• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build your own "reliable," AR10?

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
Is it possible to build your own "reliable," AR10? I was going to build an AR10 to match an mk12ish clone (.308, 18" match barrel, contoured for AE30) I was going to build but have had a lot of concerns about reliability and with the cost of the build estimated at around $2000. Would I be better off with something else? Any barrel extension or BCG recommendations? I don't want to end up with a finicky .308, I want to be able to shoot brass Malaysian surplus and match ammo, with any fuss. I hope I'm not dreaming. Also really want a stay with a gas gun and not go piston.

something like a DPMS with a match barrel might be a cheaper route, but not as reliable as an LRP from JP

if you're going to shoot a lot of Malaysian surplus, stick with the factory barrel on the cheapest AR10 you can find and burn out the barrel before changing to a match barrel

Ricky, I am a clone builder. We work with "real" Mk12s, and also .308 variety, like Mk11 and M110.

If you have not done it before, a do it yourselfer for .308 is hard. I like analogies, so bear with me. Spanish is Spanish for those of us who know how to ask for "dos cervesas par favor," and that is the extent of our linguistic skils. But, my mother grew-up in Puerto Rico, and she had trouble speaking in Madrid, and does not understand Mexican Spanish. Then there are the Catlonians in Spain, who really speak another language. Forget about Portuguese, for which most of us think those two countries should be able to understand each other.

Not much is standard in the .308 world. Now, an entirely different question is why would anyone want to shoot Malyasian ammo, but I am sure there is a story there...

My recommendation is to start with a solid .308AR full gun from Stag, Armalite or CMMG. They make solid equipment. Then, you can start to customize. Another alternative, if you like the Mk12 SPR type, is to get someone to build you a Mk11 type rifle with a Mega Matten receiver set. Mega is solid, and tends to fit the higher-end rifles, like KAC, LMT and LaRue.

Until you want shoot Federal or Black Hills 168 or 175 grain ammo, I would not be picky on the barrel. Chrome-lined is preferred with ball ammo.

Haven't had any problems with my franken builds. Make sure you request a matched bolt from wherever you get your barrel, get an adjustable gas block and appropriate buffer assembly. My favorite build is a cheapo AR10 in 7mm-08. The most expensive thing on it is the black hole weaponry barrel. You don't have to have high end everything to make them run.

I want to be able to shoot BOTH types of ammo. I want to be able to shoot to distance with and then load a mag of surplus and let the wife or my sisters, or new shooters bang away at close steel with the ball ammo. Chrome-lined is out of the question. I just want to know if there is some sort of recipe for success. I planned to do a DPMS pattern rifle. I already have a seekins set I was gonna do a 6.5 in. I was going to build this one off an 80 and run a URX 3.1. I have the tools.

You dont need to spend $2000. Here is the link to my 308 Semi Budget Build Review thread I did for the Hide a few months back. That thing shot sub 0.75moa and ran like a swiss watch. A Hide member actually just bought it from me a few weeks ago since it was collecting dust in the safe since the review. Now, a lot of this stuff was purchased on sale around the holidays so prices will vary but you can still build a very accurate and reliable 308 semi for under $1500.00. Ive updated below with the latest prices. I paid just under $1100 in the fall with holiday sale prices. If you already have a handguard or any other parts then your build is even cheaper.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/budget-308-ar10-sub-3-4moa-build-thread.6546011/

Here is the budget build parts list

Aero Precision M5 308 Receiver Set - $239.98
18" Wilson 308 SS Barrel - $230.00
Toolcraft 308 Nickel Boron BCG - $145.00
Luth-AR Modular 308 Buttstock Assembly Kit - $204.00
Aero Lower Parts Kit No FCG - $45.00
Aero Upper Parts - $24.00
Geissele SD-E - $189.00
Seekins AGB - $57.00
WMD Melonite Rifle Gas Tube - $16.50
ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grip - $39.00
Odin Works 15.5" Keymod or MLOK 02 Lite Handguard - $204.00

Total Budget 308 Build Cost - $1393.48

Wilson barrels are top notch. WOA uses Wilson blanks and I have yet to have a Wilson barrel that didnt shoot and I have owned and tested many.

Here's a load development target with the above noted Wilson barrel with 168 ELD-M

gTrikYK.jpg

And here is one with 175smk

fAdsWxY.jpg

For a range rifle you will not beat the AR platform. As long as it is assembled properly from good parts it will kick the snot out of every other platform. The key is "good parts" though. If you are a cheap ass you will not end up with something that runs or groups well.

Have you ever built an AR before? And do you have in mind the sort of rifle that you'd like? My personal take is a light or medium profile barreled rifle that doesn't weigh a lot so I can hunt with it etc but if you just want a range weapon a bull profile might be better.

Padom, well you answered my question without trying. I think I'll contact patriot Valley then if you think I'll have better luck with them than Craddock. I was planning on doing a bartlein, since it has to be spun by a smith so I can have it contoured for my AE30 can.

And speaking of compass lake they said they can't do "rifle gas" anymore on their SPR barrels because they have had accuracy problems with the gas port having a burr left on it after drilling? Wtf? I'm pretty dead set on rifle gas...what does the hide wisdom think?

I want to be able to shoot BOTH types of ammo. I want to be able to shoot to distance with and then load a mag of surplus and let the wife or my sisters, or new shooters bang away at close steel with the ball ammo. Chrome-lined is out of the question.

Why is chrome-lined out of the question ? Is that a budget statement?

And speaking of compass lake they said they can't do "rifle gas" anymore on their SPR barrels because they have had accuracy problems with the gas port having a burr left on it after drilling? Wtf? I'm pretty dead set on rifle gas...what does the hide wisdom think?

I am thinking you might have misunderstood somewhere. I work very closely with CLE. I know they do not recommend rifle gas on most 18" 5.56mm barrels. But, I do alot of 7.62 rifle system barrel builds and no issue on 20" or longer, same in 5.56.

Last edited:
Stainless Steel barrels are a waste of money if shooting surplus. Also I'm lazy so I only use chrome-lined and melonite/QPQ/nitrided barrels.

You dont need to spend $2000.
Padom, great build. Did something similar a few months back in 6.5 Creedmoor. Used a lot of the Aero components, put in a MBT trigger, BA barrel, think the whole package was in the $1,600 area. The weapon runs and shoots much better than I could ever hope to shoot it. Also installed the Luth AR stock, I'm liking mine. Did you like the stock? What glass did you run on it?

It's really not hard OP just do your homework about platform compatibility.

Pick a barrel with excellent reliability ( read reviews.

Have the barrel properly headspaced

Run an adjustable GB

And correct buffer system/ weight ratio.

Best bang for you buck I would recommend the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit, get it in the DPMS platform. With a DPMS GEN 1 style lower like this...

https://www.rainierarms.com/aero-precision-m5-308-stripped-lower-receiver-black/

$1370.00 and done

Last edited:

I've had an 18" Craddock RC middy .308 and now have the cheap BA 18" with rifle gas. With rifle length it is much softer shooting to me. It's not like there's a lot of recoil with a .308 but it's the speed of the action operating if that makes sense. It seems easier to follow through with the rifle gas. Both had AGBs but to settle the middy down I was also running a brake and a heavier buffer. The BA just wears an A2.

I did
Why is chrome-lined out of the question ? Is that a budget statement?

I am thinking you might have misunderstood somewhere. I work very closely with CLE. I know they do not recommend rifle gas on most 18" 5.56mm barrels. But, I do alot of 7.62 rifle system barrel builds and no issue on 20" or longer, same in 5.56.

I didn't misunderstand anything that is exactly what I was told. They said any rifle gas system cannot be guaranteed to shoot on an 18" barrel. I don't want chrome lined because I'm looking for the most accurate rifle possible that will shoot 5.56 and .223.

Last edited:
Scar 17 all the way. Get a high desert dog barrel for long range and use the stock one for blasting.
Keep your primary optic and secondary optics in quick mounts so you can swap them out when they die.