• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Building a do it all rifle.

Re: Building a do it all rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rhino02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright I have been shooting bolt guns my entire life and I have decided to build a general purpose precision rifle for all my needs. This rifle will be used for a little target shooting maybe twice a month and hunting. I live in NC so game here is not large but I want the rifle to be capable of killing elk size game without much trouble if I relocate to another state because there is a good chance I will in the future. Recoil is not a concern I can use a muzzle brake and reloading cost is not a huge deal either but barrel life does concern me I don't want a barrel burner because this rifle needs to last. What cartridge would be ideal for my needs I am going to be dropping a huge chunk of money on this rifle the final build will be around 7000 dollars with scope I am putting a S&B on it. I can't afford to do this over again and I would rather have quality not quantity as this gun will last the rest of my life. I was considering a tac ops rifle because I hear great things but I almost want to buy a surgeon action because of how well built they are. I am thinking a .300 wsm would be a good round for me to go to but I hear so many mixed reviews with some people saying they burn barrels. Any advice or opinions are welcome thank you. </div></div>

I was thinking of doing something similar to you a few years back, I just couldn't get something that could do everything that I wanted to do.

I then picked up a DTA SRS rifle, and it has caused me to get rid of a few of the rifles I had in my safe because they just didn't get shot anymore. If you don't mind carrying a heavier precision rifle hunting, I would urge you to consider one. The ability to swap calibers is great. If you happen to shoot out a barrel, you can easily replace the barrel on your own. It also give you the flexibility to use calibers down to .243 all the way up to .338 LM.

While this is not my do everything rifle, because I still prefer to have a light weight 7 lb rifle when pursuing big game on foot, it does damn near everything else I would like to do with a bolt action centerfire rifle. If I could just get a .22-250 conversion for it, it would do everything else that I would like to do with a bolt action rifle.

Also when comparing the DTA to a standard bolt rifle of the same weight, the DTA feels much lighter due to it being significantly shorter and having the weigh of the action near the butt stock.

I shoot one of their rifles competitively and would be happy to answer any questions you may have on their rifle system.

+1 on the .30-06. No belts, no case forming, no need for Finnish brass. Will anchor anything this side of Africa and is easy on barrels and the shooter.

AG in NC

Elk at 400 isn't an issue for a 308.
Want to target shoot out to 1K 308 will work
is less expensive to shoot that then other calibers mentioned.
minimal recoil
ammo every where

for an all around single gun its hard to beat.

The only down side is that, like the 06, it isn't sexy to tell your friends about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20" light varmint contour 7mm-08... </div></div>

I was going to recommend the 7mm-08 too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rhino02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright I have been shooting bolt guns my entire life and I have decided to build a general purpose precision rifle for all my needs. This rifle will be used for a little target shooting maybe twice a month and hunting. I live in NC so game here is not large but I want the rifle to be capable of killing elk size game without much trouble if I relocate to another state because there is a good chance I will in the future. Recoil is not a concern I can use a muzzle brake and reloading cost is not a huge deal either but barrel life does concern me I don't want a barrel burner because this rifle needs to last. What cartridge would be ideal for my needs I am going to be dropping a huge chunk of money on this rifle the final build will be around 7000 dollars with scope I am putting a S&B on it. I can't afford to do this over again and I would rather have quality not quantity as this gun will last the rest of my life. I was considering a tac ops rifle because I hear great things but I almost want to buy a surgeon action because of how well built they are. I am thinking a .300 wsm would be a good round for me to go to but I hear so many mixed reviews with some people saying they burn barrels. Any advice or opinions are welcome thank you. </div></div>

I was thinking of doing something similar to you a few years back, I just couldn't get something that could do everything that I wanted to do.

I then picked up a DTA SRS rifle, and it has caused me to get rid of a few of the rifles I had in my safe because they just didn't get shot anymore. If you don't mind carrying a heavier precision rifle hunting, I would urge you to consider one. The ability to swap calibers is great. If you happen to shoot out a barrel, you can easily replace the barrel on your own. It also give you the flexibility to use calibers down to .243 all the way up to .338 LM.

While this is not my do everything rifle, because I still prefer to have a light weight 7 lb rifle when pursuing big game on foot, it does damn near everything else I would like to do with a bolt action centerfire rifle. If I could just get a .22-250 conversion for it, it would do everything else that I would like to do with a bolt action rifle.

Also when comparing the DTA to a standard bolt rifle of the same weight, the DTA feels much lighter due to it being significantly shorter and having the weigh of the action near the butt stock.

I shoot one of their rifles competitively and would be happy to answer any questions you may have on their rifle system. </div></div>

1+ DTA, then don't worry if you burn out a barrel with a hotroad cartridge, or just get a few different calibers barrels.

I personally don't like hunting with brakes and everyone these days wants the biggest bullet that goes the fastest. I feel shot placement is the most important. Once you step up to a 7mm recoil can make the gun not as fun to shoot without a brake. I personally feel a 243 is a great all round cartridge. Another option is 6XC and 260 Rem. I have become spoiled over the years with good quality brass and won't build a custom gun unless I can buy Lapua or Norma brass for it.

I would vote for the 280 AI or the 30-06 AI bith can be loaded to kill anything in North America and they shoot with less recoil and barrel errosion than any mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rhino02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any advice or opinions are welcome thank you. </div></div>

My first thought is the .300 Win mag. The military uses it in some of their sniper rifles. I definitely would spend some of the budget on quality reloading equipment. I have shot .300 mags and the recoil isn't bad. It will let you know it is there but it is still manageable.

If I couldn't do a .300 Win mag My second choice would be a 7 mm Remington mag.

With either one you should be able to easily get 2000 -2500 rounds out of a barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rhino02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright I have been shooting bolt guns my entire life and I have decided to build a general purpose precision rifle for all my needs. This rifle will be used for a little target shooting maybe twice a month and hunting. I live in NC so game here is not large but I want the rifle to be capable of killing elk size game without much trouble if I relocate to another state because there is a good chance I will in the future. Recoil is not a concern I can use a muzzle brake and reloading cost is not a huge deal either but barrel life does concern me I don't want a barrel burner because this rifle needs to last. What cartridge would be ideal for my needs I am going to be dropping a huge chunk of money on this rifle the final build will be around 7000 dollars with scope I am putting a S&B on it. I can't afford to do this over again and I would rather have quality not quantity as this gun will last the rest of my life. I was considering a tac ops rifle because I hear great things but I almost want to buy a surgeon action because of how well built they are. I am thinking a .300 wsm would be a good round for me to go to but I hear so many mixed reviews with some people saying they burn barrels. Any advice or opinions are welcome thank you. </div></div>

I shoot one of their rifles competitively and would be happy to answer any questions you may have on their rifle system. </div></div>

If switch caliber is on the table I would have to at least suggest taking a look at the Blaser R8 series. They are light. Handy. Have all kinds of caliber options so the OP could have a target and hunting gun in common calibers. Wicked accurate. And it would last a life-time. 7k buys a lot of gun.

http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?L=1

I would suggest that one of the biggest issues for the OP to consider would be tolerable weight of the rifle. Round specific obviously, but light enough for easy carry in pack hunting situations, but if it's too light might not be so fun at the local precision rifle meet.

But my question might not be right for the OP since he is only looking for a lifetime of 2000 rounds. While that is a lot, it's certainly not forever for a consistent rifle guy.

But THE question is, if it's a do-everything rifle, does it have to be a one-caliber rifle? Only you can answer that. And I'm not saying Blaser. I watch this thread with interest. I tried to do something similar a few years back. And while I successfully carried a heavy target rifle in the field, I started to wonder why.

TTR

Might want to look at the FN-Herstal rifles with chrome-lined barrels. Chambered in .308win and .300wsm

For factory straight out of box use, would be hard to beat the .300wsm if really figure large game is on the ticket.

A factory .308win could be improved to .30/284 for duplicate ballistics of .30-06. See Hogdgon #26. Of course, a short-action receiver limits some bullet seating options that a .30/284 would have in a long action. Can also do an Ackley Improved .308win which I have some experience with.