• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build vs Buy, your experience.

I build for the challenge of it.
A good barrel, bolt, and trigger.
Cheap out on most of the rest.
Mine are mostly all black because that is usually cheaper,
and it's more uppers than lowers
Black Friday and Cyber Monday are your build partners.
I'll second the MTB trigger. I like it.

Reactions: 65overlander
If the deal is right on a factory rifle that is a known quality... LMT, KAC, Colt (usually), etc, I am fine with buying factory. Or at least buy a complete factory lower + complete factory upper and slap them together. Especially if it is just a general purpose defensive rifle. If I am wanting a precision type rifle, I am going to build every time. That being said, I prefer larger caliber precision rifles. Lately I have just been filling in the gaps in my spare parts bins so I have stuff like LMT lowers with Colt LPKs and LMT uppers with LMT bolt and toolcraft carrier. They all pretty much work the same as long as you don't go to whothefuckareyoutactical.com, sort by price, and go ham on some half-the-price of everyone else parts.

build, always build. you end up with exactly what you want and you'll know how your rifle works so when it breaks (and it will) you can be confident replacing the parts that are broken/worn and not have to depend on waiting/getting gouged by a smith. after a while you'll end up with spares for the critical components further reducing downtime.

#1 reason I choose build is the deals I can sometimes get on used parts. Here's why:

1. I trust most on SH to sell honestly
2. It allows me to learn and experience different equipment from different companies
3. Gives me some small satisfaction that I put this rifle together.

If the deals mentioned in #1 aren't good than it's not worth the trouble and I buy exactly what I want brand new and build.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Like said before, Building is addictive, and upselling yourself, as " For blank more dollars, Free Shipping", next thing you know, your $ 100.00 order, morphs into $ 300.00! Between that and" Buy once, cry once" and telling rhe wife its an "investment", only works for the first 2 or 3 builds! If you can wait for black friday deals, its amazing how much more quality you can justify, for the budget price. BCM are my work horse uppers, and with competant milling, iVe turned out some nice work IMHO. Now 308 builds are different, as there isnt a milspec standard, thus causimg some minor fitment issues. My current build is Aero precision M5 upper, 80% Lower, Rock Creek 20" ultra match barrel, CMC 2 stage trigger, Supurlative Arms Adjustible gas block, Sprinco Orange spring, Griffin Arms , SOB buffer, Suppressor taper mount flash/comp, Lantec BCG, Spuhr mount, US Optics 3.2-17 B-17 scope, PRS Magpul stock, and although Only 12 round through, once getting on paper, and overgassing problem, last 7 rounds touching at 100Meters. Its what i feel a drug high would feel like!