• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a Rifle Rack

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
good evening,

I'm currently in the process of converting the empty area under my stair case to a gun and shooting stuff storage area. I am having trouble coming up with a good upright rifle rack design. I tried to search the site but to my surprise I could not find anything on building your own rifle rack.

Well I tried to come up with some rough dimensions. The rough dimensions I'm thinking are as follows..
-about 36" wide
-about 34" tall
-The butts of the rifles about 6-7" from the wall
-the inlets for the barrels about 4-5" from wall
-spaces about 5-6" apart.

what do you guys think? What do you think good dimensions would be? Any additional input would be appreciated.

Thanks. and if there is already a thread about building a rack please send me in its direction.

Re: Building a Rifle Rack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/folding-12-gun-r...=item2314658c9d

I bought one of these ^^^ a couple of years ago. Not sure it was exactly this one... I think mine came from Texas. Solid walnut, gorgeous and I doubt I could have have bought the lumber for what it cost. It works great.

I built-in a rack as well. Used turned wood dowel 'coat hooks' to separate the barrels, simply mounted to a 3" board that was screwed to the wall. The butts sit on a 'shelf' made of a plank with wood separators. I'll post a picture and some measurements over the weekend. The built-in supports a lot of weight well.

Cheers,

Sirhr

That sounds like it might work. Thanks.

ive been looking around for designs i think something like this will work pretty well.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/D0240.jpg

then i'll have the notches either 3.5 or 4 inches apart center to center and the notches will be about 2 inches in diameter

Made a couple modeled after the ones on 7.62x54R. Some 1x4 plywood ( use 3/8 and reinforce it with the 1x4 lot cheaper than 3/4) and a good afternoon. Most have 3" space maybe go a little farther if putting nice guns but it works!!!!

You might check out the woodworking guys at Sawmill Creek or WoodNet. I've seen some interesting gun storage projects over there from time to time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds like it might work. Thanks.

ive been looking around for designs i think something like this will work pretty well.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/D0240.jpg

then i'll have the notches either 3.5 or 4 inches apart center to center and the notches will be about 2 inches in diameter </div></div>

For what it's worth ... I built a very basic rack for use in a gun-vault. I found using a hole-saw made relative quick work of the top-rack notches. Drill holes in the middle of a 2x8 (at whatever spacing you select) and then rip the piece down the middle.

really easy to make one out of PVC irrigation pipes! I can snap a few pics of mine if you want ideas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemmyMaxhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">really easy to make one out of PVC irrigation pipes! I can snap a few pics of mine if you want ideas </div></div>

Ideas are good ... please do!

This is what I built. It is larger then what you describe but it might provide you with a few ideas.

100_0064.jpg

cant figure out how to post a picture of my PVC rack, but I found something close that shows the idea...you can build just about anything out of PVC pipes!:

387776294dHTiZu_ph.jpg

Anyone ever use a magnetic strip to keep the barrels on the wall (i.e. chefs knives)?

Watch out guys!!! He's shooting a Daisy Red Ryder 200 shot carbine with a compass in the stock!!!!

Forgot I promised to post some pictures. This is a segment of the racks I built.

The "thimbles" come from Home Depot. They are simple clothes hooks. About a buck each. The boards are just that... clear pine milled and tacked/glued together. Screwed to the wall.

Some bolt rifles are a bit close as the bolts protrude. But for lever guns/doubles.... it's fantastic.

rack2.jpg

rack1.jpg

Cost pretty minimal. Took a day to build.

Cheers,

Sirhr