• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build - Snipers Hide Group

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
Ok... Here is what I am doing...

I have a L/A Remington HS stock (PSS Style) and Badger bottom metal/mag (L/A as well). This was the left over from my .338LM rifle that went into another stock...

I am wanting to do a build with the stock/bottom metal.

**THIS WILL BE A GROUP DECISION**

Give me your ideas.... I thought of a .308 M24/40 build... but NOT sure if the L/A Badger metal and mag will cycle a .308 or not...

Thought of another .338LM build as well... Just DONT want to break the bank... but want to do a nice build either way...

Lets here what you have to say on a build... I will start getting the parts together...

If you have parts that will work... and want to sell them... let me know...

HERE IS WHAT WE HAVE TO START IT OFF..

P9241313.jpg

Thanks,
Matt.

Re: Build - Snipers Hide Group

You might want to put some side boards on the discussion - like what is the intent of use.

Cool concept.

Good luck

I will help with the action, just for 24 hrs from today, i will sell my long action for $310 shipped.......remember this offer is for you only........
For long range maybe in 30-06.

Use... mainly will be punching paper....some matches.... COULD be used for duty use... just depends...

I KINDA would like to stay with the .308 or .338LM build... that way ammo would not be an issue...

I can be moved either way though.... thats where EVERYONES opnion and suggestions come in...

I hinted around about a .338LM build for the soon to be wife... she was actually excited... strange...

Just keep the ideas coming.

Matt.

I have a long action .308. The only thing bad with that combo you have now is you will need to sell the mag and get one designed for a 300wm and adjust the feed lips.

Can your 338 use the mag? In that case you will just need to buy a 300wm magazine.

I'd go with a 20" 300wm or 338lm just to be different. Suppresed with brake of course.

Luvman,

I LIKE the idea of a 20" .338LM......

Ok... since the stock and bottom metal are designed for the .338LM... no need in changing...

What action can we get away with that will keep the cost reasonable...

What barrel...?

Still tons of options on the table...

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luvman,

I LIKE the idea of a 20" .338LM......

Ok... since the stock and bottom metal are designed for the .338LM... no need in changing...

<span style="color: #FF0000">What action can we get away with that will keep the cost reasonable...</span>

What barrel...?

Still tons of options on the table...

Matt. </div></div>

Depends what you consider as reasonable pricing. Most 338LM actions are going to be up there in price. If you go custom plan on $900.00 and up.

KYShooter,

Very true.... I have seen some of the custom actions... there NOT cheap...

HOW ABOUT THIS..... can a L/A Remington be turned into a LAPUA MAGNUM....?

I know the bolt has to be reworked..... but the action SHOULD be the same....correct????

If so.... Who here would accomplish the bolt work???

Thanks,
Matt.

I'm not up to speed on action choices for LM, but if it would work with the stock I'd go with a surgeon if the budget allows for it.

As far as the barrels go I personally lean towards cut rifled barrels.

i have been told all you need to do to a Rem 700LA is open up the bolt face and it can be chambered in 338LM. THe guy who told me has done it a few times.

I would've left the original rifle together, and in that stock. Then built a proper short action .308 from the ground up...

338LM, you know you want it.
grin.gif

Just my 2 cents. I would get a 338LM bolt made by PTG that is already cut for your caliber choice. Taking a remington bolt and milling on the face of the bolt can only weaken it and may give you problems down the road.

.300 win mag

Great long range performance, reasonable priced reloading components and lots of options.

And with the latest M24E1 upgrade for the Army and the Stiller contract to ramp up production of the MK13 for the Navy/USMC. I'm betting the .300wm is going to be the new "it" cartridge folks are going to be talking about, so you're going to end up wanting one anyway, especially if you already have a .338lm

KYshooter,

Can they just make the bolt... for an already bought L/A remington???

Or do you have to order the COMPLETE action and bolt???

That is worth a look at...

Skunk,

I have several built .308's... I just did NOT want this stock and bottom metal to sit around or go to waste.... plus I thought a big caliber build would be neat...

That... and I spent ALL day buying wood... and building my reloading table.... Just got done painting it up a little... and will be ordering all the presses and accessories in the next week or two.

Matt.

Matt,

I wouldn't want the stock to sit and collect dust either. I just didn't agree with someone's suggestion to build a .308 and put it in that stock. Would be a waste of a long action stock/magazine, in my mind.

My brother is actually building himself a .300WM for a stock just like that from a .338LM. He's been trying to trade that .338 magazine for the .300WM magazine for a few weeks, but no takers on the offer.

I've got an AI AW .300WM and it is an awesome round. Since you've got .308's and a .338, the .300WM would be a perfect in-between round. And, you can't beat the vast selection of .30cal projectiles.

Skunk,

Very true... I didnt even think of that...

But cant you almost imagine a M40 contoured .338 at about 22" with a suppressor attached....

Would be a FUN little shotter...

Right now I am just getting ideas and listening to EVERYONE.. I am getting my reloading bench setup... and in the next week or 3... will be moving ahead with this in one direction or the other..

Matt.

Matt,

A short .338 does sound like a lot of fun, especially with a suppressor. I've got no experience with a short .338, so I don't know it would work.

If it's going to be a "fun gun" you'd probably want it to be cheap to shoot....

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. Have fun!

True... I have thought about still keeping it usefull as well.

The Wife said she thought it would be cool for her to have a SECOND .338LM.. that way she could shoot as well..

I MAY... end up attempting it with a 24-26" barrel... It will be big.. and HEAVY... but that may help tame the recoil for her a tad more as well..

She is all for it... Just getting the reloding stuff together and ready and then it will be time to move forward.

I hope to have the table done today or tomorrow after work.

Matt.

If the wife is on-board, you've got the hard part done already!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.284 Winchester.... </div></div>

best idea yet, if you are stuck on 30cal give the 30-284 a shot, they will feed great out of aics 300wm mags and give you minimally 30-06 performance with good brass choices and a badass looking round with good performance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.284 Winchester.... </div></div>

best idea yet, if you are stuck on 30cal give the 30-284 a shot, they will feed great out of aics 300wm mags and give you minimally 30-06 performance with good brass choices and a badass looking round with good performance </div></div>

a good hunting round is a 338-06, easy to make by necking up the case with an expander ball. Not sure if it makes a good tactical round though...