• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Build your Accuracy 1st Speed Shooting Formula

223man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Marysville WA
I found this to be interesting:
By using the ATrag software, one can build his own speed shooting formula for his gun. After zeroing and then truing the gun. The user then can go to the TR under TARGET and place the target size in inches (12”). Then go through the following

1.2 = 254m = 1 mil
1 = 305m = 1.5 mils
.8 = 381m = 2.2 mils
.7 = 435m = 2.9 mils
.6 = 508m = 3.9 mils
.5 = 610m = 5.2 mils

By doing this, we have now built a dope sheet to perfect match our gun for these mil measurements. This will work out to 610m without ever having to know the distance of the target.

As you look at your holds you have just gathered. You will notice if you take the size of the image mil of the target and remove the decimal and then add the actual hold to it. The actual holds nearly equal 10, within a moa. So, 10 doesn’t mean anything, it just becomes the numbers that allows you to remember your hold.

Example:

Target mils .6, hold 4 mils: 6 + 4 = 10
Target mils .7, hold 3 mils: 7 + 3 = 10

This works really well out to 600m and allows the shooter to quickly engage a target with an accurate hold using the mil system, with an MOA, without ever having to know the distance of the target. It is a mil association drill.

I found this here it is about half way down.

http://horusvision.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/how-to-use-the-h58-reticle-by-todd-hodnett/

What do you guys think, useful or not and if so can some one help expand on this info.

Thanks,
John

Re: Build your Accuracy 1st Speed Shooting Formula

That works fine - as long as the target dimension is 12". You can build a table like that with columns of different target sizes, which I've done for matches where laser rangefinders were not allowed, and target dimensions were either known or given to the shooters beforehand.

At longer distances, you'll have to take environmental conditions into account, so the technique is less useful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That works fine - as long as the target dimension is 12". You can build a table like that with columns of different target sizes, which I've done for matches where laser rangefinders were not allowed, and target dimensions were either known or given to the shooters beforehand.

At longer distances, you'll have to take environmental conditions into account, so the technique is less useful.
</div></div>

Thanks Lindy. I totally agree, and it dose say that its only good to 610 meters. But that is exactly what I am looking for, something fast and easy for those closer engagements.

Thank you,
John

I'll look at the math to figure it out, but what does this tool do on other than 12" targets? I'm sure it's fine if you are hunting/shooting something 12" tall but other than 12" plates or an invasion of Lilliputians (who I think may have been shorter) I'm not sure how useful it is. What about calibrating for a 16 or 18 inch deer breast thickness?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll look at the math to figure it out, but what does this tool do on other than 12" targets? I'm sure it's fine if you are hunting/shooting something 12" tall but other than 12" plates or an invasion of Lilliputians (who I think may have been shorter) I'm not sure how useful it is. What about calibrating for a 16 or 18 inch deer breast thickness? </div></div>

I just used shooter on my phone and ran the numbers for your 18" target and found that 13 comes out to be the "constant". But remember that this is for my rifle with my loads(20" ar15,75gr hornady match ammo).
mil/hold
1.2=2.6
1=3.6
.9=4.3
.8=5.3
So from what it looks like the bigger the target the less you will be able to use this method. Hope this helps answer your question.

The reason they are using 12" is because it's the measurement from top of shoulders to top of head.

From my understanding their math is based for human targets.

R.