• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a hunting 338 Norma

TheHebrewHammer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 1, 2021
The South
Howdy,

So I scored three cases of black hills 338 Norma ammo. Now I have to build a gun to go with it. I am very unfamiliar with piecing together bolt guns. I want to just buy a MK22 or M10 and be done with it, but you know, I'm Jewish. Ideally I would like an adjustable and foldable stock. I would like to keep the weight down so I was thinking proof barrel (if they make one for 338 norma). Lastly I would like to keep the build under $5,000 but I can always go over if it means I will have to rearrange my pants every time I look at it. So what do yall think I should go with in terms of parts and who should I have build it. I am in DFW, TX by the way. I play on throwing a Steiner M7Xi 4-28x56 IFS Tremor 3 on it in the eventual future when it is done.

You should be able to build a custom close to your budget.
What is the application?
Are you wanting a chassis or more traditional fiberglass/Carbon stock?
Going lightweight is a matter of opinion and not sure what lightweight is to you?
As you probably know, light weight and 338 Norma is going to kick like a mule!
This build will require a Lapua bolt face so it will typically be a heavier action unless you go with one of the Titanium actions on the market like Lone Peak. The folding stock will also make the rifle heavier as well.
Lot of great smiths out there that should be a able to build within your budget.
Give Travis at TS Customs a call and discuss with him. He builds a lot of lighter weight rifles Lone Peak actions and can help you through some of the decisions you need to make.
Good luck with your build!

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
I will probably go with a Fuzion Ti .338, ideally I would like a chassis like Cadex or AI (I am a Cadex dealer so price would be better). However, if a traditional stock had the adjustable butt, cheek piece, and could fold, that would be perfect. No idea if it exists in the folding configuration.

I know McMillian and Manners both have fold stock options but It may not be available on the stock you want. Most will have Adj butt and check piece options.
Cadex and AI will be heavy. Really not up on which chassis manufacturer will inlet for the Lapua sized action.

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
I wish Manners had an adjustable butt version of the MCS-TF2A or MCS-EHF1A. But it looks like I would probably go with one of those.

Trigger Tech Special
Benchmark Carbon are the barrels are what I am using, not saying that Proof is a bad barrel just had better results out of the Benchmarks.
I am sure the Bartlein's are very good as well but I have no trigger time behind them.

I reccomend Altus shooting solutions
I had them build a light weight 300 Norma for me.
If you go with a Defiance AntiX action, Proof research 26" barrel and KRG Whiskey 3 folder you'll be at about 11lbs without optic.
I did a Defiance Deviant, 26" Proof, Manners carbon MCS-T and im at 7.5lbs bare. 9lbs even with optic and 4rds of ammo.
20210720_123043.jpg

20210720_123225.jpg

I reccomend Altus shooting solutions
I had them build a light weight 300 Norma for me.
If you go with a Defiance AntiX action, Proof research 26" barrel and KRG Whiskey 3 folder you'll be at about 11lbs without optic.
I did a Defiance Deviant, 26" Proof, Manners carbon MCS-T and im at 7.5lbs bare. 9lbs even with optic and 4rds of ammo.
View attachment 7677517
View attachment 7677518
Do you shoot braked or suppressed? Hows the recoil on that 9lbs hammer?
Beautiful rifle by the way!

Reactions: Wyfox
I had a Titanium 5 port muscle brake on it and recoil was minimal, could spot my hits. Just too fucking loud for hunting, never had time to put earpro on. Suppressor makes it too long with 26" barrel and extra weight to pack since I average 10+ mile hikes while hunting.
So now I shoot it without a brake. I shoot a 199gr bullet at 3300fps, so it's pretty snappy recoil wise, It really gets your attention!

Thanks for the info. I am having one built as we speak it should come in right at 9.5 lbs and wresting with the same issue, break, suppressed or just cap it and deal with the recoil. Probably end up doing the same as you. Can you spot your shots at 500 yds?

Reactions: Wyfox
Not always, depends on the shooting position. Off the tripod with Hogsaddle the rifle moves too much. I plan on putting an arca plate direct mount on it hoping that will help. If I build a good sitting position off my pack then I can normally recover from recoil enough to spot my hits, it a 10x optic so that helps too! if your shooting on 16-20x probably not.

Reactions: Painless300
Sorry TheHebrewHammer did not mean to derail your thread. As I said earlier I would call several great smiths and have a discussion with them and decide yourself which of them to use and what parts you want to put your rifle together with.
Chances are you will change your mind several times and end up building several rifles as this is an addiction!!