• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a "precision" hunting rifle

rybe390

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Hey folks, round 2 of this discussion for me. I've been convinced that a somewhat purpose built hunting rifle is what I need for my next bolt gun.

So, I'm used to lugging a 14lb rifle around for hunting season, as 99.9% of my shooting is PRS style shooting. I'd like to build up a hunting rifle that has precision rifle ergonomics, but the weight of a proper hunting rifle. I am used to shooting a HMR stock, but also find KRG ergonomics to be excellent.

I'd like some help in figuring out what direction I should head for this rifle. I'm looking at 6.5 PRC or other short action magnums for the cartridge. I'd like a threaded barrel so I can run a brake, and eventually a TBAC can. I'd like to run a chassis or semi chassis stock.

I'm looking at Bergara b14 ridges, Tikka t3x lites or maybe CTR, and potentially a bighorn origin with a lightweight prefit.

Stocks, I'm looking at a KRG x-ray, as well as a grayboe phoenix.

Are there other suggestions for stocks and barrelled actions to look at, that would get me a relatively light rifle with decent ergos?

Thank you!

What is main game animal you are going to hunt and what is your max range for shooting said game? Big difference in energy requirements between shooting an elk a 600 yards and a whitetail at 600. I'm a western hunter and am really partial to a 7 Saum. I've shot a lot of elk with that cartridge over the years. Currently running one in an xlr chassis w/ carbon bbl.

My hunting rifle is simple and effective.
Remington 700 stainless in 30-06, squared and trued, barrel turned back and chamber cleaned up.
Jewell trigger, billet bottom metal, nice glass bedding, H&S stock.
Simple Leupold VX3 in 3-9x40.
7.25 lbs loaded and soaking wet with sling and harris bipod.
I've killed everything from rabbits to griz with it.
It easily shoots under an inch all day long.
Why complicate things unless you feel bling is equal to kills ?
Just putting a chassis on it adds at least a pound and probably 2.
Dunno about you but if I have to walk anywhere weight gets real important quick.

I went 6.5 prc on a lone peak Ti short action with a 24" 8 twist proof carbon. It sits in an AG composites stock. It is light enough to carry on a backpack elk hunt and has enough weight to still spot shots and enjoy shooting it. I haven't even tried to reload for it because factory hornady 143 eldx shoots great and im just running through a case i got lucky enough to pick up. Last season along that rifle punched tags on 2 Co public land bull elk out to 675, 4 Wy antelope out to 780, 3 pigs, and a few deer. Most were drt and none ran out of sight.
IMG_5787.jpg

I build a lot of rifles and shoot a lot of big game.

If you are a fit boy and weigh 80 pounds, you should hunt with a rifle and scope that is 5 pounds or less.... that is a 22.
If you are a fit 150 pound man, you should hunt with a rifle, scope, bipod, sling, rear bag, and ammo that is 10 pounds or less...7mmRM
If you are a fit 225 pound man, you should hunt with a rifle, scope, bipod, sling, rear bag, and ammo that is 15 pounds or less.....338 Lapua

A man has got to know his limitations.

I went 6.5 prc on a lone peak Ti short action with a 24" 8 twist proof carbon. It sits in an AG composites stock. It is light enough to carry on a backpack elk hunt and has enough weight to still spot shots and enjoy shooting it. I haven't even tried to reload for it because factory hornady 143 eldx shoots great and im just running through a case i got lucky enough to pick up. Last season along that rifle punched tags on 2 Co public land bull elk out to 675, 4 Wy antelope out to 780, 3 pigs, and a few deer. Most were drt and none ran out of sight.
View attachment 7784924
What do you have in it if you dont mind saying it

My hunting rifle is simple and effective.
Remington 700 stainless in 30-06, squared and trued, barrel turned back and chamber cleaned up.
Jewell trigger, billet bottom metal, nice glass bedding, H&S stock.
Simple Leupold VX3 in 3-9x40.
7.25 lbs loaded and soaking wet with sling and harris bipod.
I've killed everything from rabbits to griz with it.
It easily shoots under an inch all day long.
Why complicate things unless you feel bling is equal to kills ?
Just putting a chassis on it adds at least a pound and probably 2.
Dunno about you but if I have to walk anywhere weight gets real important quick.

XLR has a chassis that is under 2 lbs with buttstock and grip. But it isn't cheap either. Factory action I'd go Tikka, aftermarket is your choice, don't think any of them are a poor choice.

Reactions: cooper_257
What is main game animal you are going to hunt and what is your max range for shooting said game? Big difference in energy requirements between shooting an elk a 600 yards and a whitetail at 600. I'm a western hunter and am really partial to a 7 Saum. I've shot a lot of elk with that cartridge over the years. Currently running one in an xlr chassis w/ carbon bbl.
Mostly deer with the chance of elk, all in Colorado. I love everything about 7saum except rifle selection and having to load for it.

Might want to look at MDT’s light weight hunting chassis.

1642298072693.png

SPECIFICATIONS​

• Chassis body machined from AZ61A magnesium alloy
  • Fixed and folding version available
  • Ultralight weight design weighing between 26oz and 31oz depending on configuration chosen (folding version and ARCA version increase weight to the high end of this scale)
  • Foam filled carbon fiber buttstock deadens sound, vibrations and felt recoil
  • Carbon Fiber components provide warm to touch feel
  • Designed to diminish snag points and provide superior ergonomics
  • Low profile mag latch integrates seamlessly into trigger guard
  • V-Block bedding system with free floating barrel
  • Will accommodate barrels up to 1.25” diameter
  • Compatible with AICS style magazines
  • Front and rear QD
  • Front and rear sling swivel mounts
  • Vertically adjustable cheek riser with soft touch foam pad
  • 12.5” minimum length of pull with adjustable spacer system
  • Accepts most AR Grips but specifically designed with ultra lightweight Carbon fiber grip just over 1oz
  • Carbon fiber enclosed forend with MLOK, QD mount, Sling Swivel Mount
  • Cerekote finish in either Black Carbon Fiber or Cobalt Green
  • Titanium action / grip screws

Last edited:
I'm kinda opposite of you. I use a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor for Texas deer. But same as you I'm not a fan of normal hunting rifle ergonomics.

I solved my problem by putting a Tikka T3X CTR in a KRG Bravo. Chopped the barrel to 16" and added a TBAC Ultra 7 G2. Love that rifle.

Reactions: 2c1fr
Hard to beat a tikka ctr in a bravo. Scope and barrel would be limiting weight factors. i keep mine heavy.

i run a superlite in 7 mag for hunting and it‘s good for most anything in NA. Ultimately, will put in a proof or c6 carbon barrel and a woox, manners, or AG Composites stock/chassis. Think it will be quite a sweet lightweight rig.

I'm kinda opposite of you. I use a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor for Texas deer. But same as you I'm not a fan of normal hunting rifle ergonomics.

I solved my problem by putting a Tikka T3X CTR in a KRG Bravo. Chopped the barrel to 16" and added a TBAC Ultra 7 G2. Love that rifle.
Pics? Interested to see it

What I would do.

Step 1: to buy a 6.5 Prc tikka rough tech or veil (I think that’s what they call their threaded coated hunting guns
Step 2: Buy a tikka eh1 from px here, or order one from manners if you desire other add ons.

Put a good scope on it and shoot the barrel out.

I would rock a TIkka in a light chassis.
I also think the new Bergara Premier Divide is spec'ed out pretty well. AG Composite stock and CF barrel.

I build a lot of rifles and shoot a lot of big game.

If you are a fit boy and weigh 80 pounds, you should hunt with a rifle and scope that is 5 pounds or less.... that is a 22.
If you are a fit 150 pound man, you should hunt with a rifle, scope, bipod, sling, rear bag, and ammo that is 10 pounds or less...7mmRM
If you are a fit 225 pound man, you should hunt with a rifle, scope, bipod, sling, rear bag, and ammo that is 15 pounds or less.....338 Lapua

A man has got to know his limitations.
Lets see you shoot that pig 338 offhand having to wait 4-5 minutes for a clear shot thru the brush.
Yea....it's like that.
I'll just have to assume you've never done any real hunting....you know, sit in a chair and wait for the deer to show up at the feeder at the planted game ranch.

Not very sexy but a standard Tikka or CTR will fit that bill perfectly.
I find the factory stock fits me very well, just added the vertical grip and a few QD sling mounts.
The standard T3 lites shoot very well, I shot a standard 260 for my first few PRS matches and the pencil thin barrel held up very well.

I'd buy a Tikka and try it out in factory format, if you really want a chassis then an upgrade is easy to do after your first range trip/hunt.

Reactions: R700P308
As someone that has been down the roads of chassis, and eventually settles on a manners stock. I still have a KRG bravo. I have hunted with my PRS rifle and everything in between.

If you are planning on having to cover ground, and sometimes that is what it take to be successful, you want something lite.

The thing is you can build a custom gun, but for a hunting gun you will bot use it that much. I have just went down this road. I settles with a Tikka T3x lite Veil. Put my hand on one and fell in love. Decided that I am actually going to get 2 new hunting rifles. First one is the Tikka, its in 6.5 Creed. Mainly I have a ton of everything for it right now. I want something similar in 300 win. That is the next one for Elk and large game hunting.

Many of my older stuff is going away. As I get older I have an appreciation for Quality vs Quantity.

Reactions: jrassy
If you are going Bergara, you should get the Premier action. Much more robust/better design and smooth as glass. TriggerTech trigger, too.

Otherwise, just get a Tikka Ultralite. From the factory it'll be sub-MOA, the action is smooth (and a swept-back bolt handle solves 70% of the somewhat heavy bolt lift from the 70* action). If you feel the need to spend on an aftermarket stock/chassis... plenty out there to choose from.

Reactions: Gwak2006
Tikka in 300wsm in a bravo would be an easy button. I’d say 7 saum but see you don’t want to load for it. I’m not a huge fan of 6.5 prc for elk sized game, but I’m sure lots of people will tell you otherwise. AG composites and Mesa precision also make Tikka stocks if you want to go the carbon route and proof makes Tikka prefits.

Sounds like you're basically building an NRL Hunter "Open Light" rifle. I'd look at what those guys run.

IIRC, Philip Velayo built a 12lb gun with an X-Ray chassis, CTR action, Proof 22" barrel, and Kahles optic.

Have you looked at a Fierce Carbon Rival? REM 700 footprint with a 70 degree throw. Sits in a nice stock from the factory. 1/2 moa guarantee.
53CC540D-B634-49AF-B714-F042DD78CDE3.jpeg

Last edited:

What I would do.

Step 1: to buy a 6.5 Prc tikka rough tech or veil (I think that’s what they call their threaded coated hunting guns
Step 2: Buy a tikka eh1 from px here, or order one from manners if you desire other add ons.

Put a good scope on it and shoot the barrel out.
This is the route I think I'm going down, it seems a lot of people are of similar opinions for a hunting rifle.

This is where I ended up after trying to keep it light and have good ergonomics. Added the different angled grip and a Kalix Tecnik cheek riser. Rifle as it sits weighs around 9 pounds. View attachment 7786391

How do you like that riser? I really like the idea since I otherwise like my CTR stock, but it’s so expensive compared to a stock pack or similar.

How do you like that riser? I really like the idea since I otherwise like my CTR stock, but it’s so expensive compared to a stock pack or similar.
I really like it. It was pretty easy to install. I have a CTR stock on a T3x Lite and used a "stock pack" type cheek riser on it. I added layers of tape to get the height right. Still don't like they way it fits. That's why I ponied up for the Kalix.

I really like it. It was pretty easy to install. I have a CTR stock on a T3x Lite and used a "stock pack" type cheek riser on it. I added layers of tape to get the height right. Still don't like they way it fits. That's why I ponied up for the Kalix.
Good to know. My only issue is at $150 it's getting into enough money I have to think if I'd rather just pony up for a KRG of some flavor. The OEM stocks are some of the best basic synthetics on the market...but they're still just a sporter synthetic stock!

If you want lightweight, look at Manners Elite Hunter series, lots of inlets, CF with mini chassis.
Turnkey, check out the Seekins Havak.

I've got a couple in Manners EH1s and they're my go to hunting guns, I also have a Havak in a KRG Bravo that's a killing machine.

Lots of options, take your time :acorns:

Reactions: Tiltoperator
Where are you hunting?

The amount of deer my dad took out with a 30-30 while wearing jeans and whatever shirt he had on is staggering.

As is the amount of anything edible others I know have taken out with base model AR15s and whatever ammo they could get for the cheapest possible.

As long as you can hit a paper plate at whatever range you’re actually going to be shooting the critter, that’s about all you need.

The idea of spending $$ on a 338LM to bag a burger seems a little crazy, but if it makes you happy 🤷‍♂️

I’ll spend money to shoot good stuff for target, but when it comes to big stupid animals to put in my freezer, M80 ball works great, I also don’t like the idea (for many reasons) of shooting a deer on public or private land at a very extended distance).

I weigh 153 pounds this morning ....I may have 50 reamers, but 6.5-05, 280AI, and 7mmRM get the most use.
Lets see you shoot that pig 338 offhand having to wait 4-5 minutes for a clear shot thru the brush.
Yea....it's like that.
I'll just have to assume you've never done any real hunting....you know, sit in a chair and wait for the deer to show up at the feeder at the planted game ranch.

Attachments

• mule buck 625 yards 20171027_082623.jpg
    mule buck 625 yards 20171027_082623.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 79
…As long as you can hit a paper plate at whatever range you’re actually going to be shooting the critter, that’s about all you need…

… I’ll spend money to shoot good stuff for target, but when it comes to big stupid animals to put in my freezer, M80 ball works great, I also don’t like the idea (for many reasons) of shooting a deer on public or private land at a very extended distance).
Minute of paper plate with the cheapest FMJ ammo available? I wouldn’t hunt at extended distances either. And there might be many reasons, but the top of the list would be, “Because you suck.”

Minute of paper plate with the cheapest FMJ ammo available? I wouldn’t hunt at extended distances either. And there might be many reasons, but the top of the list would be, “Because you suck.”

Hey if it makes you feel better about yourself, sure lol, I dont have enough ego to really care.

For me hunting is about putting meat in my freezer and doing it ethically, its not a PRS match or benchrest competition, more accuracy is always more better, but for making a good shot and filling a freezer, a 30-30 that can punch a paperplate is going to work just the same as a AI 338LM, inside of 150yrds, which is most shots, and for most game.

Quick search
https://www.realtree.com/big-game-hunting/articles/what-kill-shot-statistics-teach-you-about-hunting

Again, if you want to show off your $10,000 rifle to your buddies, more power to you and there is NOTHING wrong with that, just you could probably as easily taken most of that same game with your grandpas 30-30, for some its about the meat, for others its about the social aspect, gear, ego, and maybe for some its all of the above 🤷‍♂️