• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Build your own sniper rifle

rezmedic54

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2005
AZ
www.maricopashooting.com
Can only use American parts off the shelf. No parts be from an overseas company that has a company here in the states.Second you can spend no more then a $1000.00 no gun already put together. You have to start from scratch and go from there. I'll start found a Stevens 300 win Mag for a $100.00 bucks. Found a seems to be a nice scope for $483.50 and a 20 MAO rail for $40.00. I like rifles somewhat on the heavy side so went with a Choate Super Sniper tang thing weights over 6 pounds. $229.00. Now Will probably catch some heat on this bot ordered a heavy 26" barrel it's an E. R. Shaw be here by Christmas if thing go well. You add it up comes out to right about $1018.00 so broke my own rule right out the open. SO anyhow as close to the $1000.00 as you can .Let's see what you smart folks can come up with to build a rifle And maybe Even a good one time will tell. So there my friends is the challenge,

Re: Build your own sniper rifle

Hmm

Pawnshop Action, $300
LW Barrel $200
Smithing $200
Rail $45
40X stock $65
CDI install and metal $265

Or scrap the whole trying to build and use cheap shit and go ahead and find a used Rem Police model in the $700-$750 range and your money ahead add a super sniper to it and your in the 1k club! No lame ass Choate Ultimate anything and a barrel that is most likely better than the Shaw.

Not a sniper rifle but my 1000 yard bolt gun.

Action: Model 70 $40
Barrel: Douglas Prem unturned blank $96
Chamber: 300 WM
Stock: Bishops, part. inleted $88
Glass: Weaver T-10 I had on hand.
Irons: Redfield Olympic (free from NG) $0
hand Stop: NG MKS Unit Junk Bin$0
Rail; Made from scrap metal $0
Pad: Took off an old shotgun stock $0

I did the work myself.

Total cost $240

Shot some dern good scores with this rifle when I was shooting for the NG.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cacciatore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^ That is awesome. A good shooting rifle for $240! </div></div>

I have more then that one. When I was in Alaska I met a guy who use to travel alot among the villages in the west coast of Alaska. Eskimos don't take good care of their equipment, including rifles. So he bought a bunch of trash rifles and stripped them.

He sold me "6" model 70 Actions for the total price of $235. That's where I got the $40 action.

I built three other guys on my NG Rifle Team 1000 yard rifles and I kept 3. Besides the above rifle I built a Vietnam Era Model 70 Sniper Rifle, and a 243 Hunting rifle for my wife.

Wife's 243 is one of the best shooters I have. Paid $106 for the barrel, got a new "take off" Model 70 stock for $50, and put a 4X Luppy Scope for $226. This one was a little more expensive then my 1000 yard rifle. $244 total.

But I made up for it by spending too much $920 for my Mann 5.56 Remington/kart Barreled action from a CMP Auction. So it all averages out.

Just be glad you're not into vintage military rifle shooting, when you add bayonets, period slings and cart. belts, etc, you really jack up the price of the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Or scrap the whole trying to build and use cheap shit and go ahead and find a used Rem Police model in the $700-$750 range and your money ahead add a super sniper to it and your in the 1k club! No lame ass Choate Ultimate anything and a barrel that is most likely better than the Shaw. </div></div>

Well said. Hell you can get a older VS which is close to the P for $500 on gunbroker pretty frequently. Only difference is the stock is a little different, still a HS, and the barreled action is more of a satin finish than the matte black parkerizing on the P. Add a weaver 20moa base to it, a used set of badger rings, and a SWFA SS for a total of about $430 and you've got a hell of a rifle setup and enough $$ left over to buy a few box's of match ammo or almost enough to buy a swiveling Harris.

I will break rule number one.

Mauser 98 action my dad sporterized back in his day. $147

7mm 9 twist montana barrel blank from the 70's 75$ at gunshow

Laminate stock maple walnut 5 layer. 200$ accurate shooter forum

Timney trigger tuned to 1lb 45$ bought back when rifle was first sporterized and retuned.

Butt plate will be scrap titanium off of a wrecked C17

Got a really old Leupold bench rest scope for christmas that is going on it till I can get one of those repro unertl's to mount on it.
Trued action and waiting on time to finish stock and ream barrel however have set this project in the closet.

467 still isn't bad but it isn't done yet so really doesn't count.

Going to snipe that 10 inch gong at 1000 plus. I have heard both good and bad about Shaw but will give them a try at worst I need to pick up another barrel. As for the stock don't buy for great buy it for heavy have a bunch of tears in my rotator cuff that can't be fixed so when it comes to the bigger calibers need to add some weight or a high dollar muzzle break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to snipe that 10 inch gong at 1000 plus. </div></div>

Mall ninja alert!

BTW I like that sweet chin weld on that rifle on your homepage in front of your bed.

PS you're not a sniper so you're not going to "snipe" anything.

I love when people call them Sniper rifles, no such thing!
a Sniper makes the rifle not the other way around...
a precision long range rifle Yes..
but only when a Military or school trained Sniper gets behind it, it becomes a <span style="font-weight: bold">Sniper's</span> rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but only when a Military school trained Sniper gets behind it, it becomes a Sniper's rifle</div></div>

Ain't buying that either. Lots of good LE Snipers out there, and don't discount the criminal sniper.............they do exist.

Sniper was originally a civilian term used by people that were skilled at hunting a tricky bird called a snipe. Never see this brought up very much in arguments about who can use the term.

missing the point, its not who can be called a Sniper but the term Sniper Rifle, its like calling all magazine fed Semi Auto rifles, Assault rifles..
I never discounted LE shooters, so I added or school trained sniper, but again not the point..
and I understand the origin of the word sniper and snipe hunting again, not the point, but anway..

enjoy the post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clay_James</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sniper was originally a civilian term used by people that were skilled at hunting a tricky bird called a snipe. Never see this brought up very much in arguments about who can use the term. </div></div>

Very true, but I doubt any people here referring to it in that context. Although that does bring back memories of a presentation I did in grade school on snipers.

What a geek fest. Everytime this term comes up. Give it a rest. Everybody knows what the guy is talking about - no need for a long dissertation on exactly what it should be called. When you're not argueing about what is and isn't a "sniper rifle" do you guys argue about Star Trek?

When I'm at a range I don't bother to correct guys when they talk about silencers or clips or bullets. Y'know why? 'Cause it's super geeky.

Kraig WY - that is one nice rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love when people call them Sniper rifles, no such thing!
but only when a Military or school trained Sniper gets behind it, it becomes a <span style="font-weight: bold">Sniper's</span> rifle.
</div></div>

Hmmmm....guess someone forgot to tell AI that?
wink.gif

AWmanual.jpg

or visited the AI website recently....
wink.gif
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love when people call them Sniper rifles, no such thing!
</div></div>

Hmmmm....guess someone forgot to tell AI that?
wink.gif

AWmanual.jpg

or visited the AI website recently....
wink.gif
wink.gif
</div></div>
Hahahaha I was going to bring that up if you didn't. And I agree with the above post who cares if you know that technically there are "no sniper rifles" everyone knows what the hell he is talking about

i bought a stevens 200 and will have potential if i were to sell my more expensive parts and include my loses to meet the sub 1000$ criteria you have outlined. me building the stock is where i make up ground that would have otherwise put me easily over the budget.

i bought the complete rifle for 300 and put a 100 dollar trigger on it and should be able to recoup about 75$ from selling the current barrel, stock and trigger. the barrel i am waiting on is not conducive to long range but does have a stealthy element being it is setup to lob heavy subsonic bullets down range. i can buy another barrel in either 6mm or 6.5mm and not have to sell the first to still be under budget. i will have to sell my current optic and would likely put a fixed 10x mill reticle one on there.

crude calculations are:
300 complete rifle
100 trigger
-75 selling off stuff not using
160 one barrel
160 second barrel
300 scope + 25 dollars for price lose selling current one
60 rings
20 for bedding compound

~ 1050 dollars.
very close at this point that a couple dollars saved over a couple purchases and it might still work; e.g. used scope or different scope, used rings, selling stuff for a little more money.

defiantly not as create or resourceful as some posting but it will be my rifle and no one else will be able to buy one like it. i have done some unique things and plan to do more to the action, bolt, and bolt release.

edit: fuzzy math

You guys buying your barrels are forgetting the price tag of having it put on your rifle but a gunsmith and either chambered or headspaced to your action. So your going to be a couple of hundred short with my calculations. Like someone said "Go buy a used Remington 308 heavy barrel and be done with it" It will outshoot most people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
understood. that is not a problem with the particular rifle i choose and is the largest variable why i bought it. i am able to swap barrels and set headspace myself.

i agree with you there are lots of little expenses im leaving out that will quickly put it another 100 over; drill bits and router bits for the stock if i choose to make the process easier for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys buying your barrels are forgetting the price tag of having it put on your rifle but a gunsmith and either chambered or headspaced to your action. So your going to be a couple of hundred short with my calculations. Like someone said "Go buy a used Remington 308 heavy barrel and be done with it" It will outshoot most people. </div></div>
With a Savage or Stevens, you buy a pre-threaded, and pre-chambered barrel and do it your-self. The tools to do it are about $60-70 total. And that includes the head-space gauges.

my goal is just the barrel nut wrench (25$ if i recall correctly). i have read of others being successful with just this tool and a diy barrel vise. knowing it is possible may provide the resolve i need to see it through till i knock that nut loose for the first time.
i also will be setting hs with the only ammo i will be shooting. not good for reloading or selling to someone else but i will never sell this rifle and will not reload the brass until have a properly spec'd chamber.

OK I'll play...latest build

Traded a free metal detector for a older flat back Savage 110 270 with a Redfeild scope...had a nice 3 screw trigger

I already have barrel wrench, action wrench and Go/NoGO guages

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle (free)</span>

New Unfired Factory Savage 110FP Heavy Barrel in 30-06 cost $100 SCORE!!!
Choate Tactical $225
Harris Bipod 6x9 (broken)$20 (fixed for $1.20, better than new)
SWFA 16X used $225
EGW 20MOA rail $25
Burris Extreme rings $45

$641.20
Offset by selling
Stock and 270 barrel sold for +$150
Scope sold +$75

Yields $416.20

Just ordered CDI DBM and 2 10rd AICS mags $385 (includes inletting and shipping)

<span style="font-weight: bold">$801.20</span>

Shooting ragged one hole groups with a classic cartridge...<span style="font-weight: bold">PRICELESS</span>

I guess neck and his friend wood are the experts on here that know all there is to know about the sport of shooting and the use of all the right terms so I will let it go any not step to there level as I have never met anyone that knew all there was about anything but I guess now I have met 2 in the same place a legend in their own minds thanks for your correcting me there neck and wood.

$1000? Good grief! That is too little to spend on something decent in my opinion.
smile.gif

remington700.jpg

Used M700 rifle $500
20X scope $300 (need to upgrade this)
Bipod $40

Total $840

Upgraded the barrel/stock and added a silencer.
Aluminum bed stock $250
30" Pac-Nor 338RUM barrel $400
Homemade silencer $260

New total $1750

.8 moa, 250 grain hpbt at 3000 fps and hearing safe out in the open.

Ranb

Ive got 2 "Sniper" rifle, top one is a 6mm, bottom a 308, both were $1700 with scopes. HS Precision stocks, Jewell triggers, TPS rings and 20MOA bases.
IMG_0455.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a sniper rifle but my 1000 yard bolt gun.

Action: Model 70 $40
Barrel: Douglas Prem unturned blank $96
Chamber: 300 WM
Stock: Bishops, part. inleted $88
Glass: Weaver T-10 I had on hand.
Irons: Redfield Olympic (free from NG) $0
hand Stop: NG MKS Unit Junk Bin$0
Rail; Made from scrap metal $0
Pad: Took off an old shotgun stock $0

I did the work myself.

Total cost $240

Shot some dern good scores with this rifle when I was shooting for the NG.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg
</div></div>

Nice gun, what year did you put that thing together?