• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build tools?

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    Somewhere I misplaced a set of tools to help build the upper and lower. Now I’m shopping for new ones. The Real Avid set looks good, but $250 seems a bit steep. Wheeler has a set too for around ~200 as well.

I’m probably more leaning towards piecing it together (which would be cheaper), so any strong suggestions for:

Armorers wrench? I’m looking at the Magpul
    Hammer and punch/roll pins? (I’m surprised I don’t have these laying around)
    Upper Block? Wheeler?
    Anything else I’m missing?

I’ve got a pretty good set of mechanics tools here, so I should be covered with a torque wrench and other basic tools. Just some of the more specialized tools need to be replaced.

I would piece it together. I like the magpul wrench. For me the Geissele reaction rod and a good set of roll pin punches and holders are a must.

Disclaimer: hobbyist, not doing this for a living though I learned a long time ago having the right tool for the right job is very important.

Wrenches: Magpul wrench is nice, but if you’re never going to use USGI barrel nuts it’s a waste, IMO. Your rail system probably uses its own barrel nut wrench. I own a Magpul, but I also own a Forward Controls Design “JCW” castle nut wrench since that’s the half of the Magpul wrench I use most and the portion of the Tapco wrench I was least satisfied with.

Upper: A Midwest Industries URR for the upper receiver assembly process and muzzle devices; cheaper and more effective than a Geissele. You could also consider the White Oak upper receiver fixture, it’s really interesting/unique. Additionally, you may find a clamshell useful for holder the upper for various work that’s not torque related; I don’t personally own a clamshell though.

Lower: Magpul BEV block or a standard delrin mag block. The BEV block is multi-use, but 2-3x the price of a mag block. Additionally, you could consider the Geissele Reaction Block for holding onto lowers from the receiver extension - I have never used one before, but just picked one up to try. I also really like the Little Crow Gunworks trigger guard roll pin pusher; I have used mine to install multiple trigger guards easily and without fuss. Some of my lowers took a roll pin tapped in with a hammer easily, some were more fussy (undersized through hole?) so I picked up the tool to get it done without worrying about destroying the lower’s trigger guard ears.

Blocks: I have a Wheeler bench block that’s quite thick and has cutouts for various work. It’s expensive for a piece of delrin (or similar material) and once you deviate too much from common dimensions (e.g. larger/protruding pivot pin) it becomes useless for that specific task. I also have a Real Avid block I just purchased to try since it has a few cutouts for disassembling the bolt and such and is cheaper than the Wheeler.

Punches: basic set of American made roll pin punches. More recently purchased a roll pin holder set, but you may find you don’t need them. Hammer to match, you may or may not need different weights. I think I have a 4 or 8oz I’ve used for nearly 10 years and just picked up a heavier one.

Reactions: required_user_name
    Update:

I have an armorers wrench incoming, and found a set of punches and other assorted tools cleaning the garage yesterday.

I am looking into the reaction rods vs the MagPul Bev block for the upper; will the Magpul work better than a reaction rod for barrel and muzzle device install? The reaction rods are almost twice the price of the BEV, and I could get a BEV and a Viper barrel vice for the price of one reaction rod.

Look at the Plastix Revolution upper and lower receiver vice blocks. Way better than a clamshell.

I have reaction rods, and delrin mag blocks. Have an magpul armorers wrench, my barrel nut is a V7 titanium GI style. Otherwise I wouldn't keep it or have bought it in the first place.
    Everything else is wrenches, punches and your typical torque wrench. Maybe crows foot sockets if you are the type to torque muzzle devices to whatever they are supposed to be.

Disclaimer: hobbyist, not doing this for a living though I learned a long time ago having the right tool for the right job is very important.

Wrenches: Magpul wrench is nice, but if you’re never going to use USGI barrel nuts it’s a waste, IMO. Your rail system probably uses its own barrel nut wrench. I own a Magpul, but I also own a Forward Controls Design “JCW” castle nut wrench since that’s the half of the Magpul wrench I use most and the portion of the Tapco wrench I was least satisfied with.

Upper: A Midwest Industries URR for the upper receiver assembly process and muzzle devices; cheaper and more effective than a Geissele. You could also consider the White Oak upper receiver fixture, it’s really interesting/unique. Additionally, you may find a clamshell useful for holder the upper for various work that’s not torque related; I don’t personally own a clamshell though.

Lower: Magpul BEV block or a standard delrin mag block. The BEV block is multi-use, but 2-3x the price of a mag block. Additionally, you could consider the Geissele Reaction Block for holding onto lowers from the receiver extension - I have never used one before, but just picked one up to try. I also really like the Little Crow Gunworks trigger guard roll pin pusher; I have used mine to install multiple trigger guards easily and without fuss. Some of my lowers took a roll pin tapped in with a hammer easily, some were more fussy (undersized through hole?) so I picked up the tool to get it done without worrying about destroying the lower’s trigger guard ears.

Blocks: I have a Wheeler bench block that’s quite thick and has cutouts for various work. It’s expensive for a piece of delrin (or similar material) and once you deviate too much from common dimensions (e.g. larger/protruding pivot pin) it becomes useless for that specific task. I also have a Real Avid block I just purchased to try since it has a few cutouts for disassembling the bolt and such and is cheaper than the Wheeler.

Punches: basic set of American made roll pin punches. More recently purchased a roll pin holder set, but you may find you don’t need them. Hammer to match, you may or may not need different weights. I think I have a 4 or 8oz I’ve used for nearly 10 years and just picked up a heavier one.
    Plus 1 on the Midwest URR

A reaction rod is much better for any higher torque work like barrel nuts and muzzle devices. It does not transfer any torque load to the upper receiver. Here is a decent short comparison between a reaction rod and a Bev block: