• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing building a 308 garand?

Travis S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2004
marietta/macon, ga
Went to a gunshow and picked up a sa treiever with a criterion 308 barrel screwed on it. I have cai garand in 30-06 that I would like to use for the rest of the parts. Anybody forsee problems in doing this. If I'm not mistaken I'll need a spacer for the lifter/ follower for the shorter round right?

Re: building a 308 garand?

What you are thinking should work fine. I run mine without a spacer, but you must be very careful not to put 06 rounds in by mistake. The spacer will prevent this from being a possibility

Had one for years no problem doing what you are doing. Two things you should do. Spacer and clip the ejector spring becuse it will throw brass a long way due to it being set up for a 06 case.

Brian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it went together smoothly. Now what to do with that cai reciever and danish barrel.... </div></div>

You could probably sell the VAR barrel for a reasonable price on one of the boards devoted to those type rifles. The CAI receiver would make a good paperweight...

Yeah I figured it would only be good for a paper weight. I'll probably look for a smith that wanted the barrel and try to trade it towards a gi bolt conversion for my morinco m14s.