• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Building a custom hunting rifle...

S3th

Indecisive
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
Greensboro NC
If you were to build a new hunting rifle what action, scope, and caliber would you go with?

I'm thinking MackBrothers Evo Titatinum, VX-6HD and 6.5 PRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: YotaEer
Defiance anti, AG composites stock or manners eh3, Nightforce Nx8 or tt315m, in 6.5 prc or 270. I wish anti was available when I built mine.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
Action bighorn for controlled round feed or Mausingfield from arc. Able to change barrels with prefits is plus. Scope bushnell hunting line scopes with locking turrets and g3 reticle clean and useful. Greyboe ridgeback stock and cip bottom metal. 300 win mag 26inch barrel with brake

Reactions: matchbook454
I'd buy a 6.5 Tikka, a Bushnell LRTS from Doug @ Cameraland, and take all the money you just saved, buy 5 cases of 140 ELDs and book a hunt.

Leave the custom gun shenanigans alone. There really is no return for going custom. Just look at the classifieds. Full of "the perfect build" that wasn't perfect once the next shiny thing came around.

I built a 7 SAUM on Defiance hunter action in a Manner EH1. Topped with S&B US. I think you can take most anything on earth with a 7 SAUM and a 375. My 375 is a WSM wildcat, but I’ll likely be building a 375 Ruger. Love the 375 WSM, as it’s worked nicely on water buffalo, moose, red stag, Cape buffalo, sable, eland, water buck, and wildebeest, but it is more difficult to load ammo. Plus the shoulder makes feeding a bit tricky. Planning a 375 Ruger on Bighorn action for my dangerous game gun and 7 SAUM for everything else.

I'd buy a 6.5 Tikka, a Bushnell LRTS from Doug @ Cameraland, and take all the money you just saved, buy 5 cases of 140 ELDs and book a hunt.

Leave the custom gun shenanigans alone. There really is no return for going custom. Just look at the classifieds. Full of "the perfect build" that wasn't perfect once the next shiny thing came around.
You have a point... I might just buy a Bergara B14 Ridge.

If you were to build a new hunting rifle what action, scope, and caliber would you go with?

I went with a Jon Beanland built:

Bighorn Origin
8” twist Bartlein 5R #3 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
McMillan Carbon Ambush adjustable Game Scout
Triggertech Diamond
APA bottom metal
SWFA rings
3-12 Bushnell LRTSi

Load development was super easy. Had five different loads all group less than .6 MOA at 500 yards. One of those was a factory load. Really liking this rig. Best compromise I have found between portability and repeatable precision.

John

C7-B3-A901-8148-414-F-AC63-D2-D2-CB8-C85-AD.jpg

758-F96-DD-74-D1-4-EA2-8-CC7-80003-CAC1227.jpg

A58-C847-B-2111-4-B57-9-A47-6-EC93621827-A.jpg

8-EB2-BAF2-3-DD2-497-B-8-F33-D8-F498-CF79-DB.jpg

I snagged an unchambered 24" Proof Carbon 6.5 barrel here for a good price. Been thinking about what to do with it so I'm in the same boat. I'm not thinking lightest possible though.
I'm thinking short and light so I've been eyeing MKM's bullpup chassis with a Defiance action. Maybe Tenacity (cost savings) or even the anTi.
While the bullpup isn't light at a little over 4#, it's not crazy heavy either. Looking at it for its compactness when you screw on a can.
Not sure if I want to go 6.5CM or PRC. Thinking PRC if I ever go for something bigger than whitetail.

Reactions: S3th
I went with a 6.5 SAUM built by Southern Indiana Precision.

700 Action
Bartlein 3B fluted by Area419
McMillan A3 Edge
Jewell
SWFA 3-15

So far I have only been able to stretch it out 720 yards but it was hammering a 4x6” plate consistently.

I just built one specifically for hunting larger game ie; elk, moose. bears etc.

Altus Shooting Solutions
300 Norma
Defiance Deviant Hunter Nitrate
Proof Sendero 26" 1-9
Piercision Titanium 5 port brake 3/4-24
Sunny Hill Rigby BDL aluminum bottom metal
Huber 2 stage 2#
Manners Elite carbon MCS-T
Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 Mil-R
APA Truloc .856" rings
Weights 9lbs 11oz w/optic

Altus 300 norma.jpg

Gathering parts for one now. Have most in hand.
6.5SS shorty

Kelbly Atlas Tac SA
20" 1:7.5" Proof Sendero
Thunder Beast CB brake
TBAC Ultra 7 (should be in around Aug-Sept)
Manners EH1 (about a month out, already in for inletting)
PT&G Oberndorf canoe floorplate BDL
Wyatt's extended box
TriggerTech Diamond
ARC M10 36mm low rings
ZCO 4-20×50 MPCT2
MK level

Will be pushing the 144 Hyb or 150 SMK
Already have 100 pcs brass, dies, and 700 144 Hyb.

I snagged an unchambered 24" Proof Carbon 6.5 barrel here for a good price. Been thinking about what to do with it so I'm in the same boat. I'm not thinking lightest possible though.
I'm thinking short and light so I've been eyeing MKM's bullpup chassis with a Defiance action. Maybe Tenacity (cost savings) or even the anTi.
While the bullpup isn't light at a little over 4#, it's not crazy heavy either. Looking at it for its compactness when you screw on a can.
Not sure if I want to go 6.5CM or PRC. Thinking PRC if I ever go for something bigger than whitetail.

I'm debating between a 6GT and 6.5PRC. I don't think I want to do competitive PRS competitions, more so, just shoot long range. Plus I only foresee Whitetail in my future... maybe some mule deer.

I can confirm, after talking to the dead whitetails I've killed, they can def tell the difference between a custom 6 or 6.5 vs something factory and vanilla like the over the counter creed options. Its just a much more deader dead when you're talking custom reamers and throats and reloads. Something about shooting a reload...almost like the deer dies before the bullet gets there because it knows how much time and effort has been wasted dedicated to dialing up a load.

I'm debating between a 6GT and 6.5PRC. I don't think I want to do competitive PRS competitions, more so, just shoot long range. Plus I only foresee Whitetail in my future... maybe some mule deer.

If you reload, I guess you could go GT. I'm not aware of factory hunting ammo in that caliber, but I've never cared to look. Meanwhile Hornady offers factory match and hunting ammo for the PRC, because they developed it. Not sure if others have started offering it or not. I'm not a competitive shooter either. Maybe someday I'll look for a match.

As far as my own list, I've changed to a Terminus action with the Apollo Lite. Have a Curtis action and I like that 60° bolt throw which I think would be helpful in a bullpup.
This build isn't happening till fall/winter though. Have some 15 acres to clear and another rifle build to finish. Damn... money and shit... never seem to have enough.

As for the custom vs factory debate, it's more fun and satisfying to shoot what you assembled, in my own opinion of course.

I built my first full custom hunting rifle this past year. I decided to go with a 7ss in case I wanted to go out west and hunt something bigger, or with teeth. I usually keep an 18” 6.5 creed to hunt with, but I’m going to build an 18” 25sst next for a more compact rifle.

TS Customs built
7SS
24” Proof
Lone peak fuzion
Manners eh1
Minox zp5 3-15
SiCo omega
Pint size GC with gitlite fill

Attachments

• 4361C64F-5A08-42C1-A199-0AA888D65D41.jpeg
    4361C64F-5A08-42C1-A199-0AA888D65D41.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 125
If you reload, I guess you could go GT. I'm not aware of factory hunting ammo in that caliber, but I've never cared to look. Meanwhile Hornady offers factory match and hunting ammo for the PRC, because they developed it. Not sure if others have started offering it or not. I'm not a competitive shooter either. Maybe someday I'll look for a match.

As far as my own list, I've changed to a Terminus action with the Apollo Lite. Have a Curtis action and I like that 60° bolt throw which I think would be helpful in a bullpup.
This build isn't happening till fall/winter though. Have some 15 acres to clear and another rifle build to finish. Damn... money and shit... never seem to have enough.

As for the custom vs factory debate, it's more fun and satisfying to shoot what you assembled, in my own opinion of course.
Yeah, I reload and don't care for factory ammo. I agree, it is more fun and satisfying to shoot what you have assembled.

this!! I own a custom from APA, absolutely love it. It shoots way better than I ever will. That being said, I could’ve saved 60% of what I spent and bought a factory Tikka or Bergara and even nicer glass than I put on the APA. The guys building factory sticks have upped their game significantly

Reactions: 260284 and PFG
6.5x55 built on Rem 700 long action, brux 6.5 1-8 twist #4 barrel, McMillan sporter stock, Bushnell Elite 3-12 with g3 reticle. Consistent 1/2 moa rifle with 142 lrab at about 2875fps.

this!! I own a custom from APA, absolutely love it. It shoots way better than I ever will. That being said, I could’ve saved 60% of what I spent and bought a factory Tikka or Bergara and even nicer glass than I put on the APA. The guys building factory sticks have upped their game significantly

Yeah, there are a lot of custom hunting rifles that are essentially a Tikka CTR with "nice" components.

Reactions: 260284
I bought a Tikka CTR barreled action in 6.5 from a hide member got a deal on a Manners PRST1 and got a Leupold VX5HD 3-15 and it is what I use to hunt. Dropped a Mule deer at 300 yards and a Axis deer at 235 yards.

681767A3-8E6A-46B6-A798-7E8A31A6BC22.jpeg

Reactions: 260284
6.5SS shorty

Kelbly Atlas Tac SA
Thunder Beast CB brake
Wyatt's extended box
TriggerTech Diamond
ARC M10 36mm low rings
ZCO 4-20×50 MPCT2
MK level

I'm building almost the exact rifle! Only exceptions are:
ARC Mausingfield action
22" Proof Carbon Sender 1:7.5
....and of course, I'm not quite lucky enough to own a ZCO yet, but that too is on my list.

You clearly have good taste! :)

Reactions: lancetkenyon
I'm assembling parts for a new 25sst "short" hunting rifle. So far I have:

Curtis Axiom mag bf - full dlc
18" Bartlein 3b 1:7.5
Manners EH2
SiCo Omega
If I can swing it, a NF atacr 4-16x42

I'm assembling parts for a new 25sst "short" hunting rifle. So far I have:

Curtis Axiom mag bf - full dlc
18" Bartlein 3b 1:7.5
Manners EH2
SiCo Omega
If I can swing it, a NF atacr 4-16x42
You are going to love the 25SST. I have one on a 26" 1:7.5" Proof, and it is ridiculously accurate, and with a mild load, I am getting 3176fps. Had them up to 3350fps w. H1000 and zero pressure.

Bighorn with proof barrel and I really like my mark5 hd 3.6-18. It’s a good lighter combo for hunting. I do like the ag composite stocks someone mentioned earlier too. I would like to try that 6.5prc.

Biggest question I would have is; what/when/where are you hunting, what range, and how do you hunt (Backpacking, day hunts, 400 yds from the rig, blinds/stands, etc.)? All instate or will you fly internationally? Honestly without a good idea of the rifles purpose this is kinda a favorites list without context. Is this a sheep gun, 1000yd Idaho/Montana Elk rifle, BC moose murderer, eastern deer rifle, or general purpose do it all go anywhere with any species rifle?

Just finished my LW mountain rifle: Blaser R8 300 win mag Blaser std contour Barrel cut to 24” threaded/timed/torqued Brake for my TBAC 7 Ultra, custom CF forend with pic rail / CF butt stock 14” LOP / Swarovski Z8i rail mount scope / 7 mil Turret ZS / QD rail mount. 2935 fps /Factory Norma 180 Bondstrike 3/8 moa

8.3 lbs total with ammo and TBAC Can

A611F7CC-4A97-42F8-B459-39F84BCFDD75.jpeg

6.5SS shorty

Kelbly Atlas Tac SA
Thunder Beast CB brake
Wyatt's extended box
TriggerTech Diamond
ARC M10 36mm low rings
ZCO 4-20×50 MPCT2
MK level

Looking forward to shooting something with the 144 this fall too!

Looking forward to shooting something with the 144 this fall too!
They are crazy accurate. I open up the tips with a #60 wire bit. Hasn't seemed to alter the BC at all, or hinder accuracy out to 1251 so far. I have shot several sub 1/4 moa groups out to 500 with them, even just fire forming brass.

If I get my rifle 100% complete, might even take it pronghorn hunting this year. If not, I have plenty of others to take.

Last edited:
I think I am set on building/buying a Bergara B14 Ridge in 6.5 PRC w/ Razor LHT or VX6

Take a look at the VX5HD 3-15. It can now be had with a basic MIL reticle and MIL turrets. It would be between it and the LHT for a hunting optic IMO.

My latest is a defiance tenacity, 300 prc, 21” rock creek#4, mcmillan hunter in mcwalnut will have a razor lht on top to start with we will see if it tracks.

being built by wheeler accuracy, should be done in a couple months

Mid size american game, a Tikka 7mm-08, b&c stock and a 4-14 vortex.

American all arounder would be the same just in -06.

Heavey game and Africa non dangerous game, the same but 338 win mag

Action bighorn for controlled round feed or Mausingfield from arc. Able to change barrels with prefits is plus. Scope bushnell hunting line scopes with locking turrets and g3 reticle clean and useful. Greyboe ridgeback stock and cip bottom metal. 300 win mag 26inch barrel with brake
I've just got my Sako TRG-S/M995 back from PVA with new Paradigm carbon 1/9 twist chambered in 300 WM. Currently bedding the action into Manners EH1 stock with PTG bottom metal. This setup lets you load them long. I too have LRHS 4.5-18 mounted in optilock rings. May try Near mount if the rings don't work out

65EBD0F7-DED8-4832-9B3D-2F469C2E7B09.jpeg

Well, last night bedded it into EH1 that started off as a leftie Rem 700. Came out pretty good. Still have to touch up some paint and want to cerakote the bottom metal some sort of gray.
Have some H1000 on the way to try out some 212gr and 225gr

Winchester Classic stainless
20" Proof Sedero Lite
6.5cm
McMillan Edge HTG
LRI to accurize and do the work.
It'll be the twin to my 300wsm with a 24" barrel.

I had the NX8 on the 300wsm last year. So either going to pick another one up or switch them over to the Vortex LHT or VX6HD

They should be able to back each other up on hunts when I travel.

20200415_181054.jpg
20200415_181047.jpg

Last edited:
After reading the posts and looking at some beautiful custom builds, I think we can all agree, no harvested animal ever really cared what caliber or rifle was used to take its life. Barring very long distance shots where a custom/precision rifle would most likely be more appropriate and accurate for the kill shot, I believe any rifle and appropriate caliber you select (out of the box or custom build) is for the benefit and pleasure of the end user more so than to ensure a lethal kill. A .30 cal to the chest cavity is a .30 cal to the chest cavity! Doesn't matter what rifle it came from. But if your pleasure and pocket allow, then by all means buy or build your new custom rifle with the components of your choice. Life is really too short. Your hunting pleasure will be that much more rewarding for years to come. Enjoy your new build. Just my thoughts.

My latest is a defiance tenacity, 300 prc, 21” rock creek#4, mcmillan hunter in mcwalnut will have a razor lht on top to start with we will see if it tracks.

being built by wheeler accuracy, should be done in a couple months
9F91E09A-8C03-4430-ADF7-9FFBA5785E8A.jpeg
310065A6-9445-40ED-8270-3CDC63811247.jpeg
680399EB-1031-4698-9C7F-6E28F559780E.jpeg

Reactions: lou400a
6.5 PRC Mesa Precision Arms - 6lbs bare, sub .5moa with Hornady factory match ammo. easy to carry in the mountains.
1587341930905.png

You have a point... I might just buy a Bergara B14 Ridge.
I was thinking the same thing a few months ago about building a custom rifle. Just as mentioned above I found that it’s much more difficult to sell custom rigs and they don’t hold their value nearly as much. I’m now also highly considering a Bergara Ridge as I already have a HMR Pro and really like it.

I was thinking the same thing a few months ago about building a custom rifle. Just as mentioned above I found that it’s much more difficult to sell custom rigs and they don’t hold their value nearly as much. I’m now also highly considering a Bergara Ridge as I already have a HMR Pro and really like it.

I am going the custom route now. I am not too worried about resale values as in my personal experience I usually break even or better. Plus, the factory market doesn't really do justice after owning custom rifles in the past.

I'm building a lightweight (6lbs~) on a Ruckus GA Hunter XM or AnTi action XM. This is after several weeks of debating between a LPA Razor/Fuzion or Impact 737r. The Ruckus and AnTI both have the options for prefits so I'm getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor & another in 7mm SS or Sherman Max. Both which will work perfectly in the XM action.

The 6.5 Creedmoor will dual role Whitetail/Boar hunting and shooting out to 1,000+ yards. With scope and suppressor, I'm looking at 9lbs. Which will be fine for prone shooting at the range.

Last edited: