• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building 6mm rifle

Oldmauser

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2018
I plan to build a one-purpose-rifle. This purpose is 300m and 600m f-class. My assumption is that I could get slightly better groups than out of 6.5 CM I currently shoot.

I started looking at 6mm. My primary scenario is 6 mm BR. Ideally I would go with a Dasher, but in Europe it's dufficult to get anything for Dasher (starting with gunsmiths having right reamer, not to mention dies).
Do you think that traditional 6mm BR would do the job? I am thinking "24, 1:8 twist.

6mm BR is great at 600. Example here I'd you haven't seen it:

From what I understand, 300 m people often use even smaller cartridges like 6mm PPC, so if that's the majority of your shooting it could be also used at 600. Good luck!

Yes, 6br is the right choice for 600m. At that distance the added punch from the dasher is just not needed and most find the 6br to be inherently more accurate.

This is what I have been thinking. I don't need additional recoil from 6.5 CM. If I go for 800m, I would go with 6.5 CM and heavy Berger bullets. But for 300m and 600m I would like to have as little recoil as possible.

There are plenty of PRS shooters who shoot 6br or a variant out to 1000 and beyond.

This is what I have been thinking. I don't need additional recoil from 6.5 CM. If I go for 800m, I would go with 6.5 CM and heavy Berger bullets. But for 300m and 600m I would like to have as little recoil as possible.
Where in Europe are you. I am in the middle of a dasher build by a too class smith here in the UK.

I'm on the other side of La Manche. I don't know a competent gunsmith who is doing the dasher, however I know some that have built a plenty of 6mm BR. Worst case scenario if I don't have enough time to reload I can always buy 6BR Lapua ammo off the shelf. This is not the case with Dasher.

If I was running 105 Berger Hybrid, what would be the velocity difference between 6 BR and the Dasher?

If I was running 105 Berger Hybrid, what would be the velocity difference between 6 BR and the Dasher?
~100-150 fps
You can make it more or less depending on how hard or soft you push either respectively. Id expect 2950 for dasher and 2825 for br in a hot but not too hot comparison.