• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build Plan - Open to Feedback

bgrav321

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2017
I currently have an RPR in 6mm that I have about 500 rounds with, including two classes. I've hit a mile with it at Rockcastle, and I'm comfortable with it. I have an MI rail, barrel cut to 20, PST Gen 1 6-24, PRS stock, Atlas, and Omega suppressor. Weighs around 17 lbs decked out with can, bipod, etc. I like 6mm but I got a deal on it; I didn't set out to go that route. 6.5 is fine by me. I have competed a little but there are very few matches around me these days. It's really a "match" type rifle, but I don't compete a lot. I hunt some too.

I have tried to get a short/light 308 project going for a few years on 700s and the accuracy hasn't been there (I've had 5 700s over last decade, only one of them shot). To answer the obvious question of intended use: hunting, target shooting, cheaper ammo, backpack rifle, and potentially the occasional match. I'm looking at two thought processes to get a handier rig going:

1) Try another type of short budget 308, such as a Ruger American or Savage that would involve lower quality glass. Ruger has a heavy barreled 16 inch american in a Magpul Hunter that would work.
2) Sell the RPR and use the money plus what I would have spent on a 308 to build a custom 6.5. Specs below:
  1. Straight Jacket Armory - Big Horn Origin barreled action with 20 inch Proof CF 6.5 barrel
  2. PST Gen 2 (already have one I can use for this)
  3. Keep the atlas and Omega
  4. Triggertech primary
  5. Still working on stock...I actually like Magpul hunters, but open to Grayboe, etc. I don't love KRG stuff unlike most of the hide. Don't want to spend 1K on a chassis, and probably want to stay under 4 lbs.
Total build cost on the 6.5 would be 2400-3K depending on options and stock choice.

Summary: Better to have two low/mid tier setups in two calibers, or one nicer setup that is a "general purpose" rig? The 308 rigs I have specified would have a system weight of around 12.5 lbs. This 6.5 I've worked out would be a total weight of 11.5-12, which is significantly less than the RPR. Buy a second lower end setup, or sell what I have and get one nice one? There is nothing wrong with the RPR and it shoots, and it's hard for me to sell a perfectly good gun that shoots. I've never owned a custom rig though and I've always wanted to.

I don't know if I really need to go back into 308. Simplifying my setups and getting a custom action both are appealing. My disposable income will shrink over next 5 years so, saving another 3K for a new setup will be hard.

If it matters to the discussion, I have a great 14.5 AR with a 1-6, and a SPR that has a 3-15 on it. Both are great and are used a lot. This isn't my only scoped rig, but I prefer bolt guns to semis for precision work.

Sorry for wordy post, I'm probably overthinking this.

My personal opinion is buy T3x lite and slap an swfa fixed 6 on it and call it a day

Keep the RPR and start putting money away for a 308 build or 6.5 if you really want it.

A custom 308 will give you everything you have been wanting out of it that the 700s have not. No need to settle for a 6.5 since it sounds like you aren’t sold on it like the 308. Everyone needs a 308 IMO.