifle. Not sure of the twist rate but I will contact Rem and find out.

Re: Build or buy?

Whats a SAC? Buy once cry once and leave the buyers remorse behind.... What ranges are you looking at shooting at? What do you want the purpose of the rifle to be? Budget? Are you set on .308 or have you given thought to other calibers?

What are semi long distances? Are you looking at competiton or just once in awhile going long? Are you planning on reloading or just shooting factory ammo? Look around through the pages and pages of the exact same question you have asked, and you will find an abundant amount of info to help your journey...

I think he means Short Actions Customs build? Anyways, I strongly suggest you buy the setup you want the first time. How far do you plan on shooting? You do not need a $4000 setup to shoot 400 yards. A sps tactical in a AICS will give you all the accuracy you need and then some for 400 yards, but if this is gonna be something you are gonna carry very far I recommend you avoid the AICS, its a pig. BTW if you do go with a custom setup, it will be about 12 months before you even see the rifle, so plan accordingly. If you go with a AICS drop in setup, it will be MUCH faster, cheaper and give you extra money for ammo, optics and some other things. If you do go custom, I suggest you buy used here on the site, it will be cheaper and no wait. Good luck!

Thanks guys. The distance I'm looking at shooting is 600 yards at this point. This is not going to be a competition rifle and yes I am currently reloading everything I put down range.

Save your money. Savage 12VLP DBM. It will never lose its usefulness, and it's a fine shooter O/O the box.

Save more money and get the Savage 10 Precision Carbine. Very portable and a tackdriver.

Greg

Greg always delivers sage advice. A Savage is a great first rifle and gives you the flexibility to change calibers yourself with just a couple tools if you decide to go with another cartridge down the line. The aftermarket is much better than it once was as well.

Josh

KBA I live in Houston and hunt in South Texas. This year I purchased my first LR rifle. FN SPR A1 in 308 was my choice. The area I hunt is very mixed in distance 50 to 400 yds for a shot at deer pigs yotes etc. As mentioned earlier- I agree purchase your top end once and enjoy for a long time. Good luck and enjoy life!

Ordering parts and building a rifle yourself is a great time, but buying a pre-built rifle used is much more cost-effective.

Keep an eye on the classifieds, there are some good deals on semi and full custom rigs. Or do what Greg recommended and build a customized Savage for less than $1k.

Read, read and read some more and you will see others do what you are looking for and you can learn from their experiences and get their feedback on what works for their particular setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordering parts and building a rifle yourself is a great time, but buying a pre-built rifle used is much more cost-effective. </div></div>

How do you figure? Although it can take a while at times to find a bargain, I have always saved alot of money buying the parts (stocks, barrels, bottom metal, triggers) used, here on the hide before I sent them off to the smith vs buying a prebuilt rifle. Not trying to call you out or anything, just curious.

Greg's idea is solid. Have not shot the one he suggests. Some of the Savages are great shooters. Can put 5 shots inside a dime at 100y with a relative's .308 Savage 10 FCP HS Precision. Savage 10 FCPs come with three factory stocks to pick from his is the middle. It has a DBM. Is one of my favorite guns I've ever shot. It has a 24" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. Factory Remington 308 barrels have a 1 in 12 twist not as good stabilizing heavier bullets. Savage rifle info including the model 10 FCP in the 'law enforcement series' is at:
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Pics and more about the Savage 10FCP in a McMillan factory stock is at:
http://www.snipercentral.com/sav10fcpmcm.htm

Was at Dick's sporting goods last night here in the NW. Until 4/23/11 they have the Remington 700 SPS Varmint black thick 26" barrel with the Remy 4x12x40 varmint scope (kinda inexpensive thick receptacle Simmons, Bushnell, or ?) in a 'Mossy Oak' camo stock with three vents in front for $499.98 and Remington has a $75 Varmint rebate at:
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-...teRoundup1.aspx

For a total end cost of $424.98 to you. More about the base gun:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx

They seem to have a package deal going on. When there is a special sometimes other sellers will match it so ask around, expect some to laugh as without volume may not get the package from the manufacturer - it is a great deal. Can start shooting and decide what you want to change later to optimize the situation on your budget. Not a bad rifle to start with at a good price now. The custom guys here on the Hide can then help you tune it until perfect. My guess is you will want better optics and maybe a few other things in time if you get into it. Even without modification should have a decent shooter under 500yd maybe more if you can see in the optics. Can sell off the short action stock, scope, barrel, etc ... if change. The thick 26" barrel looks good and should shoot better than some if try it. Felt a little front heavy in my hands when shouldered maybe they kick/raise less when shot that way (do not know). Just another idea to consider.

And do a search as there are lots of buy vs custom threads here on the Hide.

Some will disagree but I say again, Buy Once Cry Once.

I have had a few 700 action based rifles but none have ever filled that role of a precision shooter. I however do have a significant background with AR platform so fundamentals for me were, I would say very good. The reason I say this is, alot of people say buy a factory rifle and then just shoot it out. I did not want to go that route becuase I did not consider myself a novice shooter and I wanted something I could build my current skills on. Plus I'm going 18.5" so I can suppress it.

I just started my build and it is going to be a full custom build. I chose that route because whether I use it or not I know I have a rifle there that is solid, well built, and can handle whatever comes at it. I also like the fact that when you have a custom it holds its value better.

Just my opinion.

It depends on how much money and time you have, how much you like to tinker, and boils down to personal preference.

GA precision and surgeon, and many other companies, make great precision rifles but are expensive.

know what you are looking to need....remember these are just tools

everyone got to have a go-to .308, don't scrimp. on the glass.....in fact you will spend more on the glass than the actual gun.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your money. Savage 12VLP DBM. It will never lose its usefulness, and it's a fine shooter O/O the box.

Save more money and get the Savage 10 Precision Carbine. Very portable and a tackdriver.

Greg </div></div>

+1 Good advice.

In humble opinion you should buy the best you can afford. If you can afford it go with this - I have one and can attest to it's quality and accuracy claim http://www.surgeonrifles.com/products/ri...;product_id=266

Additionally, it's ready to ship so you won't have to wait and it's pretty much the best 308 rifle out there. (some folks here will obviously disagree)

Look at it this way. If you don't know what you want, don't drop a lot of money on one setup. Getting a Savage or R700 is a great idea beacuse you can buy fairly cheap and start shooting right out of the box. They're are a lot of aftermarket options on both, more on Remington, but still quite a few on Savages. Then as time goes on, you can add and subtract from that rifle depending on what YOU like. I started this addiction a couple years ago and still have only scraped the surface on things I need to learn

The "buy once, cry once" is a good idea if you already have a solid idea of what works for you. But if you don't know, then you're rolling the dice on a very expensive hobby with a lot of detailed knowledge to be had only after you've begun shooting your rig.

In other words, knowing what you want comes with getting out and shooting. So get a quality basic rifle you can shoot with and build up from that.

my strategy would be to buy a used savage for a good price, accumulate the quality glass, bipod etc do plenty of shooting till you figure out what you like in a rifle, not until then would the accuracy of the rifle be possibly holding you back, then either watch for the right rifle used or order a custom, when you get it transfer the glass etc and sell the savage the whole thing about buy once cry once really only becomes an issue if you pay to much at first. A good used savage will only cost 150 difference to buy and sell ( shipping,FFL fees etc) if you start with a high end rifle and it ends up not what you want it can easily be 1000 to change up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In humble opinion you should buy the best you can afford. If you can afford it go with this - I have one and can attest to it's quality and accuracy claim http://www.surgeonrifles.com/products/ri...;product_id=266

Additionally, it's ready to ship so you won't have to wait and it's pretty much the best 308 rifle out there. (some folks here will obviously disagree)
</div></div>

True, but looking at that, and then perusing gunbroker coming across TRG-22's for about 2.6K, makes me wonder. Granted, Preston makes a phenomenal stick, but still, its a freaking trg-22. The extra 2k you save will put a nice piece of NF glass on top, and be ready to roll.

I can understand the "precision built" thinking, but when factories already make precision proven guns, for a cheaper price, its kinda one of those "why bother" moments.

Unless your were being sarcastic, like a counter sniper pun, then my point is null/void

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In humble opinion you should buy the best you can afford. If you can afford it go with this - I have one and can attest to it's quality and accuracy claim http://www.surgeonrifles.com/products/ri...;product_id=266

</div></div>

True, but looking at that, and then perusing gunbroker coming across TRG-22's for about 2.6K, makes me wonder. Granted, Preston makes a phenomenal stick, but still, its a freaking trg-22. The extra 2k you save will put a nice piece of NF glass on top, and be ready to roll.

I can understand the "precision built" thinking, but when factories already make precision proven guns, for a cheaper price, its kinda one of those "why bother" moments.

Unless your were being sarcastic, like a counter sniper pun, then my point is null/void</div></div>

Pretty sure he is NOT being sarcastic on that one.
smile.gif

It comes down to cosmetics and what the owner prefers as far as ergonomics. You may prefer an A5 stock to a TRG, or an AIC stock to an A5. No offense to anyone that has one but I just think TRG's are ugly. Now I wouldn't turn one down if it was given to me but I wouldn't buy one either. You can flame me for it all you want but people still like what they own to look nice and to be pleased with it. If I'm spending that kind of money I want to be happy in every way with what I have purchased. For me I would spend the extra on the Surgeon. Plus that 591 is ROCK solid. Not to say a TRG is not but I just have my opinion like everyone else.

If you already have a 700 action you will come out a litle cheaper building on it but you wont have a custom action. You may have one that shoots as good as one but will you be happy with it? I have heard the saying on here of cry once and its just that. Spend the money right and get exactly what you want even if it takes 12-18 months at least you will be satisfied. Just my opinion from a guy who has cryed more than once!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at it this way. If you don't know what you want, don't drop a lot of money on one setup. Getting a Savage or R700 is a great idea beacuse you can buy fairly cheap and start shooting right out of the box. They're are a lot of aftermarket options on both, more on Remington, but still quite a few on Savages. Then as time goes on, you can add and subtract from that rifle depending on what YOU like. I started this addiction a couple years ago and still have only scraped the surface on things I need to learn

The "buy once, cry once" is a good idea if you already have a solid idea of what works for you. But if you don't know, then you're rolling the dice on a very expensive hobby with a lot of detailed knowledge to be had only after you've begun shooting your rig.

In other words, knowing what you want comes with getting out and shooting. So get a quality basic rifle you can shoot with and build up from that. </div></div>

I agree. A good example of this is finding a high dollar scope with an MOA reticle and 1/10 MIL knobs. When I was in the marked for glass I ran into a few of these.

why not buy a sako varmint and change the stock to Manners, McMilllan or AICS. great barrel, great action, nice trigger, metal detachable mag.

+1 for the sako trg 22, pretty well guarenteed to shoot great and the rest of it is phenominal. adjustable stock, unrivaled trigger, lightweight (relative to other tactical rifles), etc...

and yes i own one and love it. i have tried well over 20 custom rifles out in numerous stocks, actions, and barrle configurations and i ended up with a trg.

if you can swing the price of the trg do it!!

I say build.

hell, I haven't even ordered the stuff I want for my build yet (this week sometime, or next week) but just the pure research alone, I've learned what truing actions do, all the calibers, barrel differences, DBM kits. etc etc. had I bought it, I would have just had a great rifle. but less knowledge. I think building is more fun, and educational.

I'm glad I didn't just go buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It comes down to cosmetics and what the owner prefers as far as ergonomics. You may prefer an A5 stock to a TRG, or an AIC stock to an A5. No offense to anyone that has one but I just think TRG's are ugly. Now I wouldn't turn one down if it was given to me but I wouldn't buy one either. You can flame me for it all you want but people still like what they own to look nice and to be pleased with it. If I'm spending that kind of money I want to be happy in every way with what I have purchased. For me I would spend the extra on the Surgeon. Plus that 591 is ROCK solid. Not to say a TRG is not but I just have my opinion like everyone else.

</div></div>

I actually prefer the look of the TRG to a Mcmillian, though you are right, that is a very subjective point. Ergonomics are a little different though, think you would be hard pressed to find someone who didn't like the ergos of the TRG. You are right though, it is each person's individual choice and their money. I just don't see anything that surgeon rifle offers over my TRG for a boat load more money to even come close to justifying the cost.

the advantage to doing your own build is you get exactly what you want providing you can afford it. the down side is the waiting for it to be done and the cost. if you watch the classifieds on here you may have get lucky and find exactly what your looking for but most likely you will have to settle for something else but you may pay less and get shooting sooner.

good luck